master list of hardcore'ish amps? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 02-11-16, 08:06 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: master list of hardcore'ish amps?

He said 35' not 35".

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 02-11-16, 10:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Cerwin vega cv5000
post #13 of 30 Old 02-12-16, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
He said 35' not 35".
Indeed. I'm also running like a 2 ohm load. DC impedance is actually 1 ohm but pretty much everything above 10 hz will be 2 ohms or more. Big difference in that and an 8 ohm load, your loss due to cabling pretty much quadruples when you cut the impedance down by a factor of 4. Even then though, it's like half a db. Some people would freak out over that and some would shrug their shoulders.

Talked to Seaton for awhile last night and got something worked out with him, should have a Speakerpower in 1-1.5 weeks. At this point they're the only ones I trust.

post #14 of 30 Old 02-12-16, 06:02 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

How did you kill that Crown XLS?

Ashly, Crest, Crown, Yamaha, QSC, BGW... they all make rock-solid amps. But you can kill any one of them if you're asking for too much too often.

If you want to be well within the limits of the amp, and not under- or over-power the subs, I'd say get an amp that will dump 2KW into a 4-ohm bridge. And get one for each sub. Even if the program material mandates a huge peak, the amplifier will deliver it unclipped and the sub will respond. I've followed the "Speaker Peak = Amp RMS" rule for a long time, and I haven't lost any gear yet (except to operators that turn the volume up after I tell them the red lights are bad). As long as you're within the limits of the speaker, the amp will die of old age.

The only reasons I've ever replaced an amp were water damage, foreign object penetration, and spontaneous gravitational anomalies. All the other issues were PLBKAC. I've also been using Crown amps in nasty environments for over a decade.
post #15 of 30 Old 02-12-16, 06:06 PM
Shackster

"Spontaneous gravitational anomalies"

I am rolling, that is great. Rof
post #16 of 30 Old 02-12-16, 06:09 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
bcarver0267 wrote: View Post
"Spontaneous gravitational anomalies"

I am rolling, that is great. Rof
I work with a high school marching band. They have a disproportionally finnicky gravitational field.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-12-16, 06:11 PM
Senior Shackster

I agree with a 4 ohm minimum. 2 ohm loads are bad news for amps full stop.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-12-16, 06:11 PM
Shackster

I believe it...I love the wording. I am still laughing.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-15-16, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
How did you kill that Crown XLS?
Well, I tried to break in two new stiff 18's so that they were as compliant suspension-wise as two others that I had for a year, so I fed it a sine wave in free air for 30 minutes straight.

Apparently the amp overheated or something, started making these really weird high pitched concussive sounds when the bass hit, plus my extreme low end went bye bye. Not that the Crown did well in that regard anyway, but afterwards it was just gone, started rolling off too high and even 25 hz performance suffered. There was just no beef down low but when it tried I got a 200-400 hz percussive sound that was just really weird.
post #20 of 30 Old 02-15-16, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
If you want to be well within the limits of the amp, and not under- or over-power the subs, I'd say get an amp that will dump 2KW into a 4-ohm bridge. And get one for each sub. Even if the program material mandates a huge peak, the amplifier will deliver it unclipped and the sub will respond.
The problem is that what it can do well above 20 hz isn't necessarily the same thing as what it can do below it. The Crown was pretty bad in this regard, dinky little power supply that had a limiter relay cut out everything when you tried. That's why I decided to go with Speakerpower. Apparently they don't have this issue, plus by the time you buy a separate amp for each sub, you could have a speakerpower for cheaper.