New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 84 Old 12-07-12, 11:27 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
94vg30de wrote: View Post
Is there anyone at PE you could reach out to that would have the technical expertise to help add insight to this?
I don't know, I guess I'll do some digging when I get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 84 Old 12-13-12, 10:41 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

I spent the bulk of yesterday going over my setup with a fine tooth comb and validating my methods by calibrating my Type 1 mics and comparing my results with that of a few other NIST-traceable labs. I don't know what's going on with the Dayton factory curves, but I'm convinced that my results are correct - the alternative is that the factory curve is correct and West Caldwll Labs, Scantek and Modal Shop have the exact same error in their methodologies.

So I'm pulling the trigger: introducing CSL calibrated UMM-6 Basic+ microphones - 0/45/90 degree correction curves, $90 USD + shipping. HTS members get the normal $5 perpetual discount and the additional $5 "gratitude" discount which I will extend to December 24 given the short notice.
post #23 of 84 Old 12-13-12, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

That's cool news!

I suppose it will but wanted to make sure this will work with REW? How low will it realistically measure down to accurately?

How do I go about getting the HTS discount?

Thanks for the info.

post #24 of 84 Old 12-13-12, 12:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
That's cool news!

I suppose it will but wanted to make sure this will work with REW? How low will it realistically measure down to accurately?
It does work with REW. With the cal curve you should be able to measure down to 5 Hz, but there will be a number of other factors that will effect how low you can actually go in your application.

Quote:
How do I go about getting the HTS discount?
Place an order and on the PayPal page there will be a box that says "Instructions to merchant" - in that box, leave your HTS username and I'll refund the $10.
post #25 of 84 Old 12-14-12, 02:18 PM

Hello,

since I'm new to this forum I can't post links
But while searching for a USB measurment mic, I also found
a new USB measurment mic series (real 1/2" capsule compatible with Bruel&Kjaer etc.) from Dr-Jordan-Design.
They also offer a package with this mic and their analysis software including room acoutic measurement at Ebay
From dayton there is a similar package, but their mic and software seems less powerful.
Any comments to compare these packages? Basically I want to optimize my room acoustics
And I'm looking for a simple to use system. These USB mics seems the right way. Since cabling is much easier and I do not need to worry about phantompower and it is always calibrated.

Alex
post #26 of 84 Old 12-14-12, 04:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
loxodantus wrote: View Post
Hello,

since I'm new to this forum I can't post links
But while searching for a USB measurment mic, I also found
a new USB measurment mic series (real 1/2" capsule compatible with Bruel&Kjaer etc.) from Dr-Jordan-Design.
They also offer a package with this mic and their analysis software including room acoutic measurement at Ebay
From dayton there is a similar package, but their mic and software seems less powerful.
Any comments to compare these packages? Basically I want to optimize my room acoustics
And I'm looking for a simple to use system. These USB mics seems the right way. Since cabling is much easier and I do not need to worry about phantompower and it is always calibrated.

Alex
Are you talking about this or this? Those products will work fine (likely better) than the Dayton systems, but those are professional tools and you'll be paying professional prices, especially since you'll need to add a mic capsule with the pre-amp in the first link. The entire Omnimic system will cost less than just the mic capsule you need for the system in the first link!
post #27 of 84 Old 12-14-12, 11:51 PM

Hello,

I mean the first one (silver module based) it also includes the capsule (class 2)
But they also offer a package including this mic and their software much cheaper

->You are here: Home ->Shop-> Software-> Non commercial-> Complete Audio Measurement System

It is for non-commerical applications and home/hobby users (like me :-) )

Alex
post #28 of 84 Old 12-15-12, 12:10 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
loxodantus wrote: View Post
Hello,

I mean the first one (silver module based) it also includes the capsule (class 2)
But they also offer a package including this mic and their software much cheaper
It looks like a better system than the Omnimic. The microphone is undoubtedly better (likely flatter without a correction curve, lower noise floor, higher sensitivity) and the program incorporates a signal generator unlike the external CD solution of the Omnimic.
post #29 of 84 Old 01-01-13, 05:19 PM
Shackster

Happy New Year all!

Just found out abount the UMM-6 mic at AVS Forum. I have a few of questions.

So with this mic the REW connection will be UMM-6 -> usb -> Laptop -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDTV?

Before downloading V5.01 beta 10 do I need to delete the old REW version?

After V5.01 do I need to download ASIO4ALL?
post #30 of 84 Old 01-01-13, 07:08 PM
Shackster

Quote:
JChin wrote: View Post
Happy New Year all!

Just found out abount the UMM-6 mic at AVS Forum. I have a few of questions.

So with this mic the REW connection will be UMM-6 -> usb -> Laptop -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDTV?

Before downloading V5.01 beta 10 do I need to delete the old REW version?

After V5.01 do I need to download ASIO4ALL?
Hi, it's Jason from over at AVS. Sorry I couldn't get back with you earlier.

You don't need a TV hooked up, but otherwise, that sounds right. You don't need to delete anything. Just install over top. Then simply install the driver after installing the new beta of REW and you're good to go!

Let me know if you need anything else,

--J