Harman Kardon EZSet/EQ mike? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-12, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Harman Kardon EZSet/EQ mike?

I'm just starting to think about using REW to see what my room looks like - and I'm just doing some research before I give it a try.
I have a digital Radio Shack SPL meter that I see can be used - and I also have a mike that came with my Harman Kardon 3600 for doing the auto calibration. Is it possible to use the HK mike with the REW software?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-12, 04:02 PM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

Re: Harman Kardon EZSet/EQ mike?

I don't know.

Is it an omnidirectional mic with a correction file?
And does it interface with a data acquisition system?

You might contact Harmon and ask for the mic's specs and operational parameters. That information would make answering the question decidedly easier.

My gut feeling is that after one considers cost drivers and constraints of the Harmon device, that the Dayton EMM6 for $49 with a calibration file is light years ahead of the Harmon mic.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-12, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
SAC wrote: View Post
I don't know.

Is it an omnidirectional mic with a correction file?
And does it interface with a data acquisition system?

You might contact Harmon and ask for the mic's specs and operational parameters. That information would make answering the question decidedly easier.

My gut feeling is that after one considers cost drivers and constraints of the Harmon device, that the Dayton EMM6 for $49 with a calibration file is light years ahead of the Harmon mic.
That is kind of what I was thinking - I just wasn't sure if maybe someone had used it previously and maybe had a calibration file.

I just contacted them because the mike that came with my 3600 was DOA - but I have one from my 635 that works... once I get a dialog going with them I can ask about a calibration file.

That Dayton does sound like a pretty good deal for something that has known specs and a calibration file - I'll have to look into that.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-29-12, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:

The Dayton is now $39 on Amazon - so I plan to order one... but it looks like I will also need an amplifier, XLR cable, and XLR to headphone adapter... any suggestions on those items?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-29-12, 04:34 PM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

An ART Dual USB Pre(amp) for $69 from B&H Photo.

An XLR to XLR mic cable (~15-20 foot will handle everything you might need now or in the future).
A 1/4" TRS phono plug male to 1/4" TRS phono plug male (loopback) cable. (TRS = tip ring sleeve - like a stereo phone plug)
A 1/4" TRS phono plug male 2 RCA female jacks (example)
An RCA male to RCA male cable (~10-15 foot will again handle about any situation that you might ever encounter).
Mic stand

See this site for pictures of a similar application and the pre-amp cable connections
post #6 of 10 Old 02-29-12, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
An ART Dual USB Pre(amp) for $69 from B&H Photo.

An XLR to XLR mic cable (~15-20 foot will handle everything you might need now or in the future).
A 1/4" TRS phono plug male to 1/4" TRS phono plug male (loopback) cable. (TRS = tip ring sleeve - like a stereo phone plug)
A 1/4" TRS phono plug male 2 RCA female jacks (example)
An RCA male to RCA male cable (~10-15 foot will again handle about any situation that you might ever encounter).
Mic stand

See this site for pictures of a similar application and the pre-amp cable connections
Great, thank you!
I was getting confused looking at some of these things because I was thinking I would need to go XLR from the pre-amp to the line in jack on my soundcard (using a desktop computer because I don't have a working laptop)?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-29-12, 09:02 PM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

The only connection to your PC from the pre-amp will be the USB cable.

The description is 'a bit' confusing!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-29-12, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System
Quote:
SAC wrote:
The only connection to your PC from the pre-amp will be the USB cable.

The description is 'a bit' confusing!
Ok, gotcha... So the preamp and usb will function in place of the plugs into my sound card to get the audio signals to REW.

I was picturing the preamp as just functioning as part of the mic that then went to the line in - I get it now I think.

I was looking at a different pre-amp last night that was not a USB model - maybe that's where I was getting mixed up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- comments welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-12, 10:28 AM
SAC
Banned!
SAC

In the various diagrams, think of the Pre-amp as what is pictured as the sound card.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-12, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Aaron

My System

Quote:
In the various diagrams, think of the Pre-amp as what is pictured as the sound card.
Thanks for the help