New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 84 Old 11-24-12, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

I just got the new Parts Express 2013 catalog and they have a new measurement mic listed. It is not showing up on the website yet so it's not available to order but in the catalog it lists for $88.26. It looks like the Omnimic but it instead black.

I took a pic of the product page:

I am thinking this will work with REW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 11-24-12, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: New Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic

Looks like it could possibly be an excellent candidate for use with Room EQ Wizard. One important thing to find out: does each individual unit come with its own a factory-supplied calibration curve? Calibration microphones in this price range typically do not, so if this one does, that would be a real bonus.

As has been discussed in other threads, there are places where a microphone like this can be sent in and calibrated, giving the user a calibration curve to use with Room EQ Wizard or other such software packages, if not already supplied. Absent individual calibration, it could still be used to get rough starting-point curves for a system, but for any kind of refined work, individual calibration is a must.

Assuming basic performance specs like noise level and distortion are good, and there is no reason to believe they wouldn't be, this unit with its USB connection might be a nice measurement microphone for someone who doesn't have a good quality audio interface. Could be a real value unit for someone just getting into speaker/room measurements and treatments.

Edit: A correction about less-expensive measurement microphones and individual calibration curves - Dayton Audio's EMM-6 measurement microphone does come each with its own factory calibration curve. They retail for $80, Parts Express carries them for under $50, on sale at the moment of this writing for under $40, quite a deal, and the model appears to have very nice specifications overall. A unique text calibration file can be downloaded from Dayton's website corresponding to the microphone's serial number. The new UMM-6 is most likely (educated guess) based on the EMM-6, and as such may very well feature individual calibration files available, too.

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 11-25-12 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added new information
post #3 of 84 Old 11-25-12, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Good point, we will have to wait until it is available to purchase and find out if it will come with a calibration file. I would certainly hope so with the price there asking.

One thing I remember about REW is you need to connect the audio output of your computer for the test tones. I wonder if it is possible to make a CD like Omnimic comes with so you only have to connect the USB mic and insert the CD and your ready to measure. This sure would make REW a lot more user friendly.

post #4 of 84 Old 11-25-12, 04:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
One thing I remember about REW is you need to connect the audio output of your computer for the test tones. I wonder if it is possible to make a CD like Omnimic comes with so you only have to connect the USB mic and insert the CD and your ready to measure.
I am not sure if REW needs to be generating the sweep in order to be "in sync" with it somehow, or if it can follow a sweep from any source and make proper sense of it. A good question for John, the programmer.
post #5 of 84 Old 11-30-12, 12:49 PM
REW Author

John

REW needs to generate the sweep itself presently, but the ability to measure with external sweeps is on my ToDo list.

MiniDSP have just come out with a new USB mic, UMIK-1, which is individually calibrated, see http://www.minidsp.com/products/acou...urement/umik-1. It's a neat package, I've tried out a prototype which works very well - all the benefits of a calibrated measurement mic without the hassle of needing a preamp with phantom power or having to go through soundcard calibration. I'm currently making some tweaks in REW to make measuring with the UMIK-1 even easier.

Name:  Umik1-thumb.jpg
Views: 5653
Size:  28.4 KB
post #6 of 84 Old 11-30-12, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Nice to see some new simple USB mics.

Curious if calibrating them would be harder, as I imagine that calibrations for most mics that require phantom power actually use the raw signal from the mic..

John - Cool to see you tweaking REW for the MiniDSP mic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #7 of 84 Old 12-01-12, 09:43 AM
Shackster

just read the minidsp december newsletter and googled for the new umik-1 mic for any review or comparison with a professionally calibrated mics.

at USD$75 plus some shipping it should be the cheapest option to get a calibrated mic to use with REW. and it's specced to be flat till 5hz (after correction). by skipping phantom power, mic preamp or a new soundcard that supports condenser mic this should easily be the best deal so far.

i was previously considering the calibrated galaxy cm-140 (just to skip phantom power and mic pre) but after looking at the posted calibration result i decided to cancel. the meter have too much attenuation at the low frequency that it's not exactly precise anymore. -6db down at 20hz, -12db down at 10hz and -22db down at 5hz. it's only flat to 100hz.

this umik1 shows much potential. it's only a couple db down at 5hz.
post #8 of 84 Old 12-01-12, 10:09 AM
Shackster

I'm definitely in for more details. I haven't gotten around to picking up a USB-powered preamp, so this comes right at the right time.
post #9 of 84 Old 12-01-12, 04:19 PM
REW Author

John

Another plus for the UMIK-1 is the cal file includes sensitivity calibration, which the next release of REW will use to provide calibrated SPL readings from the mic - no SPL meter needed.
post #10 of 84 Old 12-01-12, 04:46 PM
Shackster

the only gripe is that there's no 90 degrees off axis correction.
if i remember correctly there should be some slight difference on axis and off axis measurement. higher attenuation at the high frequency.