Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 10:28 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System
Re: Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output

I'll need the full model name of your laptop to find your manual online.

7.1 System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 11:37 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Based only on the i7 reference I found this. It may be it.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...09_E8619_A.pdf

Read through the section starting on page 76 "The Power On Self Test (POST)" COMPLETELY, first. You need to understand this.

If this looks right (and only if it looks right) you'll need to do the following:

*! Warning: Messing Around With The BIOS Aimlessly Can Render Your Computer Useless !*

If, during the following process, anything looks off press "ESC" to exit.

During POST press "F2" to enter the Bios Management.
Use the right/left arrow keys to highlight "Security" Press Enter.
Arrow key down to highlight "I/O Security" Press Enter.
If HD AUDIO Security is showing "Lock" then you need to proceed. If "Unlock" then this is NOT the problem. Press "ESC" until you exit BIOS. Look elsewhere for an answer.
I Locked then ...
Arrow key down to highlight "HD AUDIO Security" Press Enter.
Arrow key up/down to highlight "Unlock"

Press "F10" and follow the instructions to Save and Exit.

Good Luck.

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

post #13 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 12:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Great info guys. Since winning the UMIK-1 last month I've only played around with REW once and did not have luck getting the multi channel audio to work. I'm hooked up through HDMI from my desktop to my AVR and it lists it properly but I'm not achieving the multi channel audio even when it displays it in the control panel for asio4all and in my computers soundcard control panel. I'll have to trouble shoot it a bit better I suppose

post #14 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 12:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
flamingeye wrote:
<<<<SNIP>>>>I'm PC illiterate how do you find out if the BIOS disabled the multi-channel and if the BIOS disabled the multi-channel capability what then ? is there a way to re-instate it ? I have a 2014 ASUS laptop with i7 and a realtek High definition audio with HDMI and I only see 2 channels ,<<<<SNIP>>>>
In your case ( with a new 2014 laptop still under a warranty ) I would seek help from the people who sold you the computer .

Telling them that you can't get multichannel audio to work for you ( & that's why you bought it ), should pique their interest .

post #15 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 12:32 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

thanks' I'll call them on Tuesday Monday I see my neurologist , here's the model# x550LA-DH71. O by the way that link of the manual is identical to the one I have .

Last edited by flamingeye; 03-16-14 at 12:37 PM.
post #16 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 01:46 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Let us know how the HDMI thing works out.

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

post #17 of 68 Old 03-16-14, 03:04 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

I will! I do not want to mess around with this laptop till I have a tech on the phone seeing that I have no tech skills with PCs and this is new anyways
post #18 of 68 Old 06-02-14, 05:47 AM
Shackster

My System

Thanks for posting this link. Trying to search all the posts here and other forums makes it look more difficult than it is-at least to get the basics down.

This will make getting started on REW much easier and less intimidating!

Very basic question, does it make a difference between a camera tri-pod or an inexpensive boom mic stand for the Umik-1? Which might be better for proper placement and will either interfere with the results? If boom mic stand is better, any suggestions?

Last edited by gbreda; 06-02-14 at 05:51 AM. Reason: eta
post #19 of 68 Old 06-02-14, 08:15 PM
Shackster
John

Easy to follow steps. Also found an You Tube video that walks the use through setting up a sub-woofer's room equalization using an SPL meter and REW. Very good as well.
post #20 of 68 Old 06-02-14, 08:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

why did I not find this when I was doing my testing this weekend lol...

I would SO love to do this so I can finally get an idea of how my system looks with Audyssey engaged and also see how my speakers look at my main LP individually rather than summed...