REW Sound Card Database - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 118 Old 04-23-14, 08:25 AM
Shackster
Stephen

Re: REW Sound Card Database

Hello All . . .

I am using a STA Audio Media 7.1 sound card . . . I was able to successfully calibrate it . I also used the UMIK-1 mic along with a analog RS SPL meter . The company that made the STA Audio went out of business some time ago , and hence , driver support is nill . I am fortunate in that I have had no problems using the driver that was released by the New Company that bought STA ( Hoontech ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 118 Old 04-24-14, 08:06 PM
Shackster

Hello All,

just wanted to give a quick update... I read and read that the UMIK-1 was more than enough and recommended for home theater, I checked, and due to shipping costs to Puerto Rico, it turns out that getting it from Cross-Spectrum is actually the same total price as getting it straight from miniDSP...so there you go...Cross-Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1.. I wait for you!!
post #73 of 118 Old 07-03-14, 05:06 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
Read this ; ( click the pic )

The UMIK-1 is considered the best solution for those on a budget ( assuming you're not on a Mac running Mavericks ) .

Any suggestions for those of us who are running a Mac with Mavericks? I have an RS analogue SPL meter and I have an Antimode 8033 mic on the way with its MicAmp (needed a longer mic cable than the one the 8033 came with and shipping was the same if I added the MicAmp, plus the 8033 mic has a calibration file ready to download from DSPeakers). I guess the ideal would be a sound card with which REW is already equipped to run?

post #74 of 118 Old 07-04-14, 06:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Ovation123 wrote: View Post
Any suggestions for those of us who are running a Mac with Mavericks? I have an RS analogue SPL meter and I have an Antimode 8033 mic on the way with its MicAmp (needed a longer mic cable than the one the 8033 came with and shipping was the same if I added the MicAmp, plus the 8033 mic has a calibration file ready to download from DSPeakers). I guess the ideal would be a sound card with which REW is already equipped to run?
The UMIK-1 mic from miniDSP is still the most economical solution ( whether one is using a Mac or Windows OS ) .

The REW problem ( JavaMac incompatibility with Mavericks ) looks to have been fixed with JohnM's latest ( Beta 21 release ) .

Beta Download Thread

post #75 of 118 Old 07-04-14, 07:27 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
The UMIK-1 mic from miniDSP is still the most economical solution ( whether one is using a Mac or Windows OS ) .

The REW problem ( JavaMac incompatibility with Mavericks ) looks to have been fixed with JohnM's latest ( Beta 21 release ) .

Beta Download Thread

I considered that but as I needed the extra 8033 mic anyway, the accompanying mic amp was about the same price as the umik. Unfortunately, I placed my order (already shipped) before I discovered my sound card doesn't want to play nice with REW. Otherwise, I'd have ordered--based on your post here--a umik. Having gone through this thread, I decided to get a Berhinger UCA222 (202 equivalent but with digital output--newer model) so I can connect the 8033 mic to REW. if this doesn't work, I'll get a umik and chalk it up to the cost of experimenting. But thanks for the info.
post #76 of 118 Old 10-24-14, 11:16 AM

Re: REW Sound Card Database - Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro

REW Sound Card Compatibility

Would I be able to use the below external USB sound card and a UMIK-1 with REW 5.01?

Thanks!

RE: Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro (USB) External Soundcard

•Audio Processor

X-Fi

•SBX Pro Studio

Yes

•Max. Playback Quality

USB 2.0:
Stereo / Surround: 24-bit / 96kHz
USB 1.1:
Stereo: 24-bit / 96kHz
Surround: 16-bit / 48kHz

•Max. Recording Quality

24-bit / 96kHz

•Output

5.1 Channels

•Key Features

•Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)

100dB

•Upmixing of Stereo to Multi-channels

Yes

•Connectivity Options (Main)

Headphone Out:
1 x 3.5mm jack
Line Out:
2 x RCA jacks (L/R)
1 x 3.5mm jack (Rear)
1 x 3.5mm jack (C/Sub)
Line In:
1 x 3.5mm jack
Microphone In:
1 x 3.5mm jack
Optical Out:
1 x TOSLINK

•EAX

EAX Advanced 5.0

•Dolby Digital Live Encoding

Yes

•Audio Fidelity

Up to 24-bit / 96kHz

•Software & Compatibility

•Supported Operating Systems

Windows® 8
Windows® 7
Windows Vista® SP1 or higher
Windows® XP SP2 or higher

•Compatible Platform

USB 1.1
USB 2.0
post #77 of 118 Old 11-20-14, 01:51 PM
Shackster
niklasmagnus

Budget REW setup

Hi all,

looking for a budget REW setup. Thinking of buying the Dayton EMM-6 mic and some kind of sound card (2 input/ 2 output) to get the timing reference feature. Looked at the Beringer UM2 as a cheap sound card, will it work? If not, may you please help me pick another one from the site thomann.de/se/cat.html?gf=usb_ljudinterface&oa=pra
I live in Sweden and this site offer many alternatives at good pricing.

BR Niklas

Edit 12/11/21
Just found an SB X-Fi 5.1 (SB1090) I had forgotten about. Guess this will work, but still need a pre-micamp for the phantom power. Any suggestions?
Will the X-Fi card work for timing alignment (timing reference feature)?

Last edited by niklasmagnus; 11-21-14 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Just found an SB X-Fi 5.1 (SB1090) I had forgotten about. Guess this will work, but still need a pre-micamp for the phantom p
post #78 of 118 Old 11-23-14, 03:07 AM
Shackster

Scumbag.

My System

I have successfully gotten REW and Holmsresponse to work with this arrangement:

Behringer UMC204 USB interface
calibrated Dayton EMM-6 (was using an un-calibrated Behringer EMC8000 but sold that as it had a lot of low frequency noise).
I have had a lot of success using ASIO drivers. A few tricks to be aware of. I was completely unable to use ASIO 4ALL, the drivers didn't work for me. Just use the latest ASIO Behringer drivers. I can get 96khz sampling rates in REW and the Java drivers in REW will limit this to 48khz sampling rates.
Also, the unit can be a bit temperamental so I use a dedicated laptop and make sure I always plug the USB connector into the same USB port - hard to believe but swapping USB ports can screw things up!
As a note, the frequency response of the Behringer is 1-db at 5hz and 50,000hz (from memory). I did the feedback loop calibration and to be honest I don't even use it whilst testing as it is well beyond the limits of my speakers anyway. I guess if I was testing a subwoofer I would use it.

On another note I have noticed that this unit seems to suffer a lot from latency problems. Even at "safe" settings using ASIO drivers, whilst listening to music, there are small glitches in the audio stream about once every 10 seconds and there is some smearing of the sound. Luckily I can use another USB DAC for the purposes of listening to music but based on my experiences whilst I would recommend it for speaker testing, I would not recommend this unit for listening to music.

Last edited by deepthought; 11-29-14 at 11:57 PM. Reason: It should read 48khz sampling rates with Java drivers, not 24khz.
post #79 of 118 Old 11-29-14, 04:36 PM
Shackster
niklasmagnus

Quote:
deepthought wrote: View Post
I can get 96khz sampling rates in REW and the Java drivers will limit this to 24khz.
What are you saying? that you want even get 48khz sampling rate due to Java limitation? If not, you can only measure up to 12 Khz with a 24Khz sampling rate.
post #80 of 118 Old 11-29-14, 11:52 PM
Shackster

Scumbag.

My System

Niklas,

No, sorry that was a mistake. It should read 48khz sampling rates with Java drivers, not 24khz.