Powering sealed JL 13w7 EP2500 or XLS 2502 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-19, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Powering sealed JL 13w7 EP2500 or XLS 2502

So I plan on building a sealed JL 13w7 with EQ to hit 20hz flat, to power that little beast I was wondering if I should get an Behringer EP2500 or a Crown XLS 2502.
Personally I'd like to go with the Crown, better efficiency + no need of mods for silence, but I wonder if it can handle the task. I've read something about Crown amplifiers not being too good for subwoofers, idk if it's true, plus I can't seem to find a bench test for the XLS 2502.

So what do you guys thinks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-03-19, 08:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Powering sealed JL 13w7 EP2500 or XLS 2502

Research the built in HPF for either, for large sealed subs and 20 Hz you don't want a 20 Hz HPF for example, which lots of PA amps have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-03-19, 08:50 PM
Shackster

Check into Speakerpower if you haven't, on their site they compare themselves to Crown, but Behringer is not mentioned. Go to the comparative performance section of their site. Now I guess you really can't trust the MFG, they're always going to tell you why they are superior. All I know is I have a Speakerpower in my sub and it's never skipped a beat powering 4 18's at 4000 watts. Also, they rate their power down to 5hz, a lot of MFGs are only listing their power down to 20hz. It's true your goal is 20hz, but you want some headroom for a proper roll-off. Just my 2 cents.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-04-19, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
fusseli wrote: View Post
Research the built in HPF for either, for large sealed subs and 20 Hz you don't want a 20 Hz HPF for example, which lots of PA amps have.
Some say the XLS 2502 has, but I haven't found a word for the EP2500. The box will actually be really small with EQ

Quote:
dickfantastic wrote: View Post
Check into Speakerpower if you haven't, on their site they compare themselves to Crown, but Behringer is not mentioned. Go to the comparative performance section of their site. Now I guess you really can't trust the MFG, they're always going to tell you why they are superior. All I know is I have a Speakerpower in my sub and it's never skipped a beat powering 4 18's at 4000 watts. Also, they rate their power down to 5hz, a lot of MFGs are only listing their power down to 20hz. It's true your goal is 20hz, but you want some headroom for a proper roll-off. Just my 2 cents.
I'd love to get a speakerpower however I just can't. They're and not available in my country and way too expensive to import, so I'm trying my best to get the better of what I have available

post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-19, 06:17 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
I love my crown xls2502 . It’s silent , no fan noise like a behringer nu6000 Dsp I owned briefly . I know the behringer was rated higher power. I didn’t noticed a difference in performance or overall output. I think the crown might have hit harder and played cleaner I ran the crown with a jl 12W7 ported 5.0 Cuft box . Great for music . I think my 2- ultimax 12” sealed 2.0 cuft hit harder for home theater. That was
Two ultimax subs against one jl 12w7 . I don’t think I could ever quite get the 12w7 tamed via my Minidsp /Rew or just using the crowns Dsp with my receiver. I am now using the crown xls2502 with 2--42” h 20” r ported sono tubes with 12” Svs pci subs . The crown xls2502 can drive them to their max.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-18-19, 02:54 AM
Shackster

Mazza

I use two Crown XLS 2500's and a DCX2496 to drive my 4 subs. I've just built a tapped horn that runs flat to 17hz. My room is large as it's an open plan lounge, kitchen and dining and these amps can make the entire house shake.

IMHO I can't hear the difference between the 20hz high pass on my DCX2496 being on or off though I can measure it. For peace of mind I always leave it on.

Enjoy!

Onkyo PR-SC5509, Yamaha AX-592 (mains), Crown XLS-2500 x 2 (subs)
Behringer DCX 2496 for sub EQ, Australian Monitor SY 6125 (center and surrounds)
Klipsch KG 5.5 mains, Mordaunt Short T-1000 center
Jaycar in ceiling surrounds and backs, Subs: HiSaf x 2, SWR-1522D & SWR-1540

Last edited by Mazza; 04-18-19 at 03:48 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-19, 01:36 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

for that money you could certainly get a much better sub...but I understand totally if your in love w JL.. I built 2 JL subs for my buddy's HT 4 yrs ago and they are very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Powering sealed JL 13w7 EP2500 or XLS 2502-008.jpg  

post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-19, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
proverbs wrote: View Post
I love my crown xls2502 . It’s silent , no fan noise like a behringer nu6000 Dsp I owned briefly . I know the behringer was rated higher power. I didn’t noticed a difference in performance or overall output. I think the crown might have hit harder and played cleaner I ran the crown with a jl 12W7 ported 5.0 Cuft box . Great for music . I think my 2- ultimax 12” sealed 2.0 cuft hit harder for home theater. That was
Two ultimax subs against one jl 12w7 . I don’t think I could ever quite get the 12w7 tamed via my Minidsp /Rew or just using the crowns Dsp with my receiver. I am now using the crown xls2502 with 2--42” h 20” r ported sono tubes with 12” Svs pci subs . The crown xls2502 can drive them to their max.
That's nice to hear, you got 2 ultimate 12 in a 2 cu ft box? or is it 2cu ft for each sub?

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
for that money you could certainly get a much better sub...but I understand totally if your in love w JL.. I built 2 JL subs for my buddy's HT 4 yrs ago and they are very good.
I'd love to hear your thoughts. The 13w7 that I was going to buy sold out and doesn't seem to be coming back soon.
I could get a dayton UM18-22, but the box would be too big. If possible I'd like to stick with something smaller with a lot of excursion to compensate.

I ended up getting an EP2500, a little beat up because I bought used (due to no stocks of EP4000), but I'm making the best of it that I can. Bought a replacement fan, I'm cleaning the inside too (the smell of dust was really strong, I still don't know if it's going to stop smelling). probably gonna upgrade the PSU capacitors to 18000 uf (somebody changed one of them, so if I'm going to make things right, might aswell upgrade).

Anyway, I can't get the 13w7 anymore, I've been browsing some fi subs, EMF Audio and PSI, but idk about their SQ for non-SPL applications.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-19, 10:15 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

here it is Sir

https://stereointegrity.com/product/hst18-18-subwoofer/

Ive had Ultimax they are sadly over hyped - beware
post #10 of 12 Old 04-27-19, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
here it is Sir

https://stereointegrity.com/product/hst18-18-subwoofer/

Ive had Ultimax they are sadly over hyped - beware
Yea, I'd love to get a HST, if only they'd answer my emails asking about shipping fees to Brazil... I've tried 3 times already...