New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 84 Old 12-01-12, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

That new mic for MiniDSP looks like the hot ticket.

Thanks a ton for responding to this thread John, if not I would have never known about it and the work your doing to make it work with REW

This is what I have been waiting for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 Old 12-02-12, 04:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
paskal wrote: View Post
the only gripe is that there's no 90 degrees off axis correction.
if i remember correctly there should be some slight difference on axis and off axis measurement. higher attenuation at the high frequency.
I may be able to assist with that.

The wholesale pricing for UMM-6 mics is pretty reasonable, so I may be able to offer CSL "Basic+" (0-degree, 45-degree and 90-degree) versions of this mic at a slight premium over the PE pricing. First thing is that I have to get my hands on one and see how well it works with my measurement rig - I'm really hoping that the capsule end is 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch diameter and not some non-standard in-between size like the OmniMic microphone.

edit: gah, it is a non-standard size (0.315")

Last edited by Anechoic; 12-02-12 at 04:26 PM. Reason: dimension
post #13 of 84 Old 12-05-12, 08:03 PM
Shackster
Daniel

I purchased the miniDSP mic. It shipped today. For any one interested here is my calibration file. FYI you can look at the different calibration files by simply modifying the serial number in the link. I did some comparing to other mics and there are definitely some highly accurate mics out of the box, more so than mine.

http://www.minidsp.com/images/umik/Umik-1/7000137.txt

If you don't mind spending the time one could consider asking miniDSP for a particular serial number mic. I wasn't aware that all the files were available online when I placed my order...

I look forward to using the mic with REW for EQing my sub and getting a baseline EQ for our church PA system.

Daniel

post #14 of 84 Old 12-05-12, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

So the MiniDSP UMIK-1 mic will work with REW right now or do we have to wait for a REW update?
post #15 of 84 Old 12-05-12, 09:24 PM
Shackster
Daniel

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
So the MiniDSP UMIK-1 mic will work with REW right now or do we have to wait for a REW update?
Yes it can be used as a mic as is. The REW update will allow the mic to be used as a SPL Meter. So until then you would use the mic and a SPL meter.

Daniel
post #16 of 84 Old 12-05-12, 11:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

My UMM-6 arrived today. I threw is on the rig to see what kind of frequency response curve I would get and to compare it with the factory Dayon curve. To say I was shocked is putting it mildly:

The two curves aren't even close .

This may be a problem on my end, I know that ARTA has problem with taking transfer function measurements between two different sound card devices so I'll experiment a little more with Holm Impulse to see if my results are consistent.

In the meanwhile I'll have to wait a little bit before offering these for sale.
post #17 of 84 Old 12-06-12, 04:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

I spent the last three hours trying a variety of cal methods and everything I get is consistent with the plots above.

I'll pick up a UMIK-1 in the next week or two and see what I get with that mic.

edit: have there been any 3rd party measurements of the UMM-6 or UMIK-1?
post #18 of 84 Old 12-06-12, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

So can anything be done about the UMM-6 to improve it or should we just stay away?
post #19 of 84 Old 12-06-12, 04:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
So can anything be done about the UMM-6 to improve it or should we just stay away?
The thing is, I don't know how Dayton is measuring their mics. Dayton worked with Bill Waslo to developed the Omnimic system so they clearly have access to smart guys; maybe they accounting/correcting for something in their measurement that I'm not (and should be). On the other hand, I can replicate the results from two NIST traceable labs to within 1 dB (reconfirmed today) with my setup so I think my data is good.

Without knowing what they are doing, all I can do is plot two curves generated from the same mic and wonder what the is going on here...

The thing of it is, I'd like to start selling the UMM-6 myself, but I can't justify doing it when there's a 5 dB difference between what I get and the factory curve without understanding why. I get slightly different data with my Dayton EMM-6 measurements, but not *5* dB different!
post #20 of 84 Old 12-07-12, 01:18 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
The thing is, I don't know how Dayton is measuring their mics. Dayton worked with Bill Waslo to developed the Omnimic system so they clearly have access to smart guys; maybe they accounting/correcting for something in their measurement that I'm not (and should be). On the other hand, I can replicate the results from two NIST traceable labs to within 1 dB (reconfirmed today) with my setup so I think my data is good.

Without knowing what they are doing, all I can do is plot two curves generated from the same mic and wonder what the is going on here...

The thing of it is, I'd like to start selling the UMM-6 myself, but I can't justify doing it when there's a 5 dB difference between what I get and the factory curve without understanding why. I get slightly different data with my Dayton EMM-6 measurements, but not *5* dB different!
It seems like that would be a discrepancy that they would want to correct/clarify, especially if it is just something deliberate they did that is helpful. Is there anyone at PE you could reach out to that would have the technical expertise to help add insight to this?