Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 68 Old 07-08-14, 05:34 PM
Spencer

Re: Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output

Just built an HTPC so now Im running my UMIK-1 with HDMI to my Onkyo 5508 processor.
I have installed the ASIO4all driver.

Couple questions:
When I select the individual output channels 1-8, I get a couple of them to be duplicates. In other words, output 6 and output 8 both signal to my rear right channel. I think it is because I am not using surrounds with surround backs. I am actually running a 9.2 system with front wides and front heights. I am thinking there is no way around this. No biggie as I dont think I'll ever want to measure the ambient seakers individually anyway. Thoughts?

Can I run sweeps with all channels driven or am I forced to run it one by one?

Can I run just the fronts?

Last edited by FoSheezy; 07-08-14 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 07-08-14, 08:01 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

You will always run sweeps one channel at a time. With a subwoofer, you may run left plus sub or right plus sub, etc. And multiple subs may be measured together. But mains and surrounds (if desired) must be run one at a time for meaningful data.
post #33 of 68 Old 08-05-14, 06:19 AM
Shackster

I just started playing with REW/Umik-1/HDMI and I am getting the random message that "the sound card is not outputting.." just going by memory so it may not be the exact wording. The message seems to come and go, not a big deal but I am concern if there is something wrong with the Mic. Is this a known issue or I am the only one getting it? I am using the latest beta version.

post #34 of 68 Old 09-10-14, 04:58 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
GCG wrote: View Post
Sometimes that is an issue with the multi-channel capabilities being disabled in the BIOS. Don't abandon hope till you rule that out.
GCG,
Two quick questions.
I see only two channels available in my windows setup, how would I disable that in the BIOS. I have my PC set u with HDMI out to the AUX1 input of my receiver. I see the PC background on my tv. I get no sound out of my speakers. I set up REW and the ASIO4ALL like the REW 101 setup guide has indicated.
I have the VIA HD Audio deck icon open in my tray, and it shows an HDMI connection. Should I disable that?
I also unplugged my mini speakers coming out of the back of the computer. I think that I am close, but got a little frustrated last night, and went to bed. The REW recognizes the Umik-1, and when I went to test the SPL for that with my SPL meter, I get nothing read in REW, as well as no sound. Any ideas. Should something be coming back into the PC? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Russ
post #35 of 68 Old 09-10-14, 10:12 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Quote:
lizrussspike wrote: View Post
GCG,
Two quick questions.
I see only two channels available in my windows setup, how would I disable that in the BIOS.
This still applies ...
Quote:
*! Warning: Messing Around With The BIOS Aimlessly Can Render Your Computer Useless !*

If, during the following process, anything looks off press "ESC" to exit.

During POST press "F2" to enter the Bios Management.
Use the right/left arrow keys to highlight "Security" Press Enter.
Arrow key down to highlight "I/O Security" Press Enter.
If HD AUDIO Security is showing "Lock" then you need to proceed. If "Unlock" then this is NOT the problem. Press "ESC" until you exit BIOS. Look elsewhere for an answer.
I Locked then ...
Arrow key down to highlight "HD AUDIO Security" Press Enter.
Arrow key up/down to highlight "Unlock"

Press "F10" and follow the instructions to Save and Exit.

Good Luck.
The portion under the warning was directed to a different individual probably with a different computer probably with a different BIOS. I would expect yours to be different. The process is, however, similar for most if not all. The key pressed during POST (Power On Self Test) to edit the BIOS varies and so does the navigation within the BIOS itself so take care. Just don't change anything unless you're sure about it and if in doubt EXIT WITHOUT SAVING. Consulting your manual should reveal the keystroke and 'some' nav info.

Quote:
I have my PC set u with HDMI out to the AUX1 input of my receiver. I see the PC background on my tv. I get no sound out of my speakers. I set up REW and the ASIO4ALL like the REW 101 setup guide has indicated.
I have the VIA HD Audio deck icon open in my tray, and it shows an HDMI connection. Should I disable that?
Probably not an issue.

