Ultimax 18 ported amp help - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 01-06-15, 05:56 AM
Shackster

Re: Ultimax 18 ported amp help

Hey mikmaz

I have the same problem living in Cairns, I got my Dayton sa1000 from "The Loud Speaker Kit", it is a good amp, looks good, heavy and well made. I like the blue light on the power button, different from red.

I will be ordering a um 18-22 ultimax from parts express when they get some in stock. It is cheaper to buy from us and pay the $200 postage then it is to get it posted to cairns from Melbourne. Might be worth checking out.

Working on the box design at 20hz at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 01-06-15, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Hi Graeme

I have just ordered a um18 from loudspeaker kit. I like to support small australian businesses like the loudspeaker kit. We don't have many choices here in australia and I wouldn't like to imagine the price to ship it back to parts express if for instance it arrived damaged or doa.

I'll let you know how long it takes to get it in. Was told it shouldn't be more than about 2 weeks. I'm in no hurry anyway, still trying to choose an amp as the dayton won't suit me very we'll.

I plan for a 15hz tune. I also think the um 18 can take a lot of power. I think an inuke 3000dsp bridged so I can set limiters and eq the in room response.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-06-15, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I modeled the um18 in winisd and I was confused but it showed me it was capable of 117db at 15hz. Let me know what you get when you model yours at 20hz. Excursion was only at about 18mm. That's what makes me think I could use up to about 1500rms. But i am very new at this diy and I could be wrong.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-07-15, 07:47 PM
Shackster
Eric

Re: Ultimax 18 ported amp help

I have the 18" Ultimax and I am using the Dayton Audio SPA1000 plate amp. This thing is a beast and sounds amazing.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-13-15, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Good to hear
What volume do you listen at? What size room do you have?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-14-15, 05:47 AM
Shackster
Eric

My room is a dedicated home theater room at14.5 ft by 14 ft with 9 ft ceilings. Not ideal but that's what the wife let me have. I listen at reference level volume. I plan on getting another one in the near future to replace my 10 inch velodyne. Not that I need two but that means twice the awesomeness. I am currently working on a way to decouple my projector from my ceiling because at 40 Hz my ceiling vibrates violently with this sub. When I built this room I already decoupled the ceiling using resilient channel but decoupling has little affect on low frequencies.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-14-15, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Wow that's gotta be loud in that space. I don't have a dedicated theatre yet. I'm jealous. I'm a lucky to have what I have. My wife doesn't share my same love for big wood boxes. In my lounge room I have a pb12plus side firing into my couch and the ultimax will sit corner loaded. Took me 6months to get the ok.

It will be my last speaker of any sort till I get my own space.

Have you tried some eq? Do you have a peak at 40hz?

Then when u get your second ultimax you can blow the roof right off!