Any reason whyI can't use an EPX amp? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 05-21-10, 04:30 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

Re: Any reason whyI can't use an EPX amp?

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

What kind of problems have you guys had with switched mode amps? Iím using a Carvin with my subs and havenít had any problems, but that may be because it has way more power than I really need?

Regards,
Wayne
I wrote cheap one doesn't meet their spec or i would not trust them anyway, i own many pro amp all with a nice chunk of iron inside and some are +25 years old and never let me down hurry i need a piece of wood to knock on it .

I would buy a QSC PLX without hesitation, Peavey, Crest and the hi-end Crown model like their XTI6000,Itech new Macro serie with switching power supply or their venerable CE4000, Carvin i do not have experience with them but look promising.

Some will say but they use less electricity, why not turn them off when done so would not change much on the utility bill, this is like the guy buying a big 4X4 and not having money to put fuel in.

If you are in the market to get amps well up to you at that point but back to cheap vs proven amplifier, when i'm buying stuff even used i always look at the warranty they offer this usually tell you something, i hate buying disposable stuff and now most large sound compagny are selling their older amps for cheap because of the weight so they do save on back problem and fuel.

Just have a look over at avs forum like mdrake wrote the XTI 1000 was tested and did not deliver the goods not only at 20 hz but all across the spectrum IMHO http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13869426, on the other hand Peavey did sent their new D class amp that is dirt cheap the IPR1600 to Chuck who did test it and delivered is rated power which is probably the way to go if you are tight on coins and keep in mind you are buying from a compagny that is doing R&D and not reverse engineering product from other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-21-10, 05:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
fredk wrote: View Post
The EPX amps may not offer more power than the EPs, but the offer up a lot less power consumption. That is an issue for those of us in older apartments with a limited number of circuits.
To my understanding it's a generic class AB1 amp with a SMPS. Consumption won't be much different if at all from another mains frequency PS amp of the same power. The SMPS is used mainly to save weight for rigs that move.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-21-10, 06:28 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

H class to be more accurate.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-21-10, 06:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
kouack wrote: View Post
H class to be more accurate.
Semantic difference as it's an AB core with rail switching.

My comment was to differentiate it from class D PWM type amps.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-21-10, 08:00 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

You are right H class is a AB on Steroids
post #16 of 21 Old 05-26-10, 09:48 AM
Shackster

According to the description on Behringer's website, the EPX has a built-in Subwoofer/Satellite crossover. They also show a diagram where the amp is connected to a subwoofer and two satellites. I assume this means the amp is appropriate as a subwoofer amp. To the best of my knowledge, the EP does not have a crossover.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-26-10, 03:14 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

Quote:
Big D wrote: View Post
According to the description on Behringer's website, the EPX has a built-in Subwoofer/Satellite crossover. They also show a diagram where the amp is connected to a subwoofer and two satellites. I assume this means the amp is appropriate as a subwoofer amp. To the best of my knowledge, the EP does not have a crossover.
Have you ever seen Behringer saying their product is not good for something or any other brand matter of fact
post #18 of 21 Old 05-27-10, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

The Face amps that Kevin