Saffire PRO24 calibration - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

Saffire PRO24 calibration

Hi peoples

This is my first post and Im in dire need of help (aren't we all)
I am a sound production student so I have some knowledge, but as this shows, not nearly enuf!

I am using the Focusrite Saffire Pro24 DSP and am having trouble even getting a simple calibration. Here is a guide to what I am doing.

I have 6 Line outs and 4 line in's
All cables are unplugged exept for the firewire to my PC.

I have several ways to control the amplitude.
I can turn up the line in gain (it is also an XLR) and I have my main monitor gain. These are hardware pots on the front of card.
I can use the internal Saffire MixControl software mixer to control individual ins, outs and mix etc and also I can do some routing.
I can use REW

I take my 1/4 inch and pop it from Line output 2 to Line Input 2
All the REW settings are default

When running soundcard calibration in REW, I get the test tone sitting at -12dB and my right channel amplitude is sitting at around -86dB

I can fiddle with the pots on my Saffire but I get either a weak signal or what seems to be feedback even tho I am not monitoring the input

I know this is a rather meager amount of info but I am really not sure where to start

I need some peeps with patience the right questions and a knack for talking to newbs

Thanks

LoG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 03:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Saffire PRO24 calibration

> If you're running Win7 or Vista ( you didn't bother to say ), go now ( like right now ) to This Thread ! .
> Read it and make sure you are setup for 2 channel input .

> If you are already set ( for 2-chnl input ) then try using the beta version of REW that supports ASIO drivers / & then use the ASIO drivers that came with your card ( instead of the WDM/JAVA drivers that you must be currently trying to use ) .
> You'll see that the ASIO drivers ( as seen from within REW ) offer much clearer virtual routing of input to output .

> Here's the Beta version ( if you don't already have it loaded ) ; wizardinstallv5.01beta7.exe

> If for some reason you are not completely comfy with the ASIO drivers from Focusrite then download & use the ASIO4All driver "wrapper" , though it will still insist on you having functioning WDM drivers to do it's thing . One reason I can think of ( for using ASIO4ALL ) is doing so will take your Focusrite virtual mixer out of the picture ( which could be where your current bottleneck is ) .

Quote:
LoG wrote:
I need some peeps with patience the right questions and a knack for talking to newbs
> Not me at all since I abhor spoon-feeding , but I'll hang until you do something to grump me out .

PS ; If this doesn't work , I'll be asking you to post screen-captures of a few things ( including your virtual mixer setup & your Preferences page from within REW, as well as pics of all your sound control panels from whatever WinVersion you are running ) , so be fore-warned & prepared to post these pics .

> ie ; Please Read-Posting-A-Graph

Last edited by EarlK; 12-12-11 at 03:28 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

Quote:
EarlK wrote: View Post
> If you're running Win7 or Vista ( you didn't bother to say ), go now ( like right now ) to This Thread ! .
Sorry I should have said. Im using Win7 Home x64

I will run over to the thread you suggest and ensure my settings are correct and report back here.

(And dont worry, I dont need spoon fed, just point me towards the spoon )

p.s. thanks for the speedy reply

Last edited by LoG; 12-12-11 at 03:11 PM. Reason: A thanks was in order

post #4 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

Ok, my card was set to 2 channel 24bit 48kHz. I know REW is fine with 48kHz but is the 24bit a problem?

I am downloading the version of REW you linked and will install that, should only take a few mins.

I will be able to post any info or screenshots you need as Im reasonably computer savey, so if I dont understand it wont be hard for you to direct me to the place where such info resides.

I currently have the saffire drivers installed and I take it REW version 5.0 doesnt support ASIO drivers?
I selected the soundcard from the in and out dropdown list. Anyhoo, I will install the 5.01 beta and report back asap.

------------------------

Ok, the 5.01beta is on and here are my initial settings.

Drivers - ASIO
Sample Rate - 48kHz (I also reduced my bit depth to 16 jst to keep it simple)
ASIO Device - ASIO Saffire
Output - 2:Pro24DSP-001570 Mon 2 (the channel I usually use as line out to my right monitor)
Input - 2:Pro24DSP-001570 IP 2

I still have my cable from the line out 2 to my line in 2
48v is NOT on.

I have no idea what the timing ref out and in is for, do I need to set this, I see I have a choice of all the ins and outs i have currently not used.

