Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   SPL Meters | Mic's | Calibration | Sound Cards (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mic-s-calibration-sound-cards/)
-   -   Need a better mic stand!! (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mic-s-calibration-sound-cards/165729-need-better-mic-stand.html)

Lumen 02-24-17 11:34 AM

Need a better mic stand!!

Hi everyone!

My mic stand busted at its 360-degree swivel joint (in the horizontal plane), which is threaded but won't seem to screw back on. I have to basically push it down so that it snaps into place, only to have it snap back out again after only a few swivels. Sorry, I don't remember the brand, but it was only around $25.

Is this a case of you get what you pay for? I don't mind spending more for quality, so please help me choose a decent boom stand. I say "boom" because it's difficult to maneuver the stand in the small space I call my HT. I would like to be able to keep the stand on one side of the LP and move the mic through all room-correction measurement points. I think a 3-foot boom should do it. I'd also like for the stand not to fall over when fully extended, though I think it helps to have one of the tripod's feet under the boom to help support it in those situations.

TIA :bigsmile:

AudiocRaver 02-24-17 11:51 AM

Re: Need a better mic stand!!

Try DR Pro

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 02-24-17 04:43 PM

Since you’re in a major city, try scoring a used one from Craigslist’s “Musical Instruments” section. Or you might check Guitar Center or other pro audio shop for a replacement boom arm.

Regards,
Wayne

Lumen 02-24-17 07:55 PM

And on that note:
A penny saved is a penny earned!

Tonto 02-24-17 08:09 PM

I went with the DR Pro, very sturdy & priced right. Got it at Guitar Center on sale!

Lumen 02-24-17 09:24 PM

Quote:

AudiocRaver wrote: (Post 1557257)
Try DR Pro

Quote:

Tonto wrote: (Post 1557689)
I went with the DR Pro, very sturdy & priced right. Got it at Guitar Center on sale!

(sigh)... maybe someday.
The GC I visited was out-of-stock, and I need one this weekend, so I got a mid-market Pro Line MS220BK with a 3 year warranty.

Lumen 02-24-17 10:20 PM

Forgot to add a thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 02-25-17 04:04 AM

Too late I see, but I was going to suggest that if Guitar Center didn’t have any replacement booms, you can find them on line at Sweetwater, ZZ Sounds or Musician’s Friend. You might want to return the stand you bought and go that route anyway. It has lots of bad reviews on Guitar Center’s web site. Either that or wait until your local GC has the DR Pro in stock. After all, you did say you wanted a "better" mic stand... :)

Regards,
Wayne

Lumen 02-25-17 06:05 AM

Quote:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: (Post 1557842)
Too late I see, but I was going to suggest that if Guitar Center didnít have any replacement booms, you can find them on line at Sweetwater, ZZ Sounds or Musicianís Friend. You might want to return the stand you bought and go that route anyway. It has lots of bad reviews on Guitar Centerís web site. Either that or wait until your local GC has the DR Pro in stock. After all, you did say you wanted a "better" mic stand... :)

Regards,
Wayne

:gulp: So that's why I didn't sleep well last night.
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll check with another branch across town when they open later today. Hopefully, I can exchange it there instead of having to return to the original branch.

culliganman 02-25-17 09:37 AM

I have this one. It has held up well.
https://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-...+Stands+MS7701