Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   SPL Meters | Mic's | Calibration | Sound Cards (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mic-s-calibration-sound-cards/)
-   -   Is the RS meter "good enough"? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mic-s-calibration-sound-cards/66555-rs-meter-good-enough.html)

3ll3d00d 03-26-13 05:53 AM

Is the RS meter "good enough"?

I'm getting back into REW after quite some time not fiddling with my system. The no of mics available seems to have exploded somewhat in the intervening time so I'm left wondering whether the RS meter can still be considered "good enough" for home use? i.e. subwoofer eq (currently BFD but likely moving to an inuke based system soon) & time alignment of mains/sub.

Alternatively what is the current recommended minimum/simple setup for this use (with subs that extend <15Hz)? I have no use for a mic apart from this & prices for mic/preamp in the UK seem to be rather more expensive than US prices.

I suspect this Q has been asked before but I can't find a clear answer in the many other threads around the subject.

Cheers
Matt

AudiocRaver 03-26-13 08:37 AM

Re: Is the RS meter "good enough"?

291 Attachment(s)
The RS meters are pretty good for work between 100 hz and 3 Khz. There is a generic calibration file (LF correction only) on our downloads page that makes their accuracy better at lower frequencies, but the correction amount is around 40 db at 10 hz so real accuracy there would be suspect without individual calibration.

If you have have HDMI output from your computer for REW use, a USB mic (miniDSP UMIK-1 or Dayton UMM-6) is an easy way to get up and running. For calibrated accuracy below 20 hz, you will need one from Cross-Spectrum Labs, they calibrate down to 5 hz. If you are using analog out from your computer, you will need an analog mic (Cross-Spectrum Labs) and a calibratable sound card (see our database) for good LF accuracy.

Edit: If you just want to see that your LF response is "fairly smooth" down there, and are not really concerned about absolute accuracy, the RS meter with our generic calibration file will give you a good general picture.

tonyvdb 03-26-13 08:38 AM

If all your using the Radio Shack meter for is to take readings of the sub yes its good enough, if you want to get full range readings then you will need to move up to at least the Galaxy CM140 or even better a calibrated ECM8000

Macattack 03-26-13 10:12 AM

Quote:

tonyvdb wrote: (Post 601439)
If all your using the Radio Shack meter for is to take readings of the sub yes its good enough, if you want to get full range readings then you will need to move up to at least the Galaxy CM140 or even better a calibrated ECM8000

I would like to build on the the OP's question. I am in the middle of learning the REW tool, have an RS SPL meter \ Behringer UCA222 \ Laptop setup and am 'making measurements' moving speakers around. I do want to get full range measures to support more ROOM tuning and am looking for how best to do that.

-- The mics you list above seem to use XLR connections but the UCA 222 uses RCA. Can I use an adapter to go 'down' to an RCA for my UCA222 DAC?

Or more directly, what MIC options would work best with the UCA222? I also will use this mic only for this purpose - measuring and optimizing my theater and 2 channel rooms.

TIA

tonyvdb 03-26-13 10:29 AM

The issue is that you need a calibration file for the mic your using. The ECM 6000 and 8000 are the only stand alone mic's that have these available (you can make files for other mic's but you need the detailed specifications for the mic). The Galaxy CM140 is a SPL meter thats better than the RS meter but its still only good up to 12k at best.

Macattack 03-26-13 10:33 AM

Quote:

tonyvdb wrote: (Post 601456)
The issue is that you need a calibration file for the mic your using. The ECM 6000 and 8000 are the only stand alone mic's that have these available (you can make files for other mic's but you need the detailed specifications for the mic). The Galaxy CM140 is a SPL meter thats better than the RS meter but its still only good up to 12k at best.

Thank you. Sounds like with an ECM8000 (~$60) and an XLR to RCA adapter, I am good to go! That is clear.

tonyvdb 03-26-13 10:34 AM

You will need a phantom power supply to use the 8000 as well.

Macattack 03-26-13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Macattack wrote: (Post 601457)
Thank you. Sounds like with an ECM8000 (~$60) and an XLR to RCA adapter, I am good to go! That is clear.

Placing my order on Amazon ---- Quick question. Which XLR to RCA adapter do I need from the ECM8000 XLR output to my UCA222 RCA input?

FEMALE to RCA or MALE to RCA?

tonyvdb 03-26-13 01:22 PM

You first need to have a phantom power supply for the mic. You cant just "convert" the XLR to rca without a proper transformer. You are essentially going form Balanced to unbalanced.

AudiocRaver 03-26-13 01:24 PM

291 Attachment(s)
Hold that order...

The UCA222 is not a mic preamp. You need a mic preamp. A preamp will accept the XLR and will supply phantom power. And lots of gain. The UCA222 will not work with a mic input directly.