Amp hookup - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 15 Old 03-14-10, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

Re: Amp hookup

Please help. I've got everything setup and I thought hooked up. I turn on amp and get nothing. My connections are XLR to RCA cable from subout on headunit to input 1 on EP4000, speaker wires running from two center binding posts to sub. When I turn amp on I get power light on right to come on but thats it, the signal light does not lite up. Any ideas?

I just hooked up my old infinity sub to the subout connection and it worked fine. It must be the cable, is there a way to test it?

Last edited by jimmyswan; 03-14-10 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-14-10, 07:04 PM
Joe

I downloaded the manual. Since you are connected to the center terminals, you are in bridge mode. Your input should be connected to Channel 1, and DIP switches 6&7 should be "on". As stated previously, make sure the speaker coil are in series so the amplifier sees 4 ohms. It should work, but don't forget to raise the Channel 1 level control.

Note the manual states the Channel 2 gain control must be in its left most position to prevent phase inversion. Hope this helps.

Joe
post #13 of 15 Old 03-14-10, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

Thanks for the reply Joe, but I did everything you stated and I still have nothing. No signal light lit and no sound. I dont think the amp is getting any signal from the receiver but I dont know how to verify that.

post #14 of 15 Old 03-15-10, 08:11 AM
Joe

John,

Let's try going back to basics. Put the DIP switches back to normal, and try the amp as a stereo unit. Connect a speaker to channel 1 and put a signal into it and see if it works. Then do the same for channel 2. If nothing works, take a look at the RCA to XLR cable. If you have access to an ohmmeter, the center pin of the RCA should be connected to pin 2 on the XLR, and the outer ring or ground of the RCA should be connected to pins 1&3 of the XLR since you are running in an unbalanced mode.

Since you indicated the Infinity sub works, it appears it's either the cable or the amp that's bad.

One other thing is on the subwoofer, I assume you wired the coils in series with the correct polarity; that is, input to + on the first coil, - on the first to + on the second, and - on the second coil back to the amp. Although I never tried it, I suspect if they were wired out of phase, the speaker would not respond.

Joe
post #15 of 15 Old 03-15-10, 09:45 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Also make sure the dip switches are in this position for bridge mode.
1.Right
2.Left
3.Right
4.Left
5.Left
6.Right
7.Right
8.Right
9.Left
10.Left

And this for two channel.

Left