Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   SPL Meters | Mic's | Calibration | Sound Cards (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mic-s-calibration-sound-cards/)
-   -   Galaxy CM-140 Calibration File Info Thread (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mic-s-calibration-sound-cards/3831-galaxy-cm-140-calibration-file-info-thread.html)

Sonnie 03-09-07 07:03 PM

Galaxy CM-140 Calibration File Info Thread

I stated that I would provide a calibration file for the CM-140 and I plan on doing just that. However, it may be a couple of weeks before I actually post it. Some of you will no doubt ask why. There are a couple of reasons for this that I will explain below.

First of all, I am having my ECM8000 re-calibrated at West Caldwell Calibration Lab. These guys are the real deal. The cost for calibration is $150. I could provide you with a calibration file today, but once my mic has been re-calibrated, the .cal file may be slightly different than it is now. While more than likely it will be very close, I prefer to make absolutely sure and not be releasing a .cal file today and then in two weeks be releasing another .cal file telling you the first one is no good.

Secondly and most assuredly something that will excite several of you... my ECM8000 is going to be calibrated down to at least 5Hz. Once it is returned, I will hopefully be able to provide you with a calibration file to 5Hz or lower for the CM-140.

In the meantime you can use the CM-140 as is and be fairly close.

Once the .cal file is ready... it will be available for download on the Downloads page.

brucek 03-09-07 07:32 PM

Re: Galaxy CM-140 Calibration File Info Thread

Quote:

In the meantime you can use the CM-140 as is and be fairly close.
By checking the C-Weight box in REW of course....... :)

brucek

Ilkka 03-09-07 07:44 PM

Quote:

brucek wrote: (Post 29127)
By checking the C-Weight box in REW of course....... :)

brucek

Well actually...it was ~7 dB high @ 10 Hz with the C-weighting checked, and ~7 dB low without it. Pick your poison. :surrender:

Sonnie 03-09-07 07:49 PM

You could use the ECM8000 .cal file with no C-Weighting and be almost there.

ecm8000.cal

Ilkka 03-09-07 07:53 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 29129)
You could use the ECM8000 .cal file with no C-Weighting and be almost there.

ecm8000.cal

True. Assuming your current calibration for the ECM8k is accurate, you'd be less than 2 dB off @ 10 Hz which is more than enough accurate for most in-room measurements.

Sonnie 03-09-07 08:01 PM

Quote:

Assuming your current calibration for the ECM8k is accurate
Yeah... I hope it is because we've been using it for quite a while to calibrate against. I think Kim does a good job from what I've been told... and if you remember yours and my mic are almost spot on. But we will know for sure here pretty soon... either way.

Ilkka 03-09-07 08:15 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 29133)
Yeah... I hope it is because we've been using it for quite a while to calibrate against. I think Kim does a good job from what I've been told...

I don't doubt that at all.

Quote:

and if you remember yours and my mic are almost spot on. But we will know for sure here pretty soon... either way.
My mic? I've never had an ECM8000. My mic is recommended by the ETF Acoustics and it's only ~0.6 dB off at 10 Hz without a calibration file. :bigsmile:

Sonnie 03-09-07 08:29 PM

Exactly... but when we both provided calibration files for one of the RS meters a while back... you might remember we were spot on, except at one frequency I believe. This would indicate that mine must be pretty accurate.

Geoff Gunnell 03-10-07 01:32 AM

Thanks for taking your time and money to re-reference your mic to a physical standard before calibrating others' equipment from it, Sonnie. It's the right thing to do. It's also kind of an honor, I think, to transfer a standard of measurement. We know in advance that we cannot get it exactly right, but we have the courage to try anyway :)

tweakophyte 03-10-07 09:29 AM

Hi-

Yes, thanks for spending the extra bucks to make sure your mic is "perfect" so our mics will be. :) I'm glad I got in on the buy. It's laying the groundwork for my next investment into my HT, too. :D