Quote:
I also unplugged my mini speakers coming out of the back of the computer. I think that I am close, but got a little frustrated last night, and went to bed. The REW recognizes the Umik-1, and when I went to test the SPL for that with my SPL meter, I get nothing read in REW, as well as no sound. Any ideas. Should something be coming back into the PC? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Russ
I'd still check the BIOS first. If not yourself, take it to where you bought it and ask for help or get help from someone tech savvy. If multi-channel is disabled in BIOS all other efforts will be worthless. It was OFF in mine out of the box.

Shoot me the brand and model of the laptop and I'll look into it.

GCG

7.1 System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #36 of 68 Old 09-10-14, 10:27 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
This still applies ...

The portion under the warning was directed to a different individual probably with a different computer probably with a different BIOS. I would expect yours to be different. The process is, however, similar for most if not all. The key pressed during POST (Power On Self Test) to edit the BIOS varies and so does the navigation within the BIOS itself so take care. Just don't change anything unless you're sure about it and if in doubt EXIT WITHOUT SAVING. Consulting your manual should reveal the keystroke and 'some' nav info.

Probably not an issue.

I'd still check the BIOS first. If not yourself, take it to where you bought it and ask for help or get help from someone tech savvy. If multi-channel is disabled in BIOS all other efforts will be worthless. It was OFF in mine out of the box.

Shoot me the brand and model of the laptop and I'll look into it.

GCG
I have a desktop at home, but am at work now.( do not remember the make, but a friend put it together) I have the ASUS monitor hooked up HDMI via an DVI adapter. I have the other output of the computer with an HDMI into the receiver, not with DVI adapter, getting a picture but no sound. I will check the BIOS tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help.

How can I get the computer to recognize the Marantz under the playback options under sound?
post #37 of 68 Old 09-10-14, 02:00 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Quote:
I have a desktop at home, but am at work now.( do not remember the make, but a friend put it together)
Your friend should be able to help you with the BIOS version. It'll be based on the motherboard used. As stated before by others; there are some computer HDMI ports that don't have sound at all. In that case you'll have to fall back on another audio path (headphone/speaker out, sound card, etc.)

Quote:
I have the ASUS monitor hooked up HDMI via an DVI adapter. I have the other output of the computer with an HDMI into the receiver, not with DVI adapter, getting a picture but no sound. I will check the BIOS tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help.

How can I get the computer to recognize the Marantz under the playback options under sound?
If The HDMI/Multi-channel Audio/BIOS thing works out the problem should be solved.

Keep me in the loop.

GCG

7.1 System

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #38 of 68 Old 11-03-14, 12:17 PM
Shackster
Larry

I'm attempting room correction/bass management with REW, UML-1 from Cross - Spectrum, MIDI, and Soundflower over HDMI using MacAir. I have the latest downloads available for REW (5.1 Beta 23) and Soundflower. I've read the old posts and newest info I can find. However, I need help with Soundflower. Not understanding the directions for selecting channels.

Is it necessary to calibrate the REW SPL? This would require a separate SPL.

Have been trying to correct sound to compensate for a hearing problem for which I have found no help with so far. I believe REQ may be the solution, if I can put all the parts together!

Thank you for helping me with this.
post #39 of 68 Old 11-19-14, 04:10 AM
Shackster

Thanks a lot for this, will be useful when the Umik-1 arrives
post #40 of 68 Old 11-19-14, 09:09 AM
Shackster
Larry

Quote:
chappi4u wrote: View Post
I'm attempting room correction/bass management with REW, UML-1 from Cross - Spectrum, MIDI, and Soundflower over HDMI using MacAir. I have the latest downloads available for REW (5.1 Beta 23) and Soundflower. I've read the old posts and newest info I can find. However, I need help with Soundflower. Not understanding the directions for selecting channels.

Is it necessary to calibrate the REW SPL? This would require a separate SPL.

Have been trying to correct sound to compensate for a hearing problem for which I have found no help with so far. I believe REQ may be the solution, if I can put all the parts together!

Thank you for helping me with this.
Since no one has offered any helpful suggestions, I'm going to try purchasing the NanoAVR-HD. Has to be better than trying to find answers for all the separate parts, we'll see!