Help make the best choice - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 03-26-15, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

Help make the best choice

I started a thread in computers http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...bang-buck.html thinking that it might be the place.

I know that all things come in good time. If to run REW do I absolutely need the most expensive laptop money can buy? I know it cant be for the sound card because none of them are really that great.
If I will need to buy an external sound card regardless, then this will make my search easier. Do I need one with the fastest processor?

Thanks Mike

Hope to learn something new, and know how to use it.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-15, 08:06 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Help make the best choice

No special needs for REW. Any old computer running XP will suffice. Maybe you can buy an old one from a friend that he has stored in a closet.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

If I understand, I will need a usb port for an external sound card?
All cabling and mic, will plug into sound card?
How about the spl meter?

I am not doing anything yet, however I am just wanting to make sure I understand everything ( and equipment involved) before making the next step.

Mike

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 01:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

For an SPL meter you can get a free app on your phone that will do the job.
As far as a sound card as long as the PC has an internal one that has a line input your good to go. Ideally you should get This mic the mini dsp umik1
http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1
It plugs directly into the usb port on the PC and your good to go.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 02:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

To perhaps clarify Tony’s comments a bit, whether or not you need an external sound card depends on the mic you choose. With a USB mic like the UMIK no external sound card is needed. It’s only necessary with a traditional mic like the Dayton EMM-6, that uses an XLR mic cable.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

So that I understand! I guess like most audio, everything is as good as the weakest link?

I have been looking at laptops thinking I needed to have one with decent sound card. So I get directed to an HP with beats audio. Now I am thinking that it needs to be able process a very large frequency range.
This particular model will only go to around 31hz. Am I wrong in thinking that if I want to know what my system is doing thus my subs I want to be able to get down to around 15hz.
Am I wrong?
Now my understanding is that on the (a) laptop the line out 3.5 is dual purpose. However this mic in question plugs into usb so the pc/laptop in question most definitely needs a usb port.

Now if possible to use on board sound card, and mic in question, and of course REW software that i will not have any issues performing said task?
Although needing assistance in deciphering analysis.

Mike
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 04:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
Audiodreamer wrote: View Post
I have been looking at laptops thinking I needed to have one with decent sound card. So I get directed to an HP with beats audio.

This particular model will only go to around 31hz. Am I wrong in thinking that if I want to know what my system is doing thus my subs I want to be able to get down to around 15hz.
Am I wrong?
Absolutely not. The sound card will be what generates the signal that the mic will measurement, so it needs to be accurate. My understanding is that most laptops these days fit the bill, but apparently not all Ė is this an older or low-end model that youíre considering?

Quote:
Now my understanding is that on the (a) laptop the line out 3.5 is dual purpose. However this mic in question plugs into usb so the pc/laptop in question most definitely needs a usb port.
Correct.

Quote:
Now if possible to use on board sound card, and mic in question, and of course REW software that i will not have any issues performing said task?
Shouldnít, especially if itís a Windows computer.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

Quote:

Absolutely not. The sound card will be what generates the signal that the mic will measurement, so it needs to be accurate. My understanding is that most laptops these days fit the bill, but apparently not all – is this an older or low-end model that you’re considering?

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#ixzz3Vj5xGosN
This is the model that I was looking at.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-...&skuId=3008063

I might be wrong about the specs on the sound card, however that was all I could come up with.

If anyone has other information I would appreciate.

Otherwise what choice would I make that would have an acceptable sound card, that would not break the bank.

This Hp model is probably still more than I would like to spend. I feel I really only need for the purpose of REW.

Mike
post #9 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 07:29 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
Audiodreamer wrote: View Post
This is the model that I was looking at.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-...&skuId=3008063

I might be wrong about the specs on the sound card, however that was all I could come up with.
Where do you see sound card specs? They arenít jumping at me.

If this is only for REW, why not just buy a used computer? Iíve had good luck for years buying used laptops from vendors on ebay. Never paid more than ~$250 for one, and I could have paid a lot less for models even older with slower processors. REW doesnít take any processing power. The laptop I was using before the one I have now probably dates back to the early2000s and only had a 1.2 MHz processor and 500 MB RAM, and REW ran just fine.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #10 of 11 Old 03-28-15, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mike

Like I said that was all that I could come up with. No one in store could provide other than doing a search and coming up with a forum or something about the beats audio that the pc came with.
It had something to do with an equalizer that had adjustments at 31hz.

Really the bottom line for me is if any old laptop would work with the sound card that it comes with then that is good enough for me.

The only other time besides REW, that it would be needed would be if my desktop crashes. Just a backup.

Other than that if just for another device I would probably get an ipad.

Thanks Mike

Mike