Galaxy CM-140 Calibration File Info Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 45 Old 03-16-07, 08:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Re: Galaxy CM-140 Calibration File Info Thread

Quote:
Vader wrote: View Post
Ilkka,

So you would recommend that I use the AVR's TT instead of DVE? I had always heard that DVE was the better way to go because it tests the entire signal path (from DVD player --> AVR to Speakers --> SPL meter). What you say makes perfect sense too. What about the other channels? Would it be better to simply calibrate all of them to keep consistancy, or use DVE for everything except the LFE channel? I know, I need to get AVIA.... just haven't gotten around to it yet.
The signal path doesn't really matter at all in this case. I would use the AVR's test tones instead of DVE for all channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 03-16-07, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Ilkka, you can still have quite a variance in response from 40Hz to 80Hz, so how do you account for it? I realize the CM-140 is pretty accurate in that range, other than maybe reading a db or so low on C-Weighting, which on an SPL meter 1db is pretty hard to adjust for, but on those who still have RS meters, that could be anywhere from 1db to 4db, with the C-Weighting reading low... 2db to 5db from 80-40Hz respectively.
post #23 of 45 Old 03-16-07, 09:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Derek

My System

Thanx, Ilkka!

Up to now, I have been using the auto-cal for the Denon (AVR-2105) to get a rough starting point, then fine-tuning with DVE. I will re-fine-tune using the manual speaker trim in the Denon (much easier, too!). Oh, well.... at least there are those fantastic intro videos on DVE......

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- Not liable for injuries sustained while laughing.

post #24 of 45 Old 03-16-07, 09:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Ilkka, you can still have quite a variance in response from 40Hz to 80Hz, so how do you account for it? I realize the CM-140 is pretty accurate in that range, other than maybe reading a db or so low on C-Weighting, which on an SPL meter 1db is pretty hard to adjust for, but on those who still have RS meters, that could be anywhere from 1db to 4db, with the C-Weighting reading low... 2db to 5db from 80-40Hz respectively.
Varying frequency response is a bad thing when trying to adjust your subwoofer level with any kind of noise (band limited or not). The SPL meter measures the total energy, it can not tell if the frequency response is flat or not (unless we plug it into our computer). Depending on how flat frequency response you have, the noise method can give you good or really bad results. A major peak or wide null in 40-80 Hz range can throw off the readings big time. That's why I will always recommend taking an accurate frequency response measurement instead.
post #25 of 45 Old 03-16-07, 11:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Vader wrote:
I had always heard that DVE was the better way to go because it tests the entire signal path (from DVD player --> AVR to Speakers --> SPL meter).
I agree in that I trust using the exact signal path my music and movies will follow for the final calibration. I use my receiver's built in tones as a starting point and then finish up with Avia's tones. I usually find a 1db variance on my right front channel and a couple db difference for the surrounds. I believe Avia has you set the surrounds a little hot

post #26 of 45 Old 03-16-07, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
Varying frequency response is a bad thing when trying to adjust your subwoofer level with any kind of noise (band limited or not). The SPL meter measures the total energy, it can not tell if the frequency response is flat or not (unless we plug it into our computer). Depending on how flat frequency response you have, the noise method can give you good or really bad results. A major peak or wide null in 40-80 Hz range can throw off the readings big time. That's why I will always recommend taking an accurate frequency response measurement instead.
That's exactly what I was thinking and somewhat stated, but in a different way of course.
post #27 of 45 Old 03-23-07, 10:38 PM
Shackster
Pete

Hi Sonnie:

Did you get your mic back, yet? I am curious to see how the CM-140 performs (accuracy and precision between meters) since I don't have a clue what my RS correction factors should be...I have the 33-4050 with a 04A04 code, which puts me squarely in limbo.

Thanks,
Pete
post #28 of 45 Old 03-24-07, 08:26 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
accuracy and precision between meters
Precision between meters has already been established. They're all tested identical....

brucek
post #29 of 45 Old 03-24-07, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I will call the lab on Monday and see where they stand on getting it calibrated. It's getting close to the time that should have called me for payment anyway.
post #30 of 45 Old 03-24-07, 07:41 PM
Shackster
Pete

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
Precision between meters has already been established. They're all tested identical....
That is great news.

Thanks for the update Sonnie.