ECM8000 microphone measuring techniques and usage discussion - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #161 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 03:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: ECM8000 microphone measuring techniques and usage discussion

Wayne,

where are the other calibration files are for and why do I have to use the ''narrow_band_response_0_degree.cal'' file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 05:04 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Not sure if you’re asking why you should use the narrow-band file vs. the third-octave, or why use the 0° file vs. some other?

Zero degree is the only orientation file type you’ll have unless you bought one of the upgraded calibration packages. If you did, there would also be 45° and/or 90° calibration files as well. I believe we’ve already discussed why 0° is preferable over the others, right?
If it’s the narrow band file vs. the third-octave that you’re wondering about, Herb covered that at Post #154.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #163 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 06:09 AM
Senior Shackster

thxz again for always your quick response Wayne.

Ok, so always use the narrow band response. CHECK!

But can you tell me where it is discussed why 0 degrees is the one to use?

(ps. I indeed have the version with 0, 45 and 90 degrees files)

post #164 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

What are you measuring? If you are measuring full range speaker response then the mic should be pointed at the test subject directly (0 deg). This is the only way to get accurate upper mid and high frequency measurements.

If you are measuring bass response of a room at the listening position, then an indirect reading is preferable (mic pointed straight up, 90 deg)

I haven't ever used the 45 deg alignment, but I imagine it could be useful for getting a hybrid measurement of both with the same sweep.
post #165 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 09:17 AM
Senior Shackster

I want to measure full range from 0-20000Hz for both my subwoofer and main speakers at the same measurement. Is that possible with REW?
post #166 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 11:56 AM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Question ECM 8000 & MacBook Pro - Request for assistance

I'm hoping someone here can give me some help. I am interested in learning how to use REW and need to invest in a microphone. The Behringer ECM8000 seems to be a good starting point but currently I am using an older generation MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo) running Mac OS X 10.5.8. I checked the manual to establish the spec on the internal sound card and audio interfaces on my system and this is what it says:-

An audio line in/optical digital audio in port and a headphone/optical digital audio out port for connecting headphones, speakers, microphones, and digital audio equipment.

You can connect external speakers, headphones, 5.1 surround systems, and other sound output devices to the headphone (f) port. The headphone port is also a S/PDIF stereo 3.5 mini-phono jack. When devices are plugged in, sound won’t come through your built-in speakers. Unplug any headphones or speakers to hear the computer
speakers.

You can also connect external microphones or other audio equipment to the audio line in port. The audio line in port is also a S/PDIF stereo 3.5 mini-phono jack, which does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use self-powered peripherals. Using a Toslink jack-to-miniplug adapter, you can use a Toslink cable to connect Digital Audio Tape (DAT) decks or digital instruments to input and mix your own music.

Questions:-

1. Is the sound card in my machine good enough ?

2. Is it better to get an external preamp/amp with the ECM8000 ?

3. What cables do I need considering that my main interest in REW is to use it to optimise my home theatre system.

4. I am interested in an easy workflow - e.g. long cables so that I can manoeuvre the mic without having to move my computer with it.

5. Are the ECM8000 calibration files available from the REW site accurate enough to avoid paying the extra amount for a dedicated calibration ?

6. Is the Mac Version of REW 5 just as good as the PC version ?

A comprehensive answer from a Mac user or otherwise will be appreciated as I would like to buy the right stuff from the very start. A kind friend on the forum has offered to help me to learn REW but he uses a PC and Windows OS and I can only start once I have all the right gear.

Cheers,

Sam
post #167 of 170 Old 07-05-12, 02:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
THX-UltraII wrote: View Post
thxz again for always your quick response Wayne.

But can you tell me where it is discussed why 0 degrees is the one to use?
My apologies, I confused you with someone else. Here ya go:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post532024

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #168 of 170 Old 09-15-13, 04:32 AM
manager

hi i'm new here, but i'd like to know more about the ECM8000. I'm going to buy it but i'm not sure for the price/quality... you guys maybe could help me! there is a similar price mic with better quality?

thank you!
Marco
post #169 of 170 Old 09-16-13, 02:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
MANAGER wrote: View Post
hi i'm new here, but i'd like to know more about the ECM8000. I'm going to buy it but i'm not sure for the price/quality... you guys maybe could help me! there is a similar price mic with better quality?

thank you!
Marco
Welcome

1. Deal with Herb from Cross - Spectrum if you can, here is his thread click here http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...rvice-usa.html

2. Purchase a calibrated mic
post #170 of 170 Old 12-02-13, 03:00 PM
Shackster
Viktor

Hi Guys.
I did some measurement of five ECM 8000 units in vertical and horizontal possition and I think it might be helpful to see responses from different mics:
Horizontal responses rel. to beyer MM1:

Vertical responses rel. to beyer MM1 (MM1 stays horizontal):

PS: The absolute level of SPL does not match between those pictures (levels bellow 1 kHz should match on each color)