Plate Amplifier Load... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 10-28-06, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Re: Plate Amplifier Load...

Sorry F1 Fan, I was really asking brucek whether he agreed with your & my assesment of the situation. He expressed some doubts, but I believe he misunderstood how I intended to hook things up.

Just trying to get consensus, I guess...

This actually resolves my dilemma in my wiring question thread...

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 10-28-06, 09:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

OOPS sorry.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-28-06, 10:29 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
I was really asking brucek whether he agreed with your & my assesment of the situation
Yep, I agree. I did misunderstand, I thought you were trying to use the line level inputs of the powered sub. With the high level inputs, you can just use speaker wire - any gauge...

brucek

post #14 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 03:01 AM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
Yep, I agree. I did misunderstand, I thought you were trying to use the line level inputs of the powered sub. With the high level inputs, you can just use speaker wire - any gauge...

brucek
I often recommend ordinary lighting flex for high level sub connections. There is no need for speaker cable since the sub's plate amp can't see the capacitance or inductance of the cable due to the high impedance.

Having been a strong advocate of high level connections (when I had that option and no other) I changed my mind completely when I finally had access to low level connections. LFE, active crossovers and the BFD.

All of which are denied to you by high level connections. You also get a slow 6dB/octave inbuilt crossover with high level connections unless you use the sub with an AV receiver. In which case any claimed advantages for improved SQ with high level connections go out of the window anyway.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

Chrisbee, What I intend on building is a main/satellite sub system. The connections would be;

AV Receiver sub out -> BFD in -> BFD out-> NAD Amp in left & right -> NAD left & right out -> (2) 10" unpowered subs, and in parallel the Hi-level in left & right on a 15" Direct Servo plate amp.

Doing the tuning will be fun, but I believe I have methodology for that.

Paul
post #16 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 05:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Quote:
aceinc wrote: View Post
Chrisbee, What I intend on building is a main/satellite sub system. The connections would be;

AV Receiver sub out -> BFD in -> BFD out-> NAD Amp in left & right -> NAD left & right out -> (2) 10" unpowered subs, and in parallel the Hi-level in left & right on a 15" Direct Servo plate amp.

Doing the tuning will be fun, but I believe I have methodology for that.

Paul
The inclusion of more than one sub of different output abilities is almost bound to cause problems with cancellation and reinforcement due to phase and room-related issues. Perhaps you can arrange your three in a satisfactory geometry.

I don't think the BFD makes any sense controlling all three subwoofers simultaneously. Though I suppose in theory you are only equalising for one hot seat. So the response there is what matters even if you are equalising subwoofers that don't need those particular filters and not filtering frequencies for subwoofers that do.

From my own experience mismatched subwoofers produce one that completely drowns out the other(s).
post #17 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 05:49 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
From my own experience mismatched subwoofers produce one that completely drowns out the other
Yep, a mistake many people make when they get a new capable sub and think it would be a waste to get rid of their old challenged model. Unmatched subs with different frequency extension simply dumbs down the capable one....

brucek
post #18 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

My unproven concept is as follows;

I will have a pair of 10" subs handling 30hz-80hz, 1.333 octaves, which should be about what they will naturally roll off at in the sealed enclosure with no bass boost, the 15" will handle 30 hz down to below 10 hz according to the rythmikaudio.com web site, another 1.5 octaves.

The BFD is to handle any room boost, which based on what I have read will appear well above 30 hz...

This is actually a completely new installation, and will be a proof of concept, or a miserable failure if brucek is right. In any case, it'll keep me off the streets for a few days building and testing. I received the 2 titanics, an ecm8000, a mixer/mic preamp and the bfd today, my wife brought home everything but the drivers which were too heavy for her to carry to her car.

Hopefully I will have time to work on this over the weekend.

Paul
post #19 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 06:31 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
and will be a proof of concept
Sounds like an interesting idea if you can pull it off. Certainly it doesn't match the losing scenario I implied in my post where each sub outputs 'like' frequencies. You are essentially creating a system with two crossovers as opposed to one. How will you cross the 15" sub to 30Hz?

brucek
post #20 of 20 Old 10-31-06, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Paul

This presents one of the challenges. 40 hz may be more realistic, as I believe the plate amplifier on the Direct Servo has a variable 35-150hz crossover. When I order the system I can specify either a 12db or 24db slope. I'm not sure which will be best.

I plan on building the two 10's and see how they do and what their curves look like in the room before ordering the 15" DS. Brian Ding (of Rytmik Audio), while not loquacious, is knowledgable and helpful.

Paul