Newbie question on equipment - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 01-16-12, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Newbie question on equipment

I installed REW and trying to gather equipment that I need. I have calibrated usb microphone that came with my Anthem receiver. Unfortunately, it is proprietary file. Not sure if I am able to use for anything.

Based on reading in the forum, I decided to buy TASCAM US-144 sound card. I already have radioshack spl meter. It looks like I need to use either microphone or spl meeter. Is it right? I would like to use this meter temporarily until I decide to buy microphone. Calibrated 8000 microphone seems twice expensive as uncalibrated.

I guess I need to connect TASCAM to computer and anthem receiver. What cables do I need?. What cable do I need to connect radio shack meter or microphone to TASCAM?

If it is really good to have microphone, I can buy it now instead of later. Appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-16-12, 07:22 PM
Shackster

For cables, you need to convert from 1/8 mini jack on the sound card to standard RCA. Two of those plus a long enough RCA cable to reach the anthem from the computer. RS meter seems to be fine for measuring a sub, for higher frequencies, an external mic is more accurate. If you go with the mic, you'll also need a power source for it.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-16-12, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Newbie question on equipment

Quote:
chris71478 wrote: View Post
For cables, you need to convert from 1/8 mini jack on the sound card to standard RCA. Two of those plus a long enough RCA cable to reach the anthem from the computer. RS meter seems to be fine for measuring a sub, for higher frequencies, an external mic is more accurate. If you go with the mic, you'll also need a power source for it.
Thanks for quick reply. I don't know what is exactly phantom power, but TASCAM provides this power I think. If so, still do I need power source for microphone?

Mostly,I might buy calibrated 8000 microphone. I am going through sticky forum on cross spectrum provided microphone.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 10:30 AM
Shackster

I too am new at measuring audio. I am doing some DIY speakers and will be using miniDSP as an active crossover for the bi-amped linear arrays, so I guess I need a decent mic and ?soundcard. (I build my own PCs so my concept of a sound card is diff from a microphone card. So, for limited home use, am I looking at the correct items here - ART Tube MP Tube Mic Preamp with 48V Phantom Power, and Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone - ? Does this preamp box just plug into audio in on a Win7 laptop, loaded w/ the REW and miniDSP plugin and I'm good to go?
This would be for the individual speaker builds as the system EQ will be thru the AVR's Audyssey MultiQ XT.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 11:59 AM
Elite Shackster

> Above is a much better option ( for REW ) than what you've mentioned .

> A single channel pre-amp , is not as useful as a two channel .

> The ART "USB Dual Pre" is a two channel card ( which you'll want for determining & then dialing in delay offsets between speaker components within your DIY builds ) .

> Also, I'd stay right away from tube anything ( when related to measurement gear ) .

post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 12:25 PM
Shackster

OK - so this is roughly 2x cost(plus another mic I suppose?), but I want to do it well. Besides delay offsets am I missing out on anything else I would regret later for DIY speaker build for HT?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 12:34 PM
Shackster

Further research I find the ART USB DUAL PRE and the TASCAM 122MkII for about the same $. Roughly equivalent quality, features for my needs? ( Just mic to laptop for measurements, no recording, mixing, etc)
post #8 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 12:43 PM
Elite Shackster

> You only need a single test mic ( when using the two channel card ) for the 2-chnl to be useful .

> The second chnl is referenced to itself and then becomes "Time Zero" against which TOF ( time of flight to a speaker component) is measured . So you need the 2nd chnl as a reference channel .

> The Tascam should be a better unit than the ART ( Tascam has a better name for this type of gear ) .

post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 01:47 PM
Shackster

OK - thanks!
Both:
TASCAM US-122MKII
Calibrated Dayton EMM-6 microphone from Cross Spectrum

Are en route!
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-12, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
gmannel wrote: View Post
OK - thanks!
Both:
TASCAM US-122MKII
Calibrated Dayton EMM-6 microphone from Cross Spectrum

Are en route!
Cool. I placed an order for TASCAM 144. I already have coax cable and for $10 more I thought 144 is good.

Can you share what level of calibration you are going for and is it good for REW? I intend to place an order for microphone today.