A cheaper alternative to the Behringer Amps? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Exclamation Re: A cheaper alternative to the Behringer Amps?

The plate amp definitely will not have more power than the Behringer EP2500 in bridged mono or even stereo - not even close. I'm amazed nobody else has chimed in on this thread yet, as there are countless EP2500 owners, and this amp has gone through some rigorous testing - check here for actual numbers of the O Audio and Behringer.

To sum it up for you, the O Audio can barely pump out 460 watts into a 4 ohm load whereas the Behringer can produce nearly 2000 watts with a fraction of the distortion of the O Audio in bridged 4 ohm mode, and about 633 watts x 2 into 4 ohm stereo.

Get the Behringer. Until something else comes along - which we will all jump on and make it well known - it's the best bang for the buck for DIY subwoofer usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: A cheaper alternative to the Behringer Amps?

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
The plate amp definitely will not have more power than the Behringer EP2500 in bridged mono or even stereo - not even close. I'm amazed nobody else has chimed in on this thread yet, as there are countless EP2500 owners, and this amp has gone through some rigorous testing - check here for actual numbers of the O Audio and Behringer.

To sum it up for you, the O Audio can barely pump out 460 watts into a 4 ohm load whereas the Behringer can produce nearly 2000 watts with a fraction of the distortion of the O Audio.

Get the Behringer. Until something else comes along - which we will all jump on and make it well known - it's the best bang for the buck for DIY subwoofer usage.
This is the kind of advice that lead me to the Behringers.
post #33 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:12 AM
Senior Shackster

David

Quote:
tyler durden wrote: View Post
Interesting statement about the best bang for buck, as this is key for me just after Christmas!

Would you care to recommend any for my sub?
I don't know what's easily accessable in the UK.... got a link to a web site you prefer to order from?

post #34 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Quote:
dyohn wrote: View Post
I don't know what's easily accessable in the UK.... got a link to a web site you prefer to order from?
I have no preference, as I am just starting to look into the possibilities now.
post #35 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

It's all very confusing with all the conflicting reports, but these test results should help clear it up although I have to say they don't make much sense to me.

What are your thought Bryan? Still recommend the O-Audio?
post #36 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:41 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Steve has done a lot of research. I tend to believe what he says if HE personally tested it. The test pages you show aren't the same at all. They only tested the plate amp at 80Hz? Nothing in the 20 and 50Hz columns? No 50Hz for the Behringer?

Fact of the matter is that I still believe the OAudio will be more reliable, have more features applicable to subwoofer use, and be less expensive than the Behringer. If the Behringer would really do 2000W BRIDGED into 4 ohms at 0.1% across full spectrum (not just 1kHz), why wouldn't they publish that spec? Makes no sense to me. Also, look at the high frequency power rating for the Behringer. Only 450 WPC? Amp tends to go into oscillation at high frequencies when approaching the rated power? Parts starting to saturate? Not that it matters for sub use but just an indicator of overall design.

Something else doesn't quite line up. OAudio specs 105db S/N if I remember correctly. 89.5db measured tells me that either something was amiss with that amp or with the setup used to measure. A few db is one thing - 16db variance is quite something different.

ONLY 460 Watts? With a 90db efficient sub, that's more than enough.

Bryan

P.S. Time to go into football sloth mode for the day

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #37 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Enjoy! and again thanks for your input.

I really would like a plate amp that can power my sub and have plenty of head room, and the O Audio may be that amp.

Does anyone else have anything to say on this plate amp or any others in comparison to the PA amps?
post #38 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 12:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
bpape wrote:
I tend to believe what he says if HE personally tested it
No, I did not personally test it.

Quote:
They only tested the plate amp at 80Hz? Nothing in the 20 and 50Hz columns? No 50Hz for the Behringer?
The plate amp is meant for subwoofers, so he chose a frequency within the intended range. Why he didn't test lower I'm noty sure, but I doubt any major fluctuations. The Behringer is intended to be a 20-20khz amplifier, so he tested it - along with all the other standard amps - with a standard set of measurements, checking at 20hz, 1000hz, and 20khz. He kept tripping the circuit breaker with a 20hz test on the Behringer, so he couldn't get a good read on how much sustained power it could actually deliver, as he lets a sine wave run for a few minutes before recording the values (nuts in my opinion!). Any more detailed questions than that would have to be addressed to Chuck himself.

Worst case scenario, we can say power drops to maybe 1600 watts at 20hz in bridged 4 ohm.

460 watts isn't bad, but for a little bit more money, you have a much more flexible amplifier that can be used to power two such subs if you ever got the urge. If you ever get rid of the sub, you still have a usable amplifier. With the plate amp, it can really only be used for a subwoofer.

post #39 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Velti

I will place tha text after tyler_durdens...
post #40 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Thanks for that.

I am guessing there are no plate amplifiers that can match the output of the Behringer.

Given the spec of the driver is there any need for such a high output to fully utilise it, or would the O Audio amp be more than enough?

Quote:
dyohn wrote: View Post
That subwoofer has 90.4 db sensitivity which is quite high for a sub. In theory it will produce reference levels of 105db with about 30 watts input,
Is this statement really the case!?