Alternates to the EP 2500 to power a maelstrom X? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 32 Old 07-09-09, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Alternates to the EP 2500 to power a maelstrom X?

Still awaiting the driver itselfs for my sealed maelstrom x build im still considering which amp to get.

Pretty much set on the EP2500 which I can get cheap from Germany, however I need to mod it with a quiter fan so that brings total cost up just a bit and it will still generate some heat in my rack.

I stumbled over these amps produced in Denmark, its class D:

Here's the specs: (it's a PDF but in English)

DA 3200 SPECIFICATIONS:
Output Power, 8 ohms: 450 watt / ch.
Output Power, 4 ohms: 800 watt / ch.
Output Power, 2 ohms: 1600 watt / ch.
Output Power , 8 ohms bridge : 1600 watt
Output Power , 4 ohms bridge : 3200 watt

This is the "cheapest" model they have, you can go all the way up to this one:

DA 7000 SPECIFICATIONS:
Output Power, 8 ohms: 1100 watt / ch.
Output Power, 4 ohms: 1800 watt / ch.
Output Power, 2 ohms: 3500 watt / ch.
Output Power , 8 ohms bridge : 3600 watt
Output Power , 4 ohms bridge : 7000 watt

The DA 3200 has specs that gives plenty of power for atleast 1 maelstrom x as far as I can tell. Also they dont give away much heat which is a big plus in my room that has no airconditioner.

Any comments on these amps?

I've already mailed the company about some questions I have.

Here's the site, on the left are the amps: http://www.cadaudio.dk/paforst04.htm

Last edited by clausdk; 07-09-09 at 04:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-09-09, 02:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Alternates to the EP 2500 to power a maelstrom X?

The numbers look good provided it will produce the rated power in the sub bass frequency region. However, the EP2500 has ample power for your Mal-X, so unless these are less expensive, I am not sure what advantage they would be.
post #3 of 32 Old 07-09-09, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I'm not familiar with the brand, but these types of amps do not typically do as well for heavy bass duty. I'm going to guess that these are expensive as well? The power ratings may or may not be realistic. Says it's measured with fullrange 20-20khz pink noise. Also note that it mentions that there is VLF filtering, which is the last thing Id want for a sealed sub set-up.

This is all conjecture on my part, they may be great amps, or not for your app.

post #4 of 32 Old 07-09-09, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Thanks for the replies. I have mailed the company regarding some of the questions you raise.

My main concern atm with the EP 2500 is heat. I'll be stacking two of them in a semi closed cabinet in which I did install a fan at the button also.

My living room gets quite hot with all the equipment

These class D amps are a little more expensive, but not that much.

Thanks for input, likely I will start out with the EP2500 and see how it goes with the heat and all.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-09-09, 06:49 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I had an EP2500 enclosed in a very small cabinet for a long time and never had a minutes problem. I don't think it would be an issue, but still let us know how it works out and that this company says about the amps. I assume they are not available in the U.S.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-10-09, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I had an EP2500 enclosed in a very small cabinet for a long time and never had a minutes problem. I don't think it would be an issue, but still let us know how it works out and that this company says about the amps. I assume they are not available in the U.S.
That's certainly good news. I ended up ordering the EP 2500 and right now im searching for a suitable replacement fan to go with it.

I have not gotten any reply from the danish amp company yet, and it's been a few days, perhaps they are on vacation
post #7 of 32 Old 07-10-09, 03:53 PM
Ace

Quote:
clausdk wrote: View Post
That's certainly good news. I ended up ordering the EP 2500 and right now im searching for a suitable replacement fan to go with it.

I have not gotten any reply from the danish amp company yet, and it's been a few days, perhaps they are on vacation
There is a thread on this forum in which a lot of peolpe used this fan that costs under $10:
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?sku=31K9990

I'm going to order it for my fan replacement for the EP2500 if I can't find a Pabst fan replacement. The Pabst seems to have a better CFM and lower noise, but I don't know if I can find a retailer in the US who sells them.

BTW, I researched sub amps and the Behringer isn't only the best amp for the money, it scored as good if not better than many of its competitors including the Crown K2 and Velodyne SC-1250. The fan is the only issue and everyone who replaced it wrote it took them less than an hour from start to finish. The more capable members took less than 30 minutes.

I'm going to try it and I have NO skills to do such a job. I hooked up my amp this morning for the first time and I LOVE it.

Regards,
Mark
post #8 of 32 Old 07-13-09, 02:26 AM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

Class D amps are better for bass duties in general, I have used class D amps for my car subs and they were excellent. But again don't know this brand. Try to look for reviews...

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-13-09, 03:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

Quote:
clausdk wrote: View Post
I swapped the fan out on my EP2500 and used 2, low volume very low noise 12v computer fans. I reversed them so the air flow would be front to back. Worked very well for me for a long time...until recently.

I played an 80min dubstep mix (very bass heavy electronic music) at high volume, to see how hot my amp would get after reading about someone else's EP2500 getting extremely hot while watching a NIN concert.

After the mix was over, I went to feel the top of the amp and it burned my hand. I didn't feel any hot air coming out so I looked and my fans weren't spinning. I shut it off.

5-10min later I turned it on and the fans spun up just fine, so i left it on to help suck out the heat.

I have yet to be able to repeat this problem, but I do have theory's on why it happend...but I need to get it repeatable first so I can start doing experiments to positively identify the problem.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-13-09, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

I've ordered a 24v papst fan with very low noise. Also inside my home made hifi rack I've installed ventilation fans at the bottom to remove the hot from inside the rack itself. Rack is mounted on the wall and the doors are covered with wool so I can control with a remote through it. I initially thought the wool would allow air to pass through but very little do so, which is why I installed the fans afterwards.

The fans I installered are low db ones, but they are audible if no sound in the room. They seem to resonate somewhat with the cabinet itself. I tried to fix some rubber under the screws for better vibration control but didnt really work. I then installed a speed controller, so I can control the RPM!

So the cooling in the cabinet along with the papst replacement fan in the EP 2500 - I hope will be enough. Here's a few pics: