Amp hookup - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

Amp hookup

Hope somebody can point me in right direction. I have coming a Behringer EP4000 to hookup up to an 18 Maelstrom and want to make sure I understand the proper wiring. My receiver is the Pioneer Elite 23. I also ordered a RCA to XLR cable to connect from receiver to amp and speaker wire to go from amp to sub. I figured to come from LFE plug to one side of amp and then run amp bridged to sub. This sounds to easy, am I missing something? I've never dealt with any pro audio stuff so any input would be welcomed. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 10:09 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System
Re: Amp hookup

You got it right. Just make sure you set the dip switches on the amp correctly for bridge mode and you will be good to go. When you get the amp and are ready to hook it up and have questions just ask and someone will be glad to help.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 11:09 AM
Kevin

Remember Voice Coils wired in series too. Otherwise your amp will see a 1-ohm load.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

post #4 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 01:05 PM
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

The Behringer EP4000 does not include a subsonic filter, correct? If not, where would a subsonic filter fit in this connection chain for a ported design?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I believe it does have filters. One is 50hz and one is 30hz. But you want to go lower than that with your sub anyway.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 03:27 PM
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
I believe it does have filters. One is 50hz and one is 30hz. But you want to go lower than that with your sub anyway.
Okay ... so lets imagine I want to use an EP4000 with a HP filter @ 18 Hz.

Would I disable the HP filter options presented by the EP4000 (30/50) and introduce a filter somewhere else in the signal chain? Before or after the amp? Is there a standalone HP filter module/circuit used by people in this forum?

Thanks
post #7 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 05:32 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
dboff01 wrote: View Post
Okay ... so lets imagine I want to use an EP4000 with a HP filter @ 18 Hz.

Would I disable the HP filter options presented by the EP4000 (30/50) and introduce a filter somewhere else in the signal chain? Before or after the amp? Is there a standalone HP filter module/circuit used by people in this forum?

Thanks
Yes you would set both filters to the off position. I used my sms-1 to eq and HP my sub so that is all I have any experience with. I think alot of people here use the BFD and REW with their subs, there is some info here...http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...ZrHHU1HgqT6NrA REW forum is here....http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/
post #8 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

I'm glad the question about the filter was brought up. Mine is a sealed enclosure, where do I want to set mine? I have no EQ as of now but possibly later. Thanks for the replies already.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-09-10, 07:37 PM
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
jimmyswan wrote: View Post
I'm glad the question about the filter was brought up. Mine is a sealed enclosure, where do I want to set mine? I have no EQ as of now but possibly later. Thanks for the replies already.
You don't require a high-pass filter for a sealed enclosure. For a ported enclosure the driver effectively unloads near the tuning frequency of the box which can damage the driver if not filtered. For a sealed enclosure you may want EQ to boost the low-end to flatten the response but it is not required to protect the driver. WinISD is great for modeling the response of a given sub-woofer design with/without EQ.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-10-10, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
John

Quote:
dboff01 wrote: View Post
You don't require a high-pass filter for a sealed enclosure. For a ported enclosure the driver effectively unloads near the tuning frequency of the box which can damage the driver if not filtered. For a sealed enclosure you may want EQ to boost the low-end to flatten the response but it is not required to protect the driver. WinISD is great for modeling the response of a given sub-woofer design with/without EQ.
Thank you, I will download WinISD this afternoon and play around with it.