A cheaper alternative to the Behringer Amps? - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Re: A cheaper alternative to the Behringer Amps?

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
I have modelled it already to handle 1000 watts, and give a QTC of .675. It exceeds xmax (but not xmech) by 1mm at 10hz when using maximum power.

If you want, I can reduce box size by ten litres, raise the QTC to .707 and the driver just touches xmax at full power at 10hz. Ive modelled it base on the sound of my sub which gives excellent mid bass sound quality and a good balance of depth. I know you have a good in room response as well which will play into your hands and give very good in room response below 20 hz (the Monoliths tuning point) and probably decent performance down to 10hz.
That's gone right over my head I'm afraid. (I have no idea what xmech or xmax are) although I do understand about a smaller box, and that is something I am interested in if it wont noticeably effect the range.

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Yes, they run of 12v car power.
12v could be supplied through a computer power supply if it was worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

I wouldn't worry about just slightly exceeding xmax in a simulation. That's assuming a continuous sine wave, not actual material, and as you mentioned, xmax as opposed to xmech. Should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
tyler durden wrote: View Post
That's gone right over my head I'm afraid. (I have no idea what xmech or xmax are) although I do understand about a smaller box, and that is something I am interested in if it wont noticeably effect the range.
Xmax is the limit of driver movement before serious distortion starts to occur. Xmech is the physical limit of driver excursion before it will bottom out. You need to consider both when modelling a sub. Basically Ive modelled it so the driver can use its max power without over driving, and I have one sat in my room that proves it, and is running now. It does this all naturally without the need for filters etc. I can reduce the box size a little, but theres a good chance it will affect the low end sound of the sub and give a feeling its just lacking depth a little bit.

Quote:
12v could be supplied through a computer power supply if it was worth it.
I couldnt comment on that, Ive never considered it.

post #54 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Okay, so does the amp need to be able to produce 1000w to use the driver to its full capacity in the planned enclosure?
post #55 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
I wouldn't worry about just slightly exceeding xmax in a simulation. That's assuming a continuous sine wave, not actual material, and as you mentioned, xmax as opposed to xmech. Should be fine.
Ive tested mine with material from the likes of Cloverfield on BR at reference level, and it doesnt bottom out
post #56 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
tyler durden wrote: View Post
Okay, so does the amp need to be able to produce 1000w to use the driver to its full capacity in the planned enclosure?
Without additional filters/eq, and cost, yes it does really. Half the power will give a 3db drop in capability. Also consider what I told you about adding a second sub one day if you want to. Should you fall for the charms of heavenly bass, the O-audio amp would probably stop you doing it based on cost.

A Behringer amp would give you the room for expansion.
post #57 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Just listening to the Monolith which has a 300W amp and 12" driver, I doubt whether I would ever need anything to go louder.

I am leaning towards the plate amp for cosmetic reasons, what kind of dB output would I be looking at for one of the 500w plate amps that are on offer?
post #58 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Remember what they told you about amp power vs output. For every extra 3db of output you need to double the power. So halving the power will give you a 3db drop on maximum available spl. Around 108db max in room @ 20hz.

On the Monolith, almost all manufacturer plate amps use some form of built in eq to shape the response of the sub/amp and alter what it does. We cant do that without adding in other devices. The cheapest being the BFD at around 50 second hand. Using REW though it basically gives you an auto EQ solution for under 100, which is less than half the price of the cheapest one on the market currently.
Attached Thumbnails
A cheaper alternative to the Behringer Amps?-tyler-sub.jpg  

post #59 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
TD

Hi Dan,

So the 500w amp could manage 102dB at 20hz, and the 1000w amp could do 105dB. Is that right?
post #60 of 102 Old 01-01-10, 03:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Yep, thats pretty much it, and 102db is what the Monolith is rated at. You actually can get upto 6db more than that with room gain, but how much you get isnt known until you get your sub going in there.

Of course, I cant build the sub without the plate amp. I could build one and run it off my amp for you to listen too, but your wont quite perform the same as it wont be as loud. Then modify the cabinet once your plate amp arrives.