Need help please. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 2 Old 05-14-16, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Need help please.

I am going to purchase an amplifier one version is 120 the other is 220. From my limited knowledge I am going to guess the 220 would be better? I am guessing that in theory a 120v 20a circuit puts out 2400w vs the 220v 20a 4400w. I think I read the amp will run cooler since it does not need as much current to provide the same as the 120v version. If the 220 is the way to to go then all I need is a 2-pole breaker for 220v 20a and an outlet to match ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-14-16, 06:50 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Need help please.

Your theory is half right. the 220V version will put out the same amount of power to the speakers, but it will do it for half the current draw from the wall. So instead of drawing 20A at 220V, it will only draw 10A... this assumes that you're talking about two versions of the exact same amplifier, and not a model specifically designed to put out much larger amounts of power than would typically be available on a 110V 20A circuit.

Usually, amps that are willing to put out much more than 2kW will specify one of three different conditions:
1) 220V-240V circuit
2) Multiple 110V 15A-20A circuits
or
3) 110V 30A circuit like you'd find for an electric dryer or a central AC unit.

As for supplying 220V, your theory is sound... but the practical application of that theory can be hazardous. I know more than enough to perform that operation myself, which is exactly why I'd pay someone to do it for me.