Help with set up please! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 25 Old 02-08-15, 01:13 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Help with set up please!

If your computer has line/headphone out and line in you can use those, no need to use an external soundcard.

If you have the "Use loopback as timing reference" box checked in REW's Analysis preferences REW will be looking for the loopback signal. If you don't need this (you probably don't) uncheck the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 02-08-15, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Question Re: Help with set up please!

I have made some progress everything went okay until I got to check levels on preferences tab under soundcard check levels. I can adjust to 75dbs but then its says to adjust the input volume so it reads -18dbs I can adjust the volume etc. but that does not seem to work because when I go to measure and click on check levels it still says my level is low and it needs to be around -25dbs. I made some progress but lost again.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-08-15, 06:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
If your computer has line/headphone out and line in you can use those, no need to use an external soundcard.
John,

The OP is using a desktop computer. Youíve noted in the past that the headphone outputs of laptops these days is pretty linear, is the same true of late-model desktops as well? Asking for my own edification, as I havenít used a desktop on at least 10 years...

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #14 of 25 Old 02-08-15, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I am not trying to be a pain I promise and I do appreciate the help if I went and bought the correct mic. would I be having these problems? I was trying to save some money and at least get a feel for REW now I am getting a feel for it and it is not very good. Is it that much of a pain to use the RS meter, I just keep reading that it can be used so I thought why not. If I can ever get this too work that will be great since I am going to build a second Marty Cube within a couple of months.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-08-15, 08:10 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
nwf477 wrote: View Post
I have made some progress everything went okay until I got to check levels on preferences tab under soundcard check levels. I can adjust to 75dbs but then its says to adjust the input volume so it reads -18dbs I can adjust the volume etc. but that does not seem to work because when I go to measure and click on check levels it still says my level is low and it needs to be around -25dbs. I made some progress but lost again.
Not sure what “dbs” is; as far as I know there is no such thing. And I can’t tell if you’re taking about “Check Levels” in the Preferences / Sound Card window or the Measurement window. I also can’t tell if you’re adjusting levels in the REW window or from your receiver.

Basically, run the “Check Levels” routine and set the level to ~18 dBFS, and then you’re done in that window. If you’re not at 75 dBSPL (in-room measurement taken with speakers playing), then adjust the volume on your receiver so that your meter reads 75 dB. Then measure.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #16 of 25 Old 02-09-15, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Question Re: Help with set up please!

My mistake in preferences in the Sound Card tab there is check levels tab. I can set the 75db then it says to adjust the input volume to read between -12db FS to -24db FS by using the soundcard mixer, rew volume control, OS audio control. These have zero effect I can adjust the avr volume in addition to those to get the -18db fs. After this part I go to SPL meter tab prior to measurement, if I adjusted the previous input volume to read -18dbfs the db reading here is going to be off and even when I set it then hit calibrate it shows the highest it can measure is 130 db. When I then go to Measurement and hit start measuring I get a window that says my signal level is to low and I need to increase so it is reading -25db fs ( mine is around -55 to -66 db fs.) So that is where I am at stuck again. Is my avr not good enough, I have a Yamaha RX-V1600, or is the computer a HP Compaq 6000Pro Microtower with a generic Microsoft sound card not capable of this or is it just the meter dragging down the input volume. This is turning into a nightmare.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-09-15, 10:49 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
My mistake in preferences in the Sound Card tab there is check levels tab. I can set the 75db then it says to adjust the input volume to read between -12db FS to -24db FS by using the soundcard mixer, rew volume control, OS audio control. These have zero effect
This tells me that the signal isnít getting through from the mic (RS meter) into the sound system. I assume the meter is working (set to the 80 dB position?), so I imagine things are getting jammed up at the sound card.
What sound card outputs are you using to your stereo?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #18 of 25 Old 02-09-15, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Hi Wayne
This is getting aggravating to put it mildly. If you check the other thread I started in REW (REW and SPL) it explains exactly what I did today and what I used. I thought maybe if I started a thread in the REW site I might get more help. Just in case I decided to re use the Diamond external sound card. I used the Y 3.5mm from the line in on the computer to the rca output of the spl. I went from the left and right rca output of the sound card to a phono input on rcvr. I checked the correct input and output for the sound card under preferences. I did a check level for the sub I noticed the first and the third meter were reading. The second the input db fs was not. I tried adjusting OS vol. rew volume nothing I checked the cables to see if they were hooked up wrong still nothing. Then for the what the I tried changing the tab from the right channel to the left. Now both the output and input meter are reading just not the third ref in. I adjusted both in/out to within 6db. I went to the measure tab did a check level it came back around 96-97db and it was okay but I also got a small window saying a file was corrupt. I went ahead with a measure I have a pretty good peak at 70hz and the freq goes down to a little beyond 20hz. Am I at least doing something right or am I out in left field? As much trouble as this has become I am tempted to give it up until I build the second sub and get the correct mic. w/ the proper cal. chart. By the way the only way I could get the -18dbfs was to reduce the level on the spl, once I went from 80 to 70 I was able to use the OS vol and the rew vol. to make the adjustment. Hope I gave you enough info. to hopefully guide me thru this.
Thanks Norman
post #19 of 25 Old 02-09-15, 12:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
I used the Y 3.5mm from the line in on the computer to the rca output of the spl. I went from the left and right rca output of the sound card to a phono input on rcvr.
Sounds like you have the correct wiring, but using the phono input is a problem. Use any other input.

Quote:
I did a check level for the sub I noticed the first and the third meter were reading. The second the input db fs was not.
That’s normal. The meter is only feeding one of the inputs.

This just occurred to me, but the sound card should be set in its menu for straight-up stereo operation. No 5.1, no surround sound, etc. And you do have the sound card set as the default recording and playback devices in Windows, right?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #20 of 25 Old 02-09-15, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Smile Re: Help with set up please!

Maybe this makes sense to you but here goes a few months ago when I bought the card I was looking for a better sound and since I had 7.1 ht I thought why not the diamond had good reviews etc. I was concerned about the 7.1 channel so I called Diamond I was told the card is only going to play back the information it gets so I would imagine you are correct.
As far as the default when I ran REW it did it automatically WAVE was 100% REW volume was at 50%. So I guess with the exception of hooking up the rca to phono I set it up right ( must have been by accident!! )? So next question after you take a measure how do you know what to adjust and by how much on a dsp? For me it is going to be on the Inuke nu3000dsp. Also can the window be resized when I ran the measurement it was all pretty much squeezed together.
If I am on the right track I think I will pat myself on the back.