master list of hardcore'ish amps? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 30 Old 02-15-16, 05:55 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: master list of hardcore'ish amps?

Yeah, most amps in the pro-audio realm don't want to deal in subsonic signals. Many have filters to prevent that range from being delivered, as trying to fill a concert venue with meaningful response below 20Hz would require comically large amounts of power. So if you're looking to deliver 2kW, especially into a driver in free air, in the subsonic range, you can pretty much rule out anything from Crown/QSC/Yamaha/Peavey/Behringer... basically Guitar Center's entire inventory. If you've got the money, BGW claims response down to 8Hz. But they're specifically building amps for professional movie theater environments... and from my limited experience with older models, I have little trouble believing they can back those claims. However, you'll have to prepare to part with a significantly larger sum of money. The good news is that you won't be disappointed.

Based on the review of the JTR sub posted here, I'm betting the SpeakerPower plate amp is similarly satisfying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 02-15-16, 07:57 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

What about Bagend? They have a huge presence in the live music reproduction end of the business, so perhaps they have something that might work.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #23 of 30 Old 02-15-16, 09:54 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

From what I can tell on their website, Bag End doesn't have a solution that would work for the OP. They've got a processor that has a subsonic filter that can be set as low as 8Hz, but their plate amps only quote response down to 20Hz. The subs they sell dig deeper than that, but it doesn't look like they make the electronics available independently.

post #24 of 30 Old 02-15-16, 10:26 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

He listed both plate and rack amps originally though, so Bagend may indeed have something that would suit his needs. They may not as well, but it's certainly another potential option.

-Jim

post #25 of 30 Old 02-16-16, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
So if you're looking to deliver 2kW, especially into a driver in free air
Yeah that was a one time thing that I'll never try again. It's actually a pretty common thing for break-in procedures. Kicker recommends doing it in their L7 owners manual, DD car audio recommends it on their site, Mark Seaton even told me to do it. I guess that's assuming you have a nice amp though. It fried my XLS. Actually worked out for the better though because I could sell the replacement as new. But yeah no more accelerated subwoofer breaking in for me, it'll just have to be a little muffled on bass guitar for the first 80 hours. If you did do such a thing, the procedure is supposed to be something like half an hour at 1/3 to 1/2 max excursion, in free-air, just below Fs. Supposed to do in half an hour what 2-3 months worth of casual use is supposed to do.
post #26 of 30 Old 02-24-16, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Odd that nobody mentioned these.

http://www.bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Home.html
post #27 of 30 Old 02-24-16, 07:00 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
MetropolisLake wrote: View Post
Odd that nobody mentioned these.

http://www.bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Home.html
Are they actually in production? I wanted to purchase a Blackbird for a few years, but they never made it to production status so about a year ago I ultimately gave up and moved on. Shame because if they're even close to what they're claimed to be that would be an awesome subwoofer. And it's different too, which is right up my alley.

-Jim

post #28 of 30 Old 02-24-16, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Are they actually in production? I wanted to purchase a Blackbird for a few years, but they never made it to production status so about a year ago I ultimately gave up and moved on. Shame because if they're even close to what they're claimed to be that would be an awesome subwoofer. And it's different too, which is right up my alley.

Yes indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 30 Old 02-24-16, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I'm about to go crazy, the Speakerpower still isn't in yet. I haven't had subs in like a month. Come Friday, it'll be alright...
post #30 of 30 Old 04-02-16, 05:43 PM
Shackster

In all my amp testing nothing has come close to the sub 20hz performance of a SpeakerPower.

Crest CC series does really well down to 10hz.