Macbook running Vista--Soundcard? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-07, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Phil

Question Macbook running Vista--Soundcard?

Hey Shacksters,

I've got a Macbook (bought this summer--has 2.16ghz core 2 duo with 2 gig ram) and I'm running bootcamp in the Leopard OS for Vista.

It's pretty cool being able to use the machine for the best of both worlds & now I'm wondering what I need to make this REW-ready.

Last time I used REW it was with my HTPC and BruceK was totally helpful--he was way patient with me, I tell you!

1. Will REW work with Vista OS?

2. Does my Mac's SigmaTel High Definition Audio (in-board) card have the needed tech to work with the RS SPL meter? It has a "mic" input (the standard 1/8" plug next to the headphone jack). It also says it is an SPDIF input and calls it a "left panel optical jack" (though that must just be a naming game since there's no real "optical" as in fiber-optic jack on the side).

I was browsing in the control panel to look at the sound card properties and noticed it has the ability to do room correction?! Is that just a software function of Vista, or is it detecting the SigmaTel soundcard capabilities?

BTW, I have a BFD 1124 and am anxious to recalibrate since I've just added a new Yamaha 1800 avr and Sherbourn 5x200w amp! My previous avr could only x-over the sub at 90hz and with my mains that easily go into the 30hz range and my pb12+/2, I'm dying to x-over around 60hz!

Thanks for any help here,
Phil

Dali Mentor 8's/Mentor Vokal/Euphonia Phantom 5.1; Seaton Sound SubMersive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
Planar 7060 until JVC gets lasers figured out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-07, 03:03 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: Macbook running Vista--Soundcard?

Quote:
1. Will REW work with Vista OS?
Yeah, REW works with VISTA, but I understand the audio mixer access is a bit fussy, but members have reported success.

Quote:
2. Does my Mac's SigmaTel High Definition Audio (in-board) card have the needed tech to work with the RS SPL meter? It has a "mic" input (the standard 1/8" plug next to the headphone jack). It also says it is an SPDIF input
You require a line-in connection (that most laptops simply don't offer). The solution everyone uses is an inexpensive external USB soundcard with standard line-in and line-out...... mic-in in is not suitable (nor is digital)....

brucek
post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-07, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Phil

Re: Macbook running Vista--Soundcard?

Big thanks, BruceK!

So, what's the most reasonable, but effective outboard soundcard? Any ideas of where to get it from?

Thanks again,
Phil

Dali Mentor 8's/Mentor Vokal/Euphonia Phantom 5.1; Seaton Sound SubMersive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
Planar 7060 until JVC gets lasers figured out...