Behringer EP4000 - Pics - Fan Mod - ETC - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 38 Old 04-04-11, 03:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon
Re: Behringer EP4000 - Pics - Fan Mod - ETC

Quote:
LivingLoud12 wrote: View Post
hey, how good are these ep-4000 cause i have 2 ep-2500 and i love them...im powering 8-12 with 1 and the other is powering 2-18.....they give me no problems and have never gotten hot...i just whant to get me a pair of ep4000..thanks
Hi! I think they are pretty close to the same under the hood from what I understand (someone can correct me on that). If you love your ep-2500, the ep4000 should give you the same pleasure...

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 04-05-11, 01:26 AM
Shackster
demon

if these ever go bad on me ill be picking up a pair of EP-4000... I RUN MINES AT 3/4 ALMOST FULL BLAST ALL NIGHT LONG WITHOUT CLIPPING......THESE AMPS ARE THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK....
post #23 of 38 Old 04-05-11, 07:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Quote:
LivingLoud12 wrote: View Post
if these ever go bad on me ill be picking up a pair of EP-4000... I RUN MINES AT 3/4 ALMOST FULL BLAST ALL NIGHT LONG WITHOUT CLIPPING......THESE AMPS ARE THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK....
I agree, lots of power for the price!

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!

post #24 of 38 Old 04-19-11, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Josh

Hey OP here - sorry I haven't replied for awhile - I have not been receiving updates to posts that have been made to this thread - ANYWAY - the EP4000 and EP2500 seem to be exactly the same to me (I own 2 ep2500 and 2 ep4000) - if your EP2500 dies (which I doubt it will unless you absolutely torture it) you will find the EP4000 is every bit as good although I would not say it is any better/different than the EP2500 I think Behringer simply renamed the EP2500 to the EP4000 and changed the power rating to "max output" ratings which do not mean much. I have noticed the EP4000 seems to have been bumped up in price since I purchased mine from Zzounds.com. I would seriously recommend anyone who wants an EP4000 to call zzounds LIVE and talk to a rep - you would be surprised how much they will come down from website prices over the phone. Zzounds even further reduced my DCX2496 over the phone with hardly any pushback. Worth a call to a live operator.....I am not spamming zzounds in this post - just want others to know how decent they were to deal with for me personally and encourage you guys to pick up the phone and call them before you commit to anything. No matter what I am still thrilled with my Europower amps and even created a line of Behringer power amp tshirts I sell on my own website since I am such a satisfied customer! Have no fear - this is one Behringer product you will be thrilled with.
post #25 of 38 Old 11-11-11, 04:03 PM
Shackster
lucky1

Hi all, just bought a new EPX4000. have not hooked it up yet...but what a horible fan noise they have.
Did also some research, my original fans are from Bi-Sonic, 4000 rpm, 40.9 DB-A (way too loud), air flow 55.53 CFM. the best replacement fan I could find is the P9739-ND from Digi-Key, it has less air outpout but should do the trick at 24 CFM with only 21 DB-A, 1900 rpm and is 24 volt. The ones from SVC.com are for computer and are only 8-14 volts (they have less noise but have the wrong voltage). thanks all for this great site.
post #26 of 38 Old 12-17-11, 11:29 AM
Shackster
RLouis

If you hadn't seen other thread on EXP4000 fan mod go with these from Digikey. I've been running them for a while and they're just right. Good airflow, low noise

NMB Technologies 3110SB-05W-B40-E00
36 CFM
26 db (you can hear them running, but not obtrusive at all)
60 mA
post #27 of 38 Old 12-17-11, 02:34 PM
Shackster
lucky1

thanks RLouis.
i did order the P9739-ND from Digi-Key after all. i took sound level measurements before i changed them, the originals were 69 dbs from 4" away at half speed (13 volts to the fans). the new replacement fans are so noiseless, you have to put your hear right against it to hear them. i could not get a decent level of them due to ambient noise in the house, but let me tell you it's night and day! i recommend this one 100% to anyone who wants a silent fan. at $9.28 plus shipping/taxes, they are worth it.
post #28 of 38 Old 10-06-12, 05:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Behringer EP4000 - Naked Pics - Fan Mod - ETC

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
No doubt that the EP4000 is one of the great values in audio today. And it is truly great that there is a mod out there for what is the usual Achilles Heel of using a Pro Amplifier in HT, fan noise.

Very nice writeup and explanation of the procedure.
Cheers,
JJ
you say pro-amps are a good value,and im not doubting you.what do you,and others anyone who wants to answer.think about using one for the mains?not just to drive subs.
post #29 of 38 Old 10-10-12, 12:53 PM
FOH
Shackster

Re: Behringer EP4000 - Naked Pics - Fan Mod - ETC

Quote:
pharoah wrote: View Post
you say pro-amps are a good value,and im not doubting you.what do you,and others anyone who wants to answer.think about using one for the mains?not just to drive subs.
I'm not currently, however I've used an EP4000 for mains usage, ...without issue. Both hi rez SACD, and BluRay playback were fine. With that much power available, the big high energy, high crest factor transients associated with gunshots, drum whacks, etc, were handled in a manner noticeably better.

There's an extraordinary demand placed on amplification to accurately track such high peak-to-average level signals. I'm convinced that signal clipping of this peak energy can occur in many scenarios, and at lower average playback levels, than many enthusiasts think. Possessing an extra 3dB-6dB in capability with amps of double and quadruple the power of one's existing amplifier, certainly helps

Having a huge amount of extra power isn't only beneficial for subwoofers, and yes, many of these high value pro amps are suitable for mains usage. A caveat however; with significant power comes significant responsibility. I know, how cliché, but true nonetheless. Powering LCR loudspeakers with amplifiers of 200%, 300%, up to 400%, is perfectly fine as long as prudence is exercised. A speaker can absorb huge amounts of power for brief periods of time,... certainly the short periods that encompass the momentary peaks that accompany the above mentioned peak energy.

By actively listening for the onset of driver non-linearity and distress, one can discover and learn to easily avoid any of the typical thermally related failures that can be encountered with a over-powering scenario. At the audible onset of thermal compression, clear signs of a less life-like, less clear, with subtle changes spectrally ... whereby the range handled by one driver in a speaker compresses first, thus diminishing the output within that driver's range. Perhaps a "thickening", or less "snap" could be detected. These terms are subjective, for sure, but they do describe my perception of what I've experienced with regard to the active listening for compression onset.

My experimentation was prompted by both my own interest, and from some posts by Tom Danley on the subject. I experimented with it, and subsequently I'm a big fan of what many would consider overkill headoom. I prefer a system approach, with enormous amounts of power, pro drivers, distributed-multiple subs. The acoustic load is spread over a lot of drivers, each backed by a lot of power, operated well within their linear envelope. When the big snare hits, or the shotgun blasts and explosions occur, the peak headroom is there to accurately track the complex transient peak energy, .... as needed.

I've found that the added realism and clarity is wonderfully enjoyable, .... adding a degree of lifelike naturalness that's otherwise unattainable with realistic playback levels. No harshness, no cringe factor, regardless of level. Currently, my primary system, the family room HT, consists of 16.8kw plus, in a quite modest room.

Thanks and good luck
post #30 of 38 Old 10-10-12, 05:06 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

thanks for your reply.