My Behringer UB802 mixer won't power on - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 33 Old 10-13-09, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

My Behringer UB802 mixer won't power on

Drat. I've had this for 5 years but have only just started using it last week. All of a sudden it won't power on. I looked in the manual and on Behringer's website where there is passing reference to replacing fuses with the same value fuse. But I can't find a fuse anywhere on this thing.

Any ideas? I know several people here use these, or the newer Xenyx 802.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-13-09, 11:49 PM
Shackster
azuaro

Re: My Behrenger UB802 mixer won't power on

Hello,

Start by checking voltage on your power supply before anything else....If there is power, then check the power switch. If both are OK, then follow the power (+) on the circuit board after the power switch and if there is a fuse you should be able to find it.

Most times than not the power supply is the part that fails but you may have another issue...Please let me know how you did...

Best regards,

AZUARO
Flathead lake, MT
post #3 of 33 Old 10-16-09, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

Thanks. It is the power supply that's gone bad. Pity. I am waiting to see if Behringer will do anything for me (I really think they should - this unit has less than 20 hours on it!) Otherwise, I can order a replacement from dbmproaudio.com for $15 +ship.

post #4 of 33 Old 10-16-09, 10:57 PM
Shackster
azuaro

I agree...It is really aggravating when a piece of equipment fails this soon...

The MXUL5 Power supply that you have is a 110-120 VAC to 17.5 VDC with I believe 650 mA ...Most of these new power supplies are made in China and a generic adaptor will also work fine...Don't be limited to getting the original part as they are usually much more expensive...Don't spend much more than about $15-20 dollars because you can get a new UB802 for well under $40.00.

As an example, go to hosfelt com on the internet and select APTERS 14-18 VDC. There is a filtered power supply with 17 VDC and 1.5 amps that will work in your Behrenger for $7.95 plus shipping and there is another one that will provide 18 VDC and 1 Amp for $4.95 plus shipping (Better choice)... The one that provides exactly 17.5 VDC it way more expensive...

Get on the internet and Goggle AC-DC Power supplies and look for a filtered power supply (For less noise) with 17-18 VDC output from 110-120 VAC and with at least 650 mA...More mA will be OK so don't try to get exactly 650 mA.

If the connector for the adaptor you get doesn't match the input of your UB802, you can always cut the cable on the bad power supply and attach it to the new one.

Good luck and best regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
post #5 of 33 Old 10-16-09, 11:26 PM
Shackster
azuaro

I forgot to ask you to test the cables on your Power Supply...Many times the problem is that the cables are cut inside the jacket...

This is an old trick for not having to cut the cables for testing and you need to do it carefully...Get a couple of pins across the cable jackets on the + and - sides just at the exit of the PS block, make sure that the pins don't touch (short) and then connect the PS to the AC outlet and with a voltmeter measure for DC power at the pins. If there is power, then the problem is somewhere along the DC output cables...

If you get DC power at this point, then check (same process) just before the connector that plugs into your UB802...If you get DC power but you are not getting power at the connector, then then the problem is the connector.

If you don't get DC power out of the PS block, then measure for AC current just before the cables merge with the body of the Power Supply...WATCH OUT because here you are dealing with AC current and my advice will be to get the pins across the jacket and into a scrap piece of wood (like nailing it to the wood) so the pins don't move and it is better if you do both sides about 3-4 inches apart so there is no risk of touching and shorting....Make sure that you don't touch the pins either and of course, use common sense and do this at your own risk.

I have seen many power supplies that failed because the AC plug is defective, because the AC cables before the DC transformer are damaged and because the DC cables after the PS body or the outlet plug are damaged...Test each and every point and component and replace as necessary, many times you can repair these PS units for no cost at all.

Best regards,

AZUARO
post #6 of 33 Old 10-16-09, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

This mixer uses the MXUL3 power supply that converts 110V AC power to 17.5V AC at 250mA. That's not a typo - the UB802 runs off 17V AC power. Quite a strange setup.

Interesting idea about testing the cables. So you literally mean to use pins, like sewing pins to penetrate the cable near the exit of the brick and then use those to test for continuity and/or AC voltage?
post #7 of 33 Old 10-17-09, 12:40 AM
Shackster
azuaro

I am always kind of reluctant to suggesting Old Yankee Ingenuity or engineering because nowadays there are many more options and younger generations are spoiled and not used to repairing anything...We live in a use and discard world, at least here in the US but the rest of the world is still different...

There are voltmeters and equipment that can measure current, voltage, etc. thru the jacket but most of the people out there have plain not so expensive multi-meters that need to be touching the bare metal of the cable without a jacket for giving a reading...

When I was a student at MIT back in the late 60's, we used fine sewing needles for what I am suggesting, this was as common as using your voltmeter...A fine needle will make contact with the metal strands of the cables thru the jacket without cutting or disturbing them, and as soon as you remove the needle the jacket pretty much seals back leaving your PS as it came from the factory...If your needle was thick, well, then use a drop of nail polish on the little hole around the jacket for sealing it back...

Push the fine needle thru the jacket at the center of the cable, this will extend the contact surface of the metal strands of the cable to the outside the jacket so your voltmeter can function....Do this wherever you want to test for voltage (either AC or DC) or for continuity...Take very special care when measuring AC current.

If your PS is 17 VDC and 250mA, then the one that costs $4.95 at hosfelt.com (see my post above) will do a perfect job in case your PS is unrepairable.

Best regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT

Last edited by azuaro; 10-17-09 at 12:51 AM.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-17-09, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

Nice ideas. I just tried this and the cable looked OK. So I decided to go ahead and take the transformer out of its plastic box and measure directly there. Bad news, there is no voltage across any pair of the three tabs coming off the output coil.

Thanks very much for your advice!
post #9 of 33 Old 10-17-09, 12:56 AM
Shackster
azuaro

Well, at least you found that it is the inside what is wrong and you know how to do it if it ever is necessary...

Go to the website that I mentioned in my previous post(s) or look for another supplier on the internet and buy a generic filtered 17 VDC -250 mA or more (for less noise) Power Supply...

Regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
post #10 of 33 Old 10-17-09, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jarrod

Yeah I was just looking at hosfeld as per your advice. The original PS says this:

output 2 * 17 VAC / 250mA

There is an 18 VAC adapter there (Basler BE114720CAA) that might work if I knew the pinout of this cable. The Behringer tech support person I talked to this morning did not have the pinout....all I know is that two of the three pins have +17 VAC and the third pin is common ground.

I can't use an AC-DC adapter in place of the original AC-AC adapter can I? Or are you just saying that other Behringer mixers use DC power?