REW Sound Card Database - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 118 Old 03-03-14, 11:28 AM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Re: REW Sound Card Database

Works with the UMM-6 and the Asus Essence ST (JAVA). I'm going to test with the Phonic Firefly 808u (ASIO) next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 118 Old 03-12-14, 06:06 PM
Shackster
Tom

My System

Quote:
tjswarbrick wrote: View Post
About to download REW and take my first measurements.

Windows 7 64-bit on dekstop PC;
ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI-e soundcard
Choice: between Radio Shack SPL Meter, or
V-Tech VT-1009 uni-directional mic and
Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic100 mic preamp.

I'm thinking to start with the SPL meter, and hoping all the files for it are still available.
Calibrated the soundcard with the Mic100 in the loop, and got lots of loopback. Took out the pre, and the card was a piece of cake. But when I tried to take actual measurements with the SPL meter, I couldn't turn the input up high enough for it to register. Put the pre back in, adjusted sensitivity and gain, and the measurement worked without a hitch. Came out flat, too.
Anybody know what I need to do to use the Xonar Essence STX without a preamp? In Default there was not nearly enough signal; set as "Speaker - ASUS PCI" and "Line In - ASUS PCI" it would register the signal, but I couldn't get it near the "-12dB" level to match the output without adding the pre. Best I saw card-only was about -60dB.
post #63 of 118 Old 04-11-14, 09:13 AM
Shackster

Hello guys!

First time here... Just getting into REW, I was able to get it going using my RS Digital SPL... I have already eyed a Dayton EMM-6.. looking for sound device that I can use as output/input, phantom power, loopback for calibration, etc.... So far I like the Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and USB/Audio Interface on Amazon. I can't post the link yet, but you can find it quickly on Amazon. Have any of you tried it? It seems perfect as far as I know, but haven't seen any reports that it works for REW.

Thanks in advance

post #64 of 118 Old 04-11-14, 10:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Read this ; ( click the pic )

The UMIK-1 is considered the best solution for those on a budget ( assuming you're not on a Mac running Mavericks ) .

Last edited by EarlK; 04-11-14 at 01:12 PM.
post #65 of 118 Old 04-11-14, 03:58 PM
Shackster

Thanks EarlK,

Is there any advantage of using this mic over using the beringer 302 with the dayton mic? (Assuming the Beringer 302 can be used with REW).
post #66 of 118 Old 04-11-14, 06:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The Behringer 302 won’t work with REW because it is not a full duplex sound card. You’ll have to move up to the 502.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #67 of 118 Old 04-12-14, 07:39 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
The Behringer 302 won’t work with REW because it is not a full duplex sound card. You’ll have to move up to the 502. Regards, Wayne
Thank you Wayne!
post #68 of 118 Old 04-12-14, 08:55 AM
Elite Shackster

eliwankenobi,

If you decide to buy any of these ( Behringer USB connectable ) mixers, make sure you have mapped out , "a no fuss, no muss" return policy with the retailer, should the mixer not work out .

From what I can glean ( from reading the Op. manuals ) when used in full duplex mode, they all ( Xenyx models ) have a built-in "feed-back loop", rendering them ( if I'm correct ) useless for REW measurement .

Conceivably, one could operate these mixer types as a one-way device, used only on the input ( to break the feedback loop ) & then use the computers built-in soundcard for output .

Last edited by EarlK; 04-13-14 at 07:22 AM.
post #69 of 118 Old 04-13-14, 03:44 PM
Shackster

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
eliwankenobi, If you decide to buy any of these ( Behringer USB connectable ) mixers, make sure you have mapped out , "a no fuss, no muss" return policy with the retailer, should the mixer not work out . From what I can glean ( from reading the Op. manuals ) when used in full duplex mode, they all ( Xenyx models ) have a built-in "feed-back loop", rendering them ( if I'm correct ) useless for REW measurement . Conceivably, one could operate these mixer types as a one-way device, used only on the input ( to break the feedback loop ) & then use the computers built-in soundcard for output .
Thanks EarlK

I kept checking and have not found anyone who have used it successfully, so I will probably go with the ART USB Pre. The Beringer I could find for cheap on Amazon, which is why I was asking for that one since I have a bunch gift cards that I've not used and could get a nice mic and usb pre for Free.

No reason to get the usb mike UMM-6 over the ART/EMM-6 combo right?
post #70 of 118 Old 04-23-14, 06:59 AM
Shackster

Has anyone successfully used the EMU 0204 with REW?
I'm looking for a sound-card with, ideally, better specs than the Tascam and other units typically used, as I'd like to use it for other types of measurements as well (amp/DAC testing etc.).
The above-mentioned EMU unit seems to meet those requirements without breaking the bank - if you are willing to take the risk with the sub-par EMU driver support, I suppose.