REW Sound Card Database - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 118 Old 03-23-12, 08:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: REW Sound Card Database

The Focusrite is pretty lol...its got good specs too.

I've always used EMU interfaces cuz the have dope converters for the price and I've gotten really used to Patchmix. I did have an 0404 USB for like a week but didn't like it it all (for one reason, I dont think it had Patchmix).

U might wanna consider the M-Audio interfaces too.

Quote:
AudioSavant wrote: View Post
Is anyone using a small DAW, like a 2x2 or 2x4...
And just to correct ur language, replace "DAW" with "interface"

C6 - W7 x64 - Custom AMD Phenom II x2 560 Black 3.3Ghz - 8gb DDR2 - EMU 1212M - UAD1 - GAP Pre 73 - HS80m's - Presonus HP4 - Yamaha KX49 - NI/IK Bundles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 118 Old 03-23-12, 11:51 PM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

With few exceptions, just about all the pre-amps less than about $450 are in the same ballpark.
And then there is another price/performance break at about $800.

Here is a list with comments regarding some of the more common pre-amps.

Signal to noise, phase and frequency response linearity, latency...all are much more critical than sample rate.
post #13 of 118 Old 03-24-12, 08:57 AM
Shackster

Smile Re: REW Sound Card Database

Of course S/N, THD, linearity, weighting basis, are more important than whether you are recording at 44.1 (PCM), or 88.2, but a whole other subject, not directly related to my original comments & questions is the power supply of the respected device. VERY few, and I mean VERY FEW USB based devices detailed herein, take any consideration of the dual usagae of the USB carrier, whereas the small current has an effect on the recorded tone. In fact, one of the ONLY playback devices that I know of that takes this into consideration in product design, is the BRYSTON BDP-1. If you look at the NAIM D/AC, they don't include USB at all, for fear of contamination from the small current flow. Anyway, I digress, as this was a discussion about measurement microphones and the accompanying options of sound cards or 'Digital Audio Workstations /DAW' (yes some are
small format DAW with software), and of course, computer recording interfaces. M-Audio offered interesting devices, but after they were purchased by Digi, I am not sure of the product. I geenerally would trust the oversight and reported specification of Japanese brands like Tascam, and in larger format, Yamaha. DBX by Harman makes very good quality for the money, and I would guess the measurement mic is made in Austria, or at least designed in Austria by AKG. The DAW workstation, with phantom pre, and lots of I/O options also by Harman is the Lexicon piece, but when I last checked it didn't support Win7....maybe it does, but I don't know. Anyway, the bottom line is NOT paper spec always, it is a starting point. I am not confident in the starting point with the Behringer, so everything after is moot. So I am back to Dayton, DBX, Audix, and maybe even a capsule from ACO. Anyone ?
Thank you!

post #14 of 118 Old 03-24-12, 09:08 AM
Shackster

Excellent ! Just looked at list..now THESE are the brands & models I know. Are you with Easra? Thank you very much. The lamda & Omega have always intrigued me, for what they are, how much software is included, and how relatively inexpensive they are. Now brands like Samson are entering this field, after brands like preSonus broke new ground. I guess between $150-$300 MSRP for one of these interfaces, you need to look at THD, S/N, deviations, etc., which all might be very similar, but more importantly for the user, ease of use. Size of the unit, type of I/O, as if you need XLR & the device is 1/4" TRS, then adding adapters can & will affect results, including adding to costs. In the end, what fits 'your' needs.
Thanks again.
post #15 of 118 Old 03-24-12, 02:21 PM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

...dbl post

Last edited by SAC; 03-24-12 at 02:44 PM.
post #16 of 118 Old 03-24-12, 02:41 PM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

First, there is a different orientation between measurement products and 'audio recording' products.
And I would not let your familiarity with the MI products color your opinion of products intended for use in measurement and analysis purposes. And talk of DAW has no place in this discussion. While i appreciate one's desire for 'quality', I must admit to disagreeing with the decision making criterion.

Ultimately you buy what is necessary to do the job. Simply having a Ferrari to go to the grocery store is not necessarily a prudent matching of tool to task.

And no, you essentially don't use ANY of the included software unless it is specifically required for control of the unit, so that aspect is moot. You use the measurement software, not the editing and FX capabilities of included MI software.

Many of the high end platforms regrettably use a proprietary front end. Easera does not. No, I am not with Easera, but my primary platforms have been TEF and EASERA & SysTune over the past 25 years. For Easera, some of the more commonly used pre-amps have been the Easera Gateway made by PreSonus which includes an integrated loopback eliminating the need for an external loopback and exhibits timing characteristics allowing it to be used in conjunction with TDS; the PreSonus Firestudio Project for use as a multi-input (8-16+ channel) device, the Duran Audio DAxys pre-amp featuring exceptional S/N, phase linearity and a ruggedized design (eg I/O jacks mounted to a metal case instead of to a motherboard), integrated loopback, and software based controls. Meanwhile movement is being made towards Ethernet based connectivity rather than USB or Firewire.

Also, there are a plethora of quality (and pricey!) lab grade measurement mics available. (And since the question of orientation comes up repeatedly with many very curious interpretations, they are listed for the following sample mics as well...) This is NOT intended to serve as any kind of exclusive reference or endorsement, although all are good mics. They are simply examples... Not listed are many from such firms as Audix, etc...

The optimal orientation of the microphone relative to the source is model specific. One will want to verify this with the owner’s manual for the microphone in question.
The orientation of a few common measurement microphones are listed below.

SoundFirst SF101 - 0 degrees (pointed at source)
DPA4007 - 45 degrees
DPA4090 - 0 degrees
TEF05 - 0 deg
TEF04 - 45 deg
AudioToolbox - 90 deg (perpendicular)
Earthworks M30 - 90 deg
Earthworks M30BX - 90 deg

And I would avoid the tendency to buy on the basis of 'name recognition' - as many of the best measurement mics are made by companies whose names one has no other reason to be familiar.

As you pay more for a mic you get: flatter response, extended range, and lower self-noise and better consistency from mic to mic.
The question is: how flat do you need it? What frequency range do you need? Do you require multiple matched mics? What degree of mic-to-mic consistency?

Last edited by SAC; 03-24-12 at 02:50 PM.
post #17 of 118 Old 03-24-12, 04:45 PM
Shackster

Smile Re: REW Sound Card Database

No, please excuse me , as you are correct, and I never meant to imply that the software with MI product was needed, or even usefull for acoustics testing. We should know, that it is not! I was simply inferring that in the MI world (as you pointed out), you can purchase an I/O box, that has 1,2, or more mic-pre's some with up to 48V Phantom b/i, for less money than a computer specific sound card. If anyone ever has a need to do any live or pass-through recording, along with field testing, at the lower price points some of these boxes are quite nice. Don't know if this go-round with Focusrite is as good as it once was, but these price points are pretty shocking. I was never leaning in any way shape, or form towards a CLASS 1 B&K, Eathworks, or otherwise unnecesarry expense. And you are 100% correct, in that the wrong tool in the wrong hands, or for that matter, the best tool in the wrong hands has no meaning. That is why the same tooling in production can turn out a $10 item, or a $1000 item. it all depends on the operator, just like using a Martin guitar or a Selmer Alto by a 4th. grade 1st., semester music person. Anyway, regarding your comment about USB, again you are correct! Firewire is a very good , but Apple, which owns 1394, has almost given up this interface. USB 3.0, while rolling out in new PC's seems not to have a follow-up act with third party vendors. From the giants of the MI world, to the masters of the studio market, on through to the newer audiophile market that is moving towards HD music (and video), Ethernet IS THE ONLY way right now to future proof product. Look at the StreamNet patented protocol, which transmits 44.1 & 88.2, uncompressed, in multiple streams over one cat-5e cable...and will control all functionality. Anyway, back to sound cards & mics; All of your points at the end of your post, are well taken and helpful, but as we aren't, I don't think talking about doing FOH mic check, multiple mics aren't really germain to this subject. Then again, I guess you could be learning how to setup a large venue here. And we aren't talking about plugins or things like ProTools, I don't think, so we are back to small room acoustics, and we have to focus on frequencies below 2K, or at least that is where I know most of the issues in small rooms lie. So back to square one; Do we use a card frame sound card (desktop) or for most here, an external sound card with pig-tails, or something of this sort, or use as an option an MI I/O device ? It is interesting as the cards detailed within are of higher quality, with valuable microphone information about placement of the associated units, but in other posts here, it seems the direction is 180 degrees opposite, with a mic like a Behringer 8000, with ZERO accompaning paperwork or usefull info. Anyway, thank you very much for all of your information. My next step maybe an Audix TR1, but still unsure of the pre.
post #18 of 118 Old 06-09-12, 11:03 PM

First time poster. I just got REW up and running so I thought I'd post my kit.

Mic: Behringer ECM8000 Cross spectrum calibrated
Soundcard: Behringer UCA202
mic pre/phantom power: Behringer XENYX 502 mixer
Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Java 1.7 (upgraded from 1.5)
REW Version: 5 build 2412
Notes: Originally had a problem getting the loop-back to work. After googling I found 2 recommendations; 1 to upgrade the version of Java, and the second to run 'Levels' from the main menu before attempting the loop-back.

I upgraded Java and it worked as expected
post #19 of 118 Old 06-24-12, 09:29 AM
Shackster
Mushroom

My System

In the REW cable and connections guide the setup for the spl meter shows a need for an external sound card with both line out -and- line in jacks..which sound cards would fit this requirment? been doing a lot of research and i wanna make sure i dont end up getting the wrong thing

Thanks

p.s. this will be for subwoofer calibration only, i have a rs digital spl meter already and a bfd on the way.

edit** just looked into the above posted behringer uca202, connecting that to my laptop pc via usb should be all that is necessary, right?

Last edited by BandidoAzul; 06-24-12 at 09:39 AM.
post #20 of 118 Old 06-24-12, 04:30 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
BandidoAzul wrote: View Post
edit** just looked into the above posted behringer uca202, connecting that to my laptop pc via usb should be all that is necessary, right?
Right.