Is the RS meter "good enough"? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

My System
Is the RS meter "good enough"?

I'm getting back into REW after quite some time not fiddling with my system. The no of mics available seems to have exploded somewhat in the intervening time so I'm left wondering whether the RS meter can still be considered "good enough" for home use? i.e. subwoofer eq (currently BFD but likely moving to an inuke based system soon) & time alignment of mains/sub.

Alternatively what is the current recommended minimum/simple setup for this use (with subs that extend <15Hz)? I have no use for a mic apart from this & prices for mic/preamp in the UK seem to be rather more expensive than US prices.

I suspect this Q has been asked before but I can't find a clear answer in the many other threads around the subject.

Cheers
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 08:37 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Is the RS meter "good enough"?

The RS meters are pretty good for work between 100 hz and 3 Khz. There is a generic calibration file (LF correction only) on our downloads page that makes their accuracy better at lower frequencies, but the correction amount is around 40 db at 10 hz so real accuracy there would be suspect without individual calibration.

If you have have HDMI output from your computer for REW use, a USB mic (miniDSP UMIK-1 or Dayton UMM-6) is an easy way to get up and running. For calibrated accuracy below 20 hz, you will need one from Cross-Spectrum Labs, they calibrate down to 5 hz. If you are using analog out from your computer, you will need an analog mic (Cross-Spectrum Labs) and a calibratable sound card (see our database) for good LF accuracy.

Edit: If you just want to see that your LF response is "fairly smooth" down there, and are not really concerned about absolute accuracy, the RS meter with our generic calibration file will give you a good general picture.

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 03-26-13 at 08:45 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 08:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

If all your using the Radio Shack meter for is to take readings of the sub yes its good enough, if you want to get full range readings then you will need to move up to at least the Galaxy CM140 or even better a calibrated ECM8000

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 10:12 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
If all your using the Radio Shack meter for is to take readings of the sub yes its good enough, if you want to get full range readings then you will need to move up to at least the Galaxy CM140 or even better a calibrated ECM8000
I would like to build on the the OP's question. I am in the middle of learning the REW tool, have an RS SPL meter \ Behringer UCA222 \ Laptop setup and am 'making measurements' moving speakers around. I do want to get full range measures to support more ROOM tuning and am looking for how best to do that.

-- The mics you list above seem to use XLR connections but the UCA 222 uses RCA. Can I use an adapter to go 'down' to an RCA for my UCA222 DAC?

Or more directly, what MIC options would work best with the UCA222? I also will use this mic only for this purpose - measuring and optimizing my theater and 2 channel rooms.

TIA
post #5 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 10:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The issue is that you need a calibration file for the mic your using. The ECM 6000 and 8000 are the only stand alone mic's that have these available (you can make files for other mic's but you need the detailed specifications for the mic). The Galaxy CM140 is a SPL meter thats better than the RS meter but its still only good up to 12k at best.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #6 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 10:33 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The issue is that you need a calibration file for the mic your using. The ECM 6000 and 8000 are the only stand alone mic's that have these available (you can make files for other mic's but you need the detailed specifications for the mic). The Galaxy CM140 is a SPL meter thats better than the RS meter but its still only good up to 12k at best.
Thank you. Sounds like with an ECM8000 (~$60) and an XLR to RCA adapter, I am good to go! That is clear.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 10:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You will need a phantom power supply to use the 8000 as well.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #8 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 12:55 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Macattack wrote: View Post
Thank you. Sounds like with an ECM8000 (~$60) and an XLR to RCA adapter, I am good to go! That is clear.
Placing my order on Amazon ---- Quick question. Which XLR to RCA adapter do I need from the ECM8000 XLR output to my UCA222 RCA input?

FEMALE to RCA or MALE to RCA?
post #9 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 01:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You first need to have a phantom power supply for the mic. You cant just "convert" the XLR to rca without a proper transformer. You are essentially going form Balanced to unbalanced.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #10 of 16 Old 03-26-13, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Hold that order...

The UCA222 is not a mic preamp. You need a mic preamp. A preamp will accept the XLR and will supply phantom power. And lots of gain. The UCA222 will not work with a mic input directly.