amp choice - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 04:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Re: amp choice

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Nope, all plug ins and lights are 15amp 14/2 circuits (you can run 12/2 if you wish). 20 amp circuits must have one blade of the plug sideways.
Hey, does this apply to homes 10-15 yrs old, or to meet the current or newer code?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 04:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

all homes built after 1980 for sure, Electrical codes vary depending on area but 20amp circuits are supposed to have a plug in that has one of the slots sideways.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #13 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 04:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Please pardon the confusion, but the only plug I can remember that is different is 240V stuff such as dryers, ovens. What has the horizontal blade? Would you have to change the connector plug on a powerful amp such as the ep4000?

post #14 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 04:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

If the amp is shipped with the standard plug then your good to go. You are confusing the different voltages

120volt 15 amp is just a standard plug.

120volt 20amp is the one I linked to above and a 120volt 30 amp plug is both slots sideways
or a twist lock

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #15 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 07:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

I'm not sure if I understand this completely, but my outlets in my room don't have the sideways plug, and I'm running the EP2500 off of it. When I turn on the power to the amp, it dims the lights for a quick second. Its not an extremely noticable thing, but you can tell that it got darker for that split second.

I guess my question is, is it bad for me to run the amp off of the outlet in my room? Will the amp not be seeing its full potential?

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #16 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 07:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
When I turn on the power to the amp, it dims the lights for a quick second. Its not an extremely noticable thing, but you can tell that it got darker for that split second.
That is the amp drawing the full or close to it 20amp load for a split second as it charges the capasitors. 15amp Breakers will not trip unless it is sustained for more than a few seconds.

Quote:
I guess my question is, is it bad for me to run the amp off of the outlet in my room? Will the amp not be seeing its full potential?
If your running it hard then no you will get distortion as the amp is struggling to get what it needs but if you only run it half way dont worry about it.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #17 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 11:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
That is the amp drawing the full or close to it 20amp load for a split second as it charges the capasitors. 15amp Breakers will not trip unless it is sustained for more than a few seconds.

If your running it hard then no you will get distortion as the amp is struggling to get what it needs but if you only run it half way dont worry about it.
Well, I've clipped the amp a few times already
Usually I will run it around half power, but during movies I'll probably be using all of the power below 20hz or so.

Build log:

post #18 of 34 Old 12-16-09, 11:04 PM
Pending
Kevin

Quote:

You are fine running them on standard 15A outlets. Music/movies even for these big amps do not require massive continuous power levels. It requires short 50-60ms burst of power. Often the average power used is significantly less, on the order of 10-50W on a subwoofer with transients x10 that amount. For most loudspeakers, the average power level at standard listening levels is measured in mW (<1W). Even for a power hungry inefficient speaker if you averaged the power delivered to the loudspeaker at high listening levels it is a couple Watts, not hundreds of Watts.

If you needed power in 15 second burst at 2000W breakers would pop and things would melt and fuse together. These are not arc welders and you are not going to somehow see a huge improvement in the AC line by putting it on a 20A breaker. Otherwise we would have 3-phase audio amplifiers on 460V industrial circuits.

So use common sense, don't try running a 2400W pro-amp on a 18AWG extension cord but using it on a standard 15A household breaker is fine as long as it isn't shared with your collection of Lava Lamps.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #19 of 34 Old 12-17-09, 12:46 AM
Senior Shackster
matt

Quote:
Nope, all plug ins and lights are 15amp 14/2 circuits (you can run 12/2 if you wish). 20 amp circuits must have one blade of the plug sideways.

hmm Every house i have ever built , all our electricians use 12/2 , with 20 amp breakers. It makes sense since lighting is pretty weak.. I think you can use up to 80 watts on a single 15 amp breaker, but when it comes to multiple outlets in use 12/2 makes much more sense to me,, I just built my new garage and obviously ran 12/2 in there since those are heavier loads, but still I would never run 14/2 for outlets.. I actually think its code here too, not sure tho, along with child proof GFCI outlets..
post #20 of 34 Old 12-17-09, 09:38 AM
Senior Shackster
Raven

I have my EP2500 powering my Maelstrom 21", bridged @ 4Ohm. I have a meter running on the same circuit, and unfortunately, many other items including lights and battery backup for my projector.

Even under the heaviest of loads, I've never seen the meter read more then 10 amps. Granted, it reads slowly, so maybe I've hit 12+ but the meter was too slow to show it and it only reads around 10 amps.

But, every time I turn on the amp, the lights dim and the battery backup panics and lets out a low voltage alarm. And under heavy load from the sub, the lights in the kitchen dim.

So it works, but I'm not happy with how the house is setup, so I'm going to wire a dedicated 20 Amp circuit just for this amp, and a second one for my receiver. (and probably a 3rd one for future amps )

Also, the electrical code you want to look up is called NEC 2008. There is a good book coming out (updated) in January called Wiring a House (For Pros by Pros Series) by Rex Cauldwell. There is a version 3 out now that is great, but I'm going to pick up the new one in January. The big Black and Decker book on Wiring that says it's the updated NEC 2008 version is also a good reference to have.