ecm8000 high freq problems - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kerazul

ecm8000 high freq problems

just got my ecm8000 and xenyx802 yesterday.. plugged it in to my x-fi and started messing with it a bit, as it turns out it wont pick up treble frequncies very well. i even tried recording from right in front of the tweeter and it sounded like someone had turned the treble way down. am i doing something wrong here? i tried calibrating according to the measurements i was getting and the treble was like a drill in my head

Last edited by Kerazul; 11-28-07 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 12:38 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: ecm8000 high freq problems

Quote:
it sounded like someone had turned the treble way down. am i doing something wrong here?
You have probably forgotten that the XENYX802 is also a graphic equalizer and you haven't zero'd the low, mid, high dials to their detent positions...

Follow the dial positions in the pic below.....

ecm8000 high freq problems-preamp.jpg

brucek
post #3 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kerazul

they are all at 0.. i have taken a measurement but i'm trying to figure out how to post it :P

Last edited by Kerazul; 11-28-07 at 07:19 PM.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kerazul

i was looking at it.. the cable i'm using to go to the computer is coiled (like a telephone cable), could that be making a difference?
post #5 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kerazul

i have tried recording a source from the cd/tape inputs to the computer, so it's not the wire or the computer causing the problem
post #6 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 03:34 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
i have taken a measurement but i'm trying to figure out how to post it
The floppy icon in the lower left corner of the REW graph is a SAVE button. Set the size at 800.

Set REW vertical axis from 45dB-105dB. For full range measurements turn on the smoothing feature..

If you want to test the response of the preamp to see if it has a problem, include it in a loopback cable from line-out to line-in of the soundcard...... Actually you should do that anyway and take a soundcard cal with the preamp in the loop..

brucek
post #7 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kerazul

okay, have taken the measurements with settings as specified...

(image removed)

by the way, thanks for hearing me out and offering assistance.. this is really bumming me out (wasnt free!)

Last edited by Kerazul; 12-01-07 at 07:53 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 06:03 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

For sure the response is dropping off rapidly. You need to establish whether its the ECM or the preamp.

As I mentioned before, you'll have to first measure a cable looped between line-in and line-out of your soundcard (and it should return a perfect flat response of course). Then insert the preamp in that loop using the line-in and line-out of the preamp (as shown below)....

ecm8000 high freq problems-ub802loop.jpg

It will have a very good response that will look like this. The red line is the cable and the green line is the preamp....

ecm8000 high freq problems-ub802loop_response.jpg

brucek
post #9 of 17 Old 11-28-07, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kerazul

i'll give that test a try when i get enough energy to get the cable together... (you know you're an audiophile when you're still doing this stuff with an abscess!)

i'm beginning to think the error might actually be in myself.. unfortunately i dont have any reference speakers to test on, and it's kind of suspicious that the dropoff showing there is around the same as my crossover frequency. i've been listening to it like that for a long time (calibrated best i could with the radio shack meter) it's hard to tell where the fault is. maybe once i design my next set of speakers i'll have a better picture of what's going on.

thanks again for all the insight and the great resources on this site!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-29-07, 12:24 AM
Senior Shackster
John

Just a guess (dip at your x over freq)... is your sub close to your left or right channel? It might be a phase problem. Change the phase on your sub to 180 if it's @ 0 and 0 if it's @ 180. I have a nasty dip exactly (well almost) where yours is and flipping the switch that controls the phase on my sub removed the dip.

good luck
-john

Last edited by fibreKid; 11-29-07 at 12:26 AM. Reason: clarification