Here is a pic of the mixcontrol software for the saffire, the red on the right hand numbers is the monitor output selection, red means muted.(I am unsure I can use this interface on my PC without the mixcontrol)
Saffire PRO24 calibration-mixcontrol.jpg

Last edited by LoG; 12-12-11 at 03:58 PM. Reason: More info
post #5 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 03:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Rews Help File states , that internally REW uses 16-Bit samples and then the Help File goes on to recommend the 48Khz/16-bit setup .

I'd stick with that arrangement if it works for you .

FYI; REW can import & export 16, 24, 32 bit PCM signed wave files ( just not 32 bit floating ) .

post #6 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

For test purposes I will stick to 16bit 44kHz
post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 05:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Okay, I'm staring at your MixControl panel .

I see the necessary input represented and maybe REWs' output Chnls ( software returns ) called DAW1 & DAW 2 ??? .

Here's an EMU PatchMix ( virtual mixer ) set up to do what you need to do ( though that ASIO Out 31/32 is superfluous to this conversation ) .

Yea I know , that Patchmix mixer is not exactly intuitive nor instinctive ( when trying to figure what it's actually routing ) .
But notice the mention of "Wave 1 & 2" .

> Wave 1 & 2 is REWs digital return stream ( output ) / I'm assuming DAW 1 & 2 in your world connects to REWs outputs. Is that correct ?

> Also note ; the analog input channel coming into this monitor mixer is "muted" . That's the way it should be ( at least in Patchmix & most other virtual mixers that I've seen ) .
> Muting here ( at the virtual monitor mixer ) only stops the signal from being routed back out the analog outputs ( as part of a monitor mix for musicians ) .
> Not muting here creates a feedback loop that will/can cause either overload ( if it is a loopback type connection ) or actual acoustic howling ( with a microphone & live speaker ) .

Quote:
Ok, the 5.01beta is on and here are my initial settings.

Drivers - ASIO
Sample Rate - 48kHz (I also reduced my bit depth to 16 jst to keep it simple)
ASIO Device - ASIO Saffire
Output - 2:Pro24DSP-001570 Mon 2 (the channel I usually use as line out to my right monitor)
Input - 2:Pro24DSP-001570 IP 2

I still have my cable from the line out 2 to my line in 2
48v is NOT on.

I have no idea what the timing ref out and in is for, do I need to set this, I see I have a choice of all the ins and outs i have currently not used.
> You don't need the timing reference at this time .
Here is a pic of the mixcontrol software for the saffire, the red on the right hand numbers is the monitor output selection, red means muted.(I am unsure I can use this interface on my PC without the mixcontrol)
> Your mixcontrol will be bypassed ( based on my experience with multichannel M-Audio cards ) if you use the ASIO4ALL drivers .
> I believe ( from this one picture ) that you should concentrate on getting REWs' output through your gear & out to a speaker first ( for instance ) .

> So disconnect the loop-back cable , restore your chnl 2 out to your speaker monitor . Turn on REWs Signal Generator ( using a 1K tone set to -15 ) and go to it & get signal from REW through patchmix to your powered monitors .

> To test your input , you might just plug in any mic ( dynamic or condensor ) into either chnl 1 or 2 of your saffire , then check to establish good signal in your Saffire preamp > open up REWs "Levels" window > then do any necessary softpatching until you see signal show up in the appropriate REW meter ( within the "Levels" duaghter-window ) .

> Once you have established output & input > go back & re-etablish your loopback connection & try a SoundCard calibration .

Last edited by EarlK; 12-12-11 at 05:35 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-12-11, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

Sadly I had to run off, I will return to this when I wake up and have some coffee. Its 2am right now and I need bed
post #9 of 15 Old 12-13-11, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

The worst thing is, I have never been 100% sure on the routing using the mixcontrol software, its likely my biggest weak point, its the same when I am using the Neive mixers in college. Once I know my way around I get by, but I never fully comprehend the routing... gah!

Anyway, thats something I am working hard to rectify.

I will get the mixer interface you showed and copy the settings and report back.

Also, which version of E-MU do you suggest?

Im guessing the "E-MU Windows 7 USB Beta Driver October 2010 (0202 USB, 0404 USB, Tracker Pre USB)" version because my card is not an internal PCI card and because I am Win7.

Im on this page : http://connect.creativelabs.com/emu/default.aspx

Last edited by LoG; 12-13-11 at 08:37 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-13-11, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
LoG
Shackster
AnaLoGMunKy

Ok...

I tried one last time with mix saffire and I think I have finally got a real reading.

Here is my reading (I take it REW defaults to the graph type you want)

Saffire PRO24 calibration-rew-pro24-13-12-11-3pm.jpg

And here is the REW file, tho I understand that may be for another forum another time.

PRO24 13-12-11 3pm.mdat