REW Sound Card Database - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 118 Old 11-30-14, 04:18 AM
Shackster
niklasmagnus

Re: REW Sound Card Database

Great

I plan to buy the Behringer UMC22 so the I guess it will work fine because it's just a "smaller" version of the UMC204. UMC22 have 1/4" output and input compared to the UM2 with rca output and 1/4" input, so I don't need to buy extra adapters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 118 Old 01-12-15, 03:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Quote:
somm wrote: View Post
Sorry for asking again -> But has someone else tried a Focusrite Scarlett with REW ?

I am not even able to calibrate the soundcard ...

somm
While I was getting ready to add my setup, I noticed your post. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
I used/reviewed the Scarlett 2i2 with REW on both Win and Mac and recommend it... I gather from past posts you are using the 6i6? If you are on Mac, please see the input workaround on OSX thread.
A very big and gracious THANKS for your review with procedure info. Helped me immensely!!
post #83 of 118 Old 01-12-15, 03:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

My Measurement setup for REW5.01 and Windows 8 running on quad-core i7 laptop with 16GB memory and graphics accelerator:
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 mic preamp / USB audio interface
  • Dayton EMM-6 fully calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs
  • Radio Shack digital SPL ,meter (BTW I heard the analog versions were better)
  • Generic boom microphone stand
  • Mogami & Audioquest cables, splitters/adapters
  • Johnson 40-6174 torpedo laser level
  • Audio Control R-101 RTA and Broadband Pink Noise Generator
  • Various Test CD's including Real Traps 1Hz -increment bass test tones

post #84 of 118 Old 03-05-15, 05:12 AM

My equipment:

Behringer ECM 8000

MOTU Ultralite mk3 Audio interface

Adams A5x monitor speakers
post #85 of 118 Old 04-21-15, 06:07 PM
Shackster
wayne

My System

Quote:
deepthought wrote: View Post
I have successfully gotten REW and Holmsresponse to work with this arrangement:

Behringer UMC204 USB interface
calibrated Dayton EMM-6 (was using an un-calibrated Behringer EMC8000 but sold that as it had a lot of low frequency noise).
I have had a lot of success using ASIO drivers. A few tricks to be aware of. I was completely unable to use ASIO 4ALL, the drivers didn't work for me. Just use the latest ASIO Behringer drivers. I can get 96khz sampling rates in REW and the Java drivers in REW will limit this to 48khz sampling rates.
Also, the unit can be a bit temperamental so I use a dedicated laptop and make sure I always plug the USB connector into the same USB port - hard to believe but swapping USB ports can screw things up!
As a note, the frequency response of the Behringer is 1-db at 5hz and 50,000hz (from memory). I did the feedback loop calibration and to be honest I don't even use it whilst testing as it is well beyond the limits of my speakers anyway. I guess if I was testing a subwoofer I would use it.

On another note I have noticed that this unit seems to suffer a lot from latency problems. Even at "safe" settings using ASIO drivers, whilst listening to music, there are small glitches in the audio stream about once every 10 seconds and there is some smearing of the sound. Luckily I can use another USB DAC for the purposes of listening to music but based on my experiences whilst I would recommend it for speaker testing, I would not recommend this unit for listening to music.
Thanks for suggestion to use the Behringer ASIO drivers, I will have to try that later. I was trying to use REW with a umc204 card, an emm6 mic and ASIO4ALL HDMI out. The level check sorta worked for a few seconds then an increasing amount of noise was generated. I am not sure if I ever did a full sweep with that setup as there are still some problems.

Does the Behringer ASIO drivers support HDMI out? If not are there any suggestions or work that can get the ASIO4ALL to work with the Behringer UMC204. I assume fixes would require updates to ASIO4ALL, I can loan the UMC204 if that helps.
post #86 of 118 Old 04-22-15, 03:48 PM
REW Author

John

ASIO drivers for a device only support that device, the only outputs the Behringer driver will support is those on the card. ASIO4All creates a synthetic ASIO driver that actually talks to devices via the Windows drivers for the device or devices selected.
post #87 of 118 Old 04-23-15, 06:25 PM
Shackster
wayne

My System

Quote:
waynea wrote: View Post
Thanks for suggestion to use the Behringer ASIO drivers, I will have to try that later. I was trying to use REW with a umc204 card, an emm6 mic and ASIO4ALL HDMI out. The level check sorta worked for a few seconds then an increasing amount of noise was generated. I am not sure if I ever did a full sweep with that setup as there are still some problems.

Does the Behringer ASIO drivers support HDMI out? If not are there any suggestions or work that can get the ASIO4ALL to work with the Behringer UMC204. I assume fixes would require updates to ASIO4ALL, I can loan the UMC204 if that helps.
I tried everything again and this time everything worked. I am not sure of the difference except may a different USB port.
To summarize
Behringer UMC204 worked with ASIO4ALL and Behringer ASIO drivers including using HDMI out on the ASIO4ALL drivers. It also worked with the Java drivers.

Thanks for your notes and thanks to those who worked on REW and ASIO4ALL.

Wayne

Last edited by waynea; 04-27-15 at 11:13 AM.
post #88 of 118 Old 06-19-15, 08:20 PM

Hi I am using a M audio fast track pro USB pre . When i try to do a calibration it dosent show me a flat response on the REW. it shows a slope on the frequency indicating that the low frequency response is poor . The same unit tested with another software shows a flat response what could this be due to
post #89 of 118 Old 06-20-15, 03:23 AM
Senior Shackster

TomFord

My System

I downloaded the REW, but was confused on how any adjustments I made in it would translate into all (or at least components aside from laptop) of my system.

After seeing the gear some of you are using, does connecting it to a beringer like many of you have allow you to get the adjustments the software makes into your AVR, DVR, PS4, Oppo?
post #90 of 118 Old 06-20-15, 01:20 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
Arunnarula wrote: View Post
Hi I am using a M audio fast track pro USB pre . When i try to do a calibration it dosent show me a flat response on the REW. it shows a slope on the frequency indicating that the low frequency response is poor . The same unit tested with another software shows a flat response what could this be due to
Probably need a screenshot to know whether what you are seeing is normal. When comparing results for different programs make sure the graph scales are similar - REW uses a highly zoomed in SPL scale when looking at the loopback response, for example, so what looks like a large slope may be just a few tenths of a dB from flat.