Eurorack UB802 v XENYX 502/802 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 03-31-15, 05:01 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Eurorack UB802 v XENYX 502/802

There are a fair number of threads featuring 2i2 in the main REW forum, so best search there and see what people had to say. No reason it shouldn't work, but the same is true of the Q502 and from posts above looks like it has worked for others. You may want to try a simple loopback connection on the 502 using the line input and see if that can be made to work correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 04-01-15, 07:53 AM
Shackster

Xenyx Q502 returned. In my case it didn't work, the recording levels were always peaking (in HolmImpulse also). IMO the "monitor" signal is always present and that creates the problem. Again, IMO.

New device Scarlett 2i2/ ECM8000 (uncalibrated): it works, kind of... The thing is that the level raeadings via the SPL meter are not realistic. At subjective level of 75 dB, it would read 110 dB!! If "calaibrate" is set to 75 dB, then the measurements are indeed abt 40 dB down. Also if SPL reading is made to show e.g. 75 dB after calibration, the SPL level won't change with incerasing/decreasing acoustic level. Something is not quite OK (again, in this particular case, I know of no other reported problems?). I even reloaded the REW 5.1 version, no difference.

Also, since this was first use of the ECM8000 mic (non-calibrated), we noticed a huge peak at 50Hz, about 35 dB, narrow Q. Compared to the same-spot/same-speaker measurement with UMIK, where it is non-existent. The rest of the curve,well, almost overlapping with ECM's curve dropping down early after 1KHz and ending about 6-8 dB lower than UMIK's. In other users' experience, is this typical ECM8000 behaviour?

For a check, used the "standard" setup: UMIK-1 and laptop's line (headphone) output. Works OK. Go figure...

Either we are doing something wrong, or something else is at play, don't know. Anybody wiser and more experienced, please shoot.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-01-15, 11:12 AM
REW Author

John

The SPL meter cannot read correctly until it is calibrated, you need to tell REW how the signal level from the mic corresponds to an SPL figure, hence the step to calibrate the SPL reading. Before doing that check that the input level actually changes when the sound level in the room changes, of course, to make sure that input selection is correct.

The 50 Hz peak is almost certainly mains hum pickup, if you switch to the RTA you can see what is affecting that (for example, does it reduce if you use a shorter or different cable from the mic).

post #14 of 21 Old 04-03-15, 04:13 PM
Shackster

I did a loopback connection on the Scarlett 2i2.
At least this works. The REW level bar reacts to the gain changes, and the measured curve is pretty straight.

But no success with the mic (ECM8000). Still doesn't react to a room sound volume level changes while testing levels. Also with genrator' pink noise the SPL doesn't react. Even after "telling" it that a level is, say, 75 dB, it just stays there..?
post #15 of 21 Old 04-03-15, 06:36 PM
REW Author

John

Are you sure the phantom power was on when using the ECM?
post #16 of 21 Old 04-04-15, 01:11 AM
Shackster

Phantom power ON, yes.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-04-15, 09:39 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Don’t think you’ve given us any info on your computer or your connection scheme? If you’re using a Mac there can be issues. Connections should be like the picture below. Make sure you have the 2i2’s monitor turned off.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #18 of 21 Old 04-04-15, 02:00 PM
Shackster

Thanks Wayne.

The connection is OK as per diagram.Monitor to OFF.
But, I have found the same 50 Hz peak also on Holimpulse.
Also have audible hum when made a simple voice recording on Audacity (just for checking).
The mic is OK (checked), so are the cables. There seems to be a hum generating from the Scarlett 2i2. It is not audible without signal, but is clearly visible on the measurement graphs (REW and Holmimpulse) and is clearly audible on the replay of the recording in Audacity.
Will have to check the Scarlett. It was bought brand new, first user...
Did anybody else encounter similar problem with 2i2? It is not mains powered, but via USB.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-06-15, 06:16 AM
Shackster

Hi All.

Update on the reported ECM8000/Focusrite 2i2 hum problem (50 Hz peak), and subsequent non-responsivness to the SPL level changes:

Long story short, it was a faulty microphone cable!!! Even though the cable was bought brand-new, factory sealed etc. My testings with a MM showed all pins correctly, and no shorts. Even so, the big hum problem was easily repeated in the store, and they exchanged the cable.

Now the combination (ECM8000/2i2) does work indeed as expected.

Thank you all for participating in the problem-solving.

Rgds, Draki
post #20 of 21 Old 04-06-15, 12:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wow, that's a pretty rare problem with a mic cable, the last thing I would have expected. Glad you were able to figure it out!

Regards,
Wayne

|