New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #41 of 84 Old 02-07-13, 11:03 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Wink Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
But don't even think about using these mics to make actual recordings.
Unless of course, the "desired sound" is to resemble the pre World War I aesthetic, or something akin to such.
It could be a really creative tool...

(Does anyone know what the dac is?)


Last edited by reibian; 02-07-13 at 11:21 AM. Reason: 訂正
reibian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 84 Old 02-18-13, 08:50 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 134
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Would anyone know if the UMM-6 operates at 44.1 kHz sample rate, or only at 48 kHz? I can't find this information anywhere...
HifiZine is offline  
post #43 of 84 Old 02-18-13, 09:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 397
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
Would anyone know if the UMM-6 operates at 44.1 kHz sample rate, or only at 48 kHz? I can't find this information anywhere...
Does it operate at 48 kHz at all? I've only been able to use it at 44.1.
Anechoic is offline  
 
post #44 of 84 Old 02-18-13, 09:58 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 134
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Ah. Thanks Herb, perhaps it only operates at 44k1 then. I guess that's what should have asked, what samples rate or rates does it run at.
HifiZine is offline  
post #45 of 84 Old 02-19-13, 12:47 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
Does it operate at 48 kHz at all? I've only been able to use it at 44.1.
Hmm... I have been using it with 48khz selected on REW since I received it. Just changed it to 44.1khz and that works fine, too.

--J
bulldog is offline  
post #46 of 84 Old 02-19-13, 01:17 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 397
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
bulldog wrote: View Post
Hmm... I have been using it with 48khz selected on REW since I received it. Just changed it to 44.1khz and that works fine, too.
Is the mic actually working at 48kHz under REW, or is REW resampling the output? No matter what sample rate I use inside ARTA, I always get a sharp rolloff at 21-22 kHz which is why I thought the output was fixed at 44.1 kHz.
Anechoic is offline  
post #47 of 84 Old 02-19-13, 02:36 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
Is the mic actually working at 48kHz under REW, or is REW resampling the output? No matter what sample rate I use inside ARTA, I always get a sharp rolloff at 21-22 kHz which is why I thought the output was fixed at 44.1 kHz.
Good question. I measure from 0-20k with either setting. How would you suggest I measure and what would I look for to know if REW is resampling?

I always change the playback device in Windows to match the 44.1/48 setting.

My test rig is actually set up and ready to go if you'd like me to perform specific tests just let me know.

--J
bulldog is offline  
post #48 of 84 Old 02-19-13, 04:05 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 134
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

The "acid test" seems to be the impulse response. Could I ask if either of you have examined that, when taking a 44k1 sweep, does it look reasonable for the DUT?

Herb, perhaps what you are seeing in the UMM-6 is an anti-aliasing filter? Not switched by sample rate. On the Mac an input device will tell you what sample rates it will run at, I don't know right now how to get the same info on Windows.
HifiZine is offline  
post #49 of 84 Old 02-19-13, 03:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 397
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
HifiZine wrote: View Post
Herb, perhaps what you are seeing in the UMM-6 is an anti-aliasing filter? Not switched by sample rate. On the Mac an input device will tell you what sample rates it will run at, I don't know right now how to get the same info on Windows.
Okay, I found a setting deep inside the Win 7 sound control panel that does switch sample rates and it does seem that the UMM-6 operates at both 44.1 and 48 kHz. I was previously calibrating them under Win XP (I just got a Win 7 machine over the weekend) and I couldn't find a way to switch the sample rate, but it looks like I was measuring it on the 48 kHz setting (I mistakenly thought I was calibrating it at 44.1 kHz).
Anechoic is offline  
post #50 of 84 Old 02-19-13, 03:39 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,298
Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
I was previously calibrating them under Win XP (I just got a Win 7 machine over the weekend) and I couldn't find a way to switch the sample rate, but it looks like I was measuring it on the 48 kHz setting (I mistakenly thought I was calibrating it at 44.1 kHz).

Would this have any effect on the calibration files?
Phillips is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audio , dayton , mic , umm6 , usb

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome