Fanless Amplifier for my IB Sub - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 01-11-16, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Fanless Amplifier for my IB Sub

My Carvin HD1800 croaked. There's a loud hum. I think it means that something came unsoldered.

I'd like to replace it. It lived in the closet because of the fan noise, and I'd rather have one without a fan.

Here's my existing configuration. The IB sub has four 18" drivers. Each driver is a nominal 8 ohms, and they are arranged to present a single 8 ohm load. The Carvin is spec'ed to deliver 1200W RMS continuous into 8 ohms.

The Sub
Fanless Amplifier for my IB Sub-img_1024.jpg

The channel level control on the Carvin was set to -17dB. In theory, I'm only using 14% of the available power. Does this mean that I only need 170W plus plenty of headroom? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am looking at the Behringer Reference Amplifier A500. It is spec'ed to deliver 375W RMS into 8 ohms / 1 kHz @ 1% THD. $199. No fan.

Please share your thoughts. Any better suggestions?

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-11-16, 02:42 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Fanless Amplifier for my IB Sub

Quote:
Ayreonaut wrote: View Post
Here's my existing configuration. The IB sub has four 18" drivers. Each driver is a nominal 8 ohms, and they are arranged to present a single 8 ohm load. The Carvin is spec'ed to deliver 1200W RMS continuous into 8 ohms.

The channel level control on the Carvin was set to -17dB. In theory, I'm only using 14% of the available power. Does this mean that I only need 170W plus plenty of headroom? Correct me if I'm wrong.
If power delivery and gain adjustments were 100% linear you could probably make that statement, but neither of those really are so you can't actually correlate it that manner. And for dynamic swings in the source material you want/need additional amplification, so some 'extra' is always a good idea.

Quote:
I am looking at the Behringer Reference Amplifier A500. It is spec'ed to deliver 375W RMS into 8 ohms / 1 kHz @ 1% THD. $199. No fan.
Do they list the THD in-band for your application (which I assume is 100Hz on down)? Reason I ask is most people construct an IB because they favor high quality sound, but using a low-end amp with 1% THD runs counter to that ideal. You may end up diminishing the experience if you go that route.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 16 Old 01-11-16, 06:07 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

There are several models of old BGW amps that are fanless. You won't get the kind of power output the Carver was delivering, but they're clean and built like tanks.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-11-16, 07:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

As J-Man mentioned, the gain setting has no bearing on the power output. It’s a combination of that plus the level of the input signal. If your gain setting was really low it could indeed mean that you weren’t using much of the amp’s capabilities, but it could just as easily mean you were feeding it a really hot signal.

Might take a look at Carvin’s DCM-xxxxL series amplifiers. I’ve been using one for a number of years with no issues. It does have a fan, but it’s quiet enough that I can’t hear it at my listening position ~12 ft. away.

Quote:
The specs aren’t as good as you might think. Carvin rates their amps broadband 20Hz – 20 kHz, while the A500’s power output is only given at 1 kHz. You can be certain that Carvin’s DCM2000L’s 325 watts @ 8-ohms will get more output that Behringer’s 375 watts.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #5 of 16 Old 01-12-16, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

I don;t really want to do Carvin again since mine just died.

What do you think of this one?

Alesis RA500
  • Rated output: 8 ohms, bridged mono mode - 500 watts RMS
  • Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 105dB, 22Hz-22kHz bandwidth referenced to rated output
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz 70kHz +0, -3dB
  • Damping Factor: 200
  • Slew Rate: 120 V/μs (bridged mono)
  • Input Sensitivity: +4dBu (1.23 V) for rated output with input control at maximum

post #6 of 16 Old 01-12-16, 10:57 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

To me that seems like a better option than the Behringer. Very solid spec's for the price.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 16 Old 01-12-16, 01:05 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
So you were running the Carvin bridged?

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #8 of 16 Old 01-12-16, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
So you were running the Carvin bridged?
Yes, I enabled bridging and ran a single cable from the amp to the woofers.

The four woofers are arranged in series/parallel, like this:

Last edited by Ayreonaut; 01-12-16 at 03:39 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-12-16, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Any model numbers to look for?

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
There are several models of old BGW amps that are fanless. You won't get the kind of power output the Carver was delivering, but they're clean and built like tanks.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-12-16, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
If power delivery and gain adjustments were 100% linear you could probably make that statement, but neither of those really are so you can't actually correlate it that manner. And for dynamic swings in the source material you want/need additional amplification, so some 'extra' is always a good idea.
Yeah, I started thinking about that some more after I wrote it. Running with the amp gain set to -0dB would probably not correspond to the maximum possible continuous output on some "demanding" program material.