trouble integrating my sub using spl meter - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 33 Old 03-22-13, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
trouble integrating my sub using spl meter

The trouble is that when i set my reference level to 75 db using the pink noise, then when i use say an 80 hz tone or lower to set the subs level then i cant get the 75 db level without turning the sub completely off because of the bass thats coming from the front speakers, anything added by the sub registers too much on the spl meter, and thats with the speakers set to small, and the crossover at 80 hz, I've even tried in pure direct mode and the same problem. I'm totally stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated

Receiver: Yamaha RXV 671
Fronts: Polk Rti A5's
Center: Polk Csi A6
Sub: Polk PSW 505
Surrounds Tsi 300's
Back Surrounds: Tsi 100's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-22-13, 11:52 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: trouble integrating my sub using spl meter

Working with tones like sine waves can be tricky. Your main front speakers could have a peak right at 80 Hz that gives a much higher reading than you see with pink noise. It sounds like you have only an SPL meter to work with, so you cannot see the individual frequency peaks/dips and their contribution to frequency response.

Assuming you have a computer you can use for analysis, download and start up Room EQ Wizard to use as a filtered pink noise source. Select Generator, Speaker Cal to check your Speaker level. Then choose Sub Cal and set your sub level to match. With only an SPL meter to work with, that should give you a decent setting. You might hear boominess at individual frequencies, but that should not be a problem with most music/movies. To go beyond this level of tuning, your would need a calibrated mic/audio interface setup working with Room EQ Wizard. Then you could perform spectrum analysis and see what is happening with extremely narrow frequency resolution. Of course that takes you to the next step of implementing equalization to make corrections, and at this point we have opened up Pandora's Box of possibilities and ways to spend money. Unless you have money and time to dedicate, do the calibration as mentioned above and call it good,.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks AudiocRaver, I do have REW but i need a to get a usb sound card to use it, i haven't bought one yet because like you said opening the Pandora's box of needing a mic and phantom power etc. etc. but for now I'll stick with your advice and just use my meter and maybe later down the road try to finely tune it some more, thanks again and I'll post back here with my results

post #4 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 08:56 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Do you have access to filtered pink noise media files you can play back for your calibration source?
post #5 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 09:13 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

To be more specific, you should have a 500 Hz to 2 KHz filtered pink noise file for your main speaker levels, and a 20 Hz to 80 Hz filtered pink noise file for your sub levels. If you don't have access to anything like that, let me know, we'll get something created and available where you can download it.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Yes I have an Avia test disc and used it, it has one test that plays high frequency pink noise simultaneously through the front left speaker and sub and then it changes to low frequency pink noise and there's where i get a big jump unless i turn the sub all the way down, also theres one that uses (subwoofer phase filtered pink noise, LF) and that plays simultaneously through the front left and sub and they say is supposed to be used to make sure your sub is in phase by flipping the phase switch while its playing, then there's low frequency pink noise 5 channel pan and 6 channel pan, its actually a really good dvd, with a lot of test tones but i think the only one that says specifically filtered pink noise is the phase checker, but i bet i could find a download for some with a quick google search
post #7 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I got my tones and some pink noise from Wavtones com but it doesnt specify that its filtered though
post #8 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Ok i see what you mean, i found a filtered pink noise download from realtraps com think i could give it a try now or wait till i get the sound card to run it through REW??
post #9 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 09:52 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Working with tones like sine waves can be tricky. Your main front speakers could have a peak right at 80 Hz that gives a much higher reading than you see with pink noise. It sounds like you have only an SPL meter to work with, so you cannot see the individual frequency peaks/dips and their contribution to frequency response.

Assuming you have a computer you can use for analysis, download and start up Room EQ Wizard to use as a filtered pink noise source. Select Generator, Speaker Cal to check your Speaker level. Then choose Sub Cal and set your sub level to match. With only an SPL meter to work with, that should give you a decent setting. You might hear boominess at individual frequencies, but that should not be a problem with most music/movies. To go beyond this level of tuning, your would need a calibrated mic/audio interface setup working with Room EQ Wizard. Then you could perform spectrum analysis and see what is happening with extremely narrow frequency resolution. Of course that takes you to the next step of implementing equalization to make corrections, and at this point we have opened up Pandora's Box of possibilities and ways to spend money. Unless you have money and time to dedicate, do the calibration as mentioned above and call it good,.
How can you user spl meter with REW and have no mic?
post #10 of 33 Old 03-23-13, 10:10 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I see their broadband file, not a filtered one.

It is something you could use now along with your SPL meter to balance your sub with the rest of your system. To get good results, you need two separate files, and each needs to be the same number of octaves wide, within the band of the speaker it is used for. Then they will contain equivalent energy and will help you balance your system.

A 30 Hz to 80 Hz filtered noise band is 1.4 octaves wide. A 500 Hz to 1.333 KHz noise band is also 1.4 octaves wide. Set your main speakers (sub turned off) using the higher band, to 80 db SPL, then (with the mains turned off) set the sub level to 80 db. Then your subs and mains should be fairly well balanced. Short of doing detailed analysis with REW, this will get you started.

Let me know if you need those files created and uploaded, I can do it later today.