SPL meter - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 24 Old 02-18-15, 08:23 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: SPL meter

Quote:
Steeve-O wrote: View Post

Is the REW SPL meter accurate using an USB mic and the proper calibration file?
Yes, very. The other really nice thing about it is its plug and play unlike using the old method of having to get something with phantom power like a mixer and all the extra wires needed.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 02-18-15, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Steeve B.

I might go with the USB mic. I need to think about that.

Yeah the Quebec winter is sort of long and rude. It has been -20 to -33 degree celcius where I like since almost 3 week straight and it keep going. And they say earth is warming up? All I know is that I don't stop puting wood in the furnace.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-18-15, 09:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Its always strange how the weather patterns work. Here in Alberta its been mild most of the winter, Southern Alberta has even had record breaking high temps in January in the mid teens (60s F)

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #14 of 24 Old 02-18-15, 01:28 PM
Shackster

With the CM-140 you only need a common audio cable to connect to PC: 3.5mm jack conector to plug in the CM-140 and 3.5mm jack (usually)or RCA (it depends on the PC line input). No needs for phanton power like with the analog mics.
The only downside is its frecuency response is not flat. It is flat from 60Hz to 10KHz. Below 60Hz its frecuency response goes down to -6dB at 20Hz and above 10KHz it goes down to -5dB at 16 KHz and -12dB at 20KHz.

If you make mesurements with REW use the calibration file to correct this error and your measurements will be flat.
The little drawback is at that frecuencies where it is not flat, you loss a little sensitivity and dynamic range wich I think it is no problem.

I have the CM-140 and have no experience with USB mics (I buy it before they were avaliable), so maybe I am wrong and I am losing something.

Are there more advantages of USB mics over the Galaxy CM-140?
If so, maybe I buy a new USB mic.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-04-15, 10:26 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

To Steeve-O
I am from Québec. It is cold too!
I am new in EQing and all HT sound stuff. So I have a lot to learn.
I read a lot and had a few weeks ago the same dilema because I wanted to understand wht YPAO was doing. I found a new Galaxie CM-140 for 89$ US at B&H (108$ can livré à Québec). I do not have the calibration file (too expansive for now) but I will figure if I decide to go with REW EQ. For example felixm reply will help when the time comes.
This SPL helps me to put the sub at a better place and to see that my room is not as bad as I thought because it tells me that I have a pretty flat response between 20hz and 100hz.
P.S.: tu auras compris que mon anglais est approximatif !
Bye
post #16 of 24 Old 05-27-15, 08:15 PM
Shackster

My System

I am looking for a quality SPL meter that can be used with R.E.W.. Has anyone used a Bogen Digital Sound Pressure Level Meter? The features and specifications appear to be able to supply all the data that R.E.W. requires and comes with a USB cable. Thank You.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-27-15, 09:25 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

This meter doesn’t appear to have a line output for the mic, so I guess you only want it for the purposes of calibrating REW’s internal meter? The USB capability offers nothing for REW that I’m aware of.

Aside from features like waterproof or rugged construction, it should be noted that when it comes to sound level meters, “quality” means the ability to deliver accurate dB readings for noise levels. Most meters in this price range are Type 2 that are accurate +/- 1 dB. There’s no reason the Bogen shouldn’t be as good as any other meter in this price range. If you need something more accurate, you’ll have to move up to a Type 1 meter. They start at more than double the price of the Bogen.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #18 of 24 Old 05-27-15, 10:38 PM
Shackster

My System

As you mentioned that the model SPLM didn't have a line output for the mic, my spec sheet indicates that it has an AC analog signal output jack,3.5mm. Are we talking about the same type of ac signal output that the Galaxy CM-140 has and has been recommended for use with R.E.W.? Thank You.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-28-15, 06:46 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

So you intend to use the meter as a measurement mic also. Yes, that 3.5 mm jack has the same function as the one on the CM-140. However since there is no known calibration file for the Bogen it should be limited to subwoofer measurements, not full range. So honestly I don’t know what the Bogen brings to the table for REW, especially since you can get a custom calibrated CM-140 from Cross Spectrum Labs for $40 less than the Bogen’s street price.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #20 of 24 Old 05-28-15, 10:02 AM
Shackster

My System

I checked the Cross Spectrum Labs deal and it looks as if I want to have the equipment to take full advantages of R.E.W. I should order the CM-140 and the umik-1 at the same time. Would this be the best selection to make at this time? Thank You.