amp option - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
brandon

amp option

well..i saw alot of guys using behringer's ep 2500 for powering dual Q 18's(my plan) in setups ..however..i know that the behringer doesnt put out 2500 rms maybe somewhere around 1000 so i was thinking ..maybe the dayton hpsa 1000w plate amp might do a better job and give me a little extra features...any ideas or opinions??all is welcomed..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 08:02 PM
DerekG

Re: amp option

Lol, wut?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865

The ep2500 comes very close to rated power on all but the bridged mono low ohm load. Even then it puts out almost 4 times the dayton HSPA1000.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
brandon

it isnt rms power and the amp isnt stable at 2 ohm, it's a sales rep number..as tested by that very same dude..he says that on the same post...sorry..is rms power bu the amp cant produce 2500w for hours...not even minutes at most stable loads it produces 400 to 600 rms...:?...thats why i'm asking..lol

Last edited by meccalli; 05-22-09 at 08:15 PM.

post #4 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 08:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

What are the coils on the Q18, dual 4 ohm?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #5 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 08:59 PM
DerekG

The FI Q 18 dual one ohm 18 is rated to 1000w. You are right it won't push a 2 ohm bridged mono load for more than 2 seconds. But that it would run 2 ohm loads on two channels and pushes out between 800 and 1000 watts per channel at a 2 ohm load. So you could get the dual 1 ohm Q 18s and push them both off one ep2500. Although I bet stepping up to a good crown, QSC PLX3402 or 2 ep2500s is the better option.

You can get the Q 18 in dual 1 or dual 2 ohm coils.

Still the dayton 1000w tests to 500w which isn't anywhere near what you want for 2 Q 18s
post #6 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
brandon

500watts??....i thought that was the hspa 1000-r not the plate amp......oh btw i didnt buy the Q's as yet....still planning..im gnna buy themm to suit whatever amp i get.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-22-09, 10:38 PM
DerekG

Quote:
meccalli wrote: View Post
500watts??....i thought that was the hspa 1000-r not the plate amp......oh btw i didnt buy the Q's as yet....still planning..im gnna buy themm to suit whatever amp i get.
It was their rack mount amp, but to me it indicates how they rate their gear. I don't expect them to be any more accurate on a plate amp then on a rack mount.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-23-09, 05:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

That could have been just a bad amp. It was tested by a guy on SSA and his results showed the amp did its rated power.

We're all in this together!

post #9 of 25 Old 05-23-09, 12:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

I'm considering buying an ep2500 here Best deal I've seen, even on old threads...thought you might want to check it out.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-23-09, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
brandon

ok well i guess ill be going behringer.....so could you tell me whats the best options in running my setup-by that i mean the greatest power output with the lesser of all risks-fi Q's come in D1 & D2 coils and im gonna be running both of the single 2500.