Amps for subs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bambino

Amps for subs

I noticed that most folks on this site are using the beheringer amps to drive there subs i know that there are several other options out there but just wondering what the other guys are using and at the same price point or has the beheringer been the most reliable and powerful of the pro sound amps available? Is it the most flexable as far as bridging go and able to run cleaner and more powerfully then others, your guys input would be great as i am in the market for somthing to drive my 2 15'' dual 4ohm subs. And if i put this post in the wrong location please move it to it's proper thread locations. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 03:02 AM
Banned!

Re: Amps for subs

I have moved your post to the DIY section so some of the DIY experts can assist bambino
post #3 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bambino

Once i started threading i figuerd i should have put it somewhere else, Thanks.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 11:40 AM
Senior Shackster

David

The Behringer amps provide a lot of oomph for the price and can be an excellent solution for some subwoofer applications. That being said, they are pro-line designs and as such can have fan noise, s/n and distortion issues depending on how you use them, plus they require using XLR inputs which can be problematic for some users. Since they are not designed as subwoofer amplifiers an external low-pass crossover and possibly a subsonic filter will need to be provided from some other device.

Depending on your needs, you might be better off using a dedicated subwoofer amplifier. You mention using 2 DVC 4-ohm drivers. What's the make and model and how are they being used?
post #5 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bambino

They are kicker cvx car subs set up in separate boxes, right now they have to be wired at 8ohms so i don't kill the dayton HPSA1000s i have driveing them. Thats why i was thinking pro sound amps as they can deliver more power at a lower impedance then i'm currently able to do.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 12:54 PM
Elite Shackster

The Behringer amps arent bad. The S/N ratio was always considered a non issue personally, but I did notice Audyssey auto setup pick up on it and found it a bit picky in that regard so there are improvements to be had, but they cost, and any improvements over Behringers will cost considerably more. That said, the S/N ratio has never been an audible issue for me, only with Audyssey.

Also, you can use phono (RCA) connectors via an adapter just fine which is what I do, so the XLR inputs can be dodged easy enough.
post #7 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

If you're going with a 2 ohm load then a Behringer would be a good choice. As David pointed out, you'll also need a hi-pass filter like the Reckhorn B1.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #8 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bambino

Can the behringer run two seperate 2ohm loads so i could drive both subs off one amp or would i need two? Thanks for the input guys.

Mike by the way i just put the twins down for there nap so i can get to finishig the second sub, can't wait!
post #9 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 01:44 PM
Senior Shackster

David

Quote:
bambino wrote: View Post
They are kicker cvx car subs set up in separate boxes, right now they have to be wired at 8ohms so i don't kill the dayton HPSA1000s i have driveing them. Thats why i was thinking pro sound amps as they can deliver more power at a lower impedance then i'm currently able to do.
Using Comp VX in the home is probably the problem, not the amount of power you have going to them. What sort of enclosures are you using?
post #10 of 23 Old 03-24-10, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

bambino

Where can i find the rechorn B-1? The sight i pulled it up on was in german, i have a hard enough time time speaking english. LOL!