REW Sound Card Database - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 119 Old 09-06-13, 05:43 AM
Shackster

Re: REW Sound Card Database

Quote:
somm wrote: View Post
Hello cicastol, I am not able to get my Scarlett 6i6 to work. The soundcard calibration shows ugly values and then there is an warning/error in REW.

What I am doing wrong? I connect an TSR cable to Mon1 and the XLR end to Mic1, use ASIO in REW and selectes the right INPUT/OUTPUT in REW.

Are my scarlett mixer settings wrong? Could you please post a screenshot of your settings ?

somm
Sorry for asking again -> But has someone else tried a Focusrite Scarlett with REW ?

I am not even able to calibrate the soundcard ...

somm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 119 Old 09-17-13, 07:20 AM
Shackster
bomholt

Quote:
omholt wrote: View Post
Has anyone tried Steinberg interfaces with REW?
I'm considering buying Steinberg UR22 USB interface, but saw someone mention at amazom that the Asio driver didn't work with ARTA.
I want to warn against the Steinberg UR22 soundcard. The ASIO driver works, but noise and hum is a problem with it. Going from jack to RCA obviously isn't ideal (any way at all to avoid noise with that connection?). The UR22 gives me however much more noise and hum problems that I had with my old EMU 0404 USB. It's difficult to measure with high levels. I'm going to get rid of mine and get a new one.

I don't know if this is general problem with USB bus powered soundcards. Does anyone know? My EMU 0404 USB got it's power from the wall.
post #53 of 119 Old 09-17-13, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
omholt wrote: View Post
I don't know if this is general problem with USB bus powered soundcards. Does anyone know? My EMU 0404 USB got it's power from the wall.
There is certainly no problem in general with USB powered soundcards. I personally use an M-Audio "MobilePre USB" (note this is an older MobilePre) that is USB powered and it is dead quiet. Many here use the Tascam US-122/144 interfaces that are also USB powered.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had a gain-matching problem causing your noise--depending how you were using the interface and your connections etc. The US-144 has RCA-jack outputs, which are inherently unbalanced and probably at consumer line level. The older MobilePre USB has line outputs that are 1/4" TR and specifically shown on the datasheet as unbalanced at -10dBV, the consumer level. Outputs on the EMU say they are balanced... but it also says it has consumer/pro level auto-detect and lists a balanced and an unbalanced output impedance.

I could see why some of this might be awfully confusing for someone new to this.

Last edited by aackthpt; 09-17-13 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add a short empathic statement

post #54 of 119 Old 09-18-13, 06:23 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
somm wrote: View Post
Sorry for asking again -> But has someone else tried a Focusrite Scarlett with REW ?

I am not even able to calibrate the soundcard ...

somm
I used/reviewed the Scarlett 2i2 with REW on both Win and Mac and recommend it... I gather from past posts you are using the 6i6? If you are on Mac, please see the input workaround on OSX thread.
post #55 of 119 Old 09-18-13, 10:58 AM
Shackster

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
I used/reviewed the Scarlett 2i2 with REW on both Win and Mac and recommend it... I gather from past posts you are using the 6i6? If you are on Mac, please see the input workaround on OSX thread.
No, I am using windows but got it to work. I had set the input in the mixer wrong ...
post #56 of 119 Old 01-05-14, 06:05 PM
Shackster

Hi Every one,
Just wanted to check this thread to see if anyone has some ideas to help me. I own a Auzentech Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 sound card and a condenser calibration mic that requires phantom power. On another thread someone suggested using either a Behringer Xenyx 802 or a Samson MDR624 to hook the mic to the sound card. Does this sound like the best way to go or should I bypass the X-Meridian with USB choices? I want to keep the cost down if possible yet get a reliable read for REW.
Thanks

Last edited by twodutys; 01-05-14 at 06:10 PM.
post #57 of 119 Old 01-07-14, 04:21 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
twodutys wrote: View Post
I own a Auzentech Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 sound card and a condenser calibration mic that requires phantom power. On another thread someone suggested using either a Behringer Xenyx 802 or a Samson MDR624 to hook the mic to the sound card. Does this sound like the best way to go or should I bypass the X-Meridian with USB choices? I want to keep the cost down if possible yet get a reliable read for REW.
The Xenyx 802 is a fairly cheap way to get phantom power and a mic preamp, should do the trick, not sure there are any USB soundcards with phantom power and mic preamp that are cheaper.
post #58 of 119 Old 01-07-14, 08:46 PM
Shackster

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
The Xenyx 802 is a fairly cheap way to get phantom power and a mic preamp, should do the trick, not sure there are any USB soundcards with phantom power and mic preamp that are cheaper.
Thank You JohnM I will look into it.
post #59 of 119 Old 01-07-14, 09:00 PM
Shackster

JohnM I just noticed you wrote REW. And I wanted to personal Thank You for what many considered the best program for helping to deal with room acoustics. And to make it available for free speaks very highly about you.
post #60 of 119 Old 03-03-14, 10:35 AM
Shackster
Tom

My System

About to download REW and take my first measurements.

Windows 7 64-bit on dekstop PC;
ASUS Xonar Essence ST PCI-e soundcard
Choice: between Radio Shack SPL Meter, or
V-Tech VT-1009 uni-directional mic and
Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic100 mic preamp.

I'm thinking to start with the SPL meter, and hoping all the files for it are still available.