New sub amp - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 06-23-15, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

New sub amp

Hi, I'm trying to plan my next build and would like to know some opinions.

I want to use 4 ultimax 18's. I'm not sure if ported or sealed yet.

Trying to find an amp seems harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-23-15, 04:36 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: New sub amp

What kind of room is this going into? Dimensions? Suspended floor or concrete slab?

And also what is your budget?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-23-15, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Suspended floor, 4000cft. Double brick walls

post #4 of 17 Old 06-23-15, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Budget is not set yet. I just want to get the right amp for the job. But I am still cheap so keep that in mind.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-23-15, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I also have balanced minidsp 2x4 for dsp duties already. So I don't need eq in the amp.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-23-15, 05:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Inuke 6K will be your best value.

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-24-15, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

4 ultimaxs can be wired together to 4ohm. Or 2 ultimaxs wired together for either 2 or 8 ohm. I didn't think the inuke 6k could handle 2 ohm load. And it wouldn't have enough output in 8 ohm load.

I was thinking prolly the nu12000. 2 drivers wired together for 2 ohm load on each channel.

Or 2 nu4/6000. Each channel running 2ohm to each voice coil.

Do these things run well in 2ohm?
post #8 of 17 Old 06-24-15, 02:08 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Sorry I didnt know what drivers you had. So a Inuke 12000 would be an option or NU4 is the other option. So many variables in selecting a bass amp. I have been through many and I always end up spending way more money than if I would have spent the extra coin and bought the "expensive." one.

So simulate your drivers in whatever configuration and see what you need have excursion hit Xmax. Then see what amount of power you will need.

Some may be happy with RMS or -3db RMS capable amp. Lots of variables.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-24-15, 04:58 AM
Senior Shackster

From what I have read I would not go with a nu12000 it seems there have been some issues another thing to consider what amperage is the amp going to need. In the case of the 12000 it requires a 30a circuit and depending on your set-up you may or may not want a 30a outlet. My set-up is in the living room I did not want to go that route. I am going to get either an IPR2 7500 or a Crest Pro lite 7.5, either of these will run at 2 ohms stereo all day long provided of course you are not maxing the amp for hours on end.( I will be using the amp to drive 2 SI HST18D1's. ) I am also on the cheap side so money is also an issue. If you call and look around the IPR2 7500 can be had for under 700 the DSP for under 800. I am sure there are better amps to be had but being on a budget kind of limits the options. What sold me on the amps I called Peavey support they stand by their product and offer a 5 yr. warranty. I also have a nu3000DSP it is currently being used to drive my 2 HT18D4's for what its worth its a great amp for the money however if you have a problem try getting in touch with somebody at Behringer. I called left messages I e-mailed it took almost a month before someone responded and by that time I figured out the issue.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-24-15, 11:59 AM
Shackster

I love my Crown XLS1000 for my HT sub duties, I know this isn't enough power for you but I would look into Crown as they have an outstanding 3 year warranty. I've read about mobile DJ's accidently dropping these in pools and Crown will still fix them within the warranty period. Plus I have options with this two channel amp as it runs down to 2ohm stereo and 4ohm mono with over 1000w rms. It doesn't get warm or loud that I can tell and I have it right under my TV in a cabinet and never have heard fans kick on.