CSL-Calibrated EMM-6 Microphone Sale - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 212 Old 09-22-09, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Re: CSL-Calibrated EMM-6 Microphone Sale

Quote:
AudioIronHorse wrote: View Post
I ordered a calibrated mic. Do I need a microphone preamp to power it in order to use REW? Any suggestions to which one if it is needed?
Thanks!
D
You'll need something to provide phantom power for the microphone. I'll let others give pre-amp/soundcard recommendations, but I'm partial to the Presonus firewire line of sound cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 212 Old 09-22-09, 07:09 AM
Banned!
andy summers

Re: CSL-Calibrated EMM-6 microphone sale

Quote:
wado1942 wrote: View Post
I'd be willing to bet they're the same microphone as the Behringers made in the same factory by the same people, just sorted & labeled differently.

I was VERY unhappy with the Behringers. They would probably be OK just for measurement purposes, but Behringer way too noisy for anything else. They publish 3 different sets of specs for the same microphones and I don't know which ones to believe. Though the specs INSIDE the box seem to be close.

Strangely, almost all pencil omnis use the exact same Panasonic capsules including some of the Earthworks mics. The main difference is #1, how the capsules are preselected/sorted and #2, the internal electronics. After my dissapointment with the Behringers, I returned them and got a set of Avenson STO-2s which come as a matched pair in a nice little wood case. They're cleaner and quieter which is great for me since I do recording work.
Well yes I have to agree it’s a name change of short. Tell me, this isn’t the same microphone as my ECM8000.

Even the microphone supplied with JBL LSR series looks the same

Although there is some slight cosmetic difference with the JBL calibration microphone!

Even dbx have their own calibration microphone. hold on I’ll get the spray paint out and spray mine black!

The parts that make up the microphone itself are cheap right? I think there no more than 5.00 pounds! Might as well buy the parts and stick them on penile with blutac.

Microphone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

Last edited by Andysu; 09-22-09 at 07:21 AM.
post #43 of 212 Old 09-22-09, 03:16 PM
Shackster
Dennis H

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
You'll need something to provide phantom power for the microphone. I'll let others give pre-amp/soundcard recommendations, but I'm partial to the Presonus firewire line of sound cards.
Hi Herb,

Do the Presonus cards work with ARTA?

post #44 of 212 Old 09-22-09, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Dennis H wrote: View Post
Hi Herb,

Do the Presonus cards work with ARTA?
Yup. And I can say that definitely since I use a Presonus Firebox with ARTA.
post #45 of 212 Old 09-22-09, 05:29 PM
Shackster
Rod

[quote=nwboater;191427]
Quote:
If loudspeaker measurements are your primary use (as opposed to room acoustics), you should be okay with the basic model.

Guess I didn't ask the ? properly. I'm not really interested in measuring just the speakers. My goal is to work on room acoustics, but full range, not just for the future subwoofer. Only mentioned the Khorns because I believe their dispersion (being corner horns) may be different than the typical direct radiator speakers.

Thanks for your good support with this.

Rod

Sorry for quoting myself here, but perhaps Anechoic missed this. I would like to order a mic, and know the sale ends soon. Which one should I order considering the above?

Thanks very much,
Rod
post #46 of 212 Old 09-22-09, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

[quote=nwboater;191832]
Quote:
nwboater wrote: View Post

Sorry for quoting myself here, but perhaps Anechoic missed this. I would like to order a mic, and know the sale ends soon. Which one should I order considering the above?

Thanks very much,
Rod
Sorry about that. My guess is that you would be okay with the Basic+ model.
post #47 of 212 Old 09-23-09, 09:36 AM
Shackster
Rod

Quote:

Sorry about that. My guess is that you would be okay with the Basic+ model.
Thanks for the follow thru - I ordered the Basic + last nite.

Rod
post #48 of 212 Old 09-25-09, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Well boys and girls, the sale is over.

This is what I'm left to deal with:

(this is shipment #1 of 6)

So I'm going to be pretty busy in the lab trying to process all these mics. First batch went out already and the next batch should go out later today.

I'll try to pop back in later with some observations by my initial impression is that the ECM8000 is a batter mic below 20 Hz and the EMM-6 is a better mic above 20 Hz.

The good news for those that missed the sale is that when I'm done filling all the orders I should have some extras that I'll sell for the discounted rate. I'm not going to offer the $5 off for HTS members, but I will post here first to give HTS members a shot at it. Those extras probably won't go on sale until the 2nd week of October, but since I'll already have them, they should ship quickly.

Thanks a lot guys for giving me my own little stimulus program.
post #49 of 212 Old 09-25-09, 02:34 AM
Todd

Newbie here. I have the Radio Shack 33-2050 meter for measurement. I understand it is very low resolution compared to this EMM-6. Now if I was to buy this, can I also use this for other uses (like a regular vocal microphone for karaoke)? It's not a lot of money, but if I just to cal my sub I think the RS meter is fine, right? Thanks!
post #50 of 212 Old 09-25-09, 03:43 AM
Shackster
melberi

Hi Anechoic,

I ordered the Premium service the day this deal came out and I have a question about the sensitivity measurement. Is the sensitivity figure an open-loop voltage (load impedance >> source impedance) or a voltage delivered to a preamp input impedance which may be low enough to make a difference?

EMM-6 source impedance is quoted as 200 ohms. My microphone preamp (EMU 0404 USB) has an input impedance of 1500 ohms. The voltage at the preamp would then be 1500/1700 = 0.882... times the open-loop voltage or approximately -1 dB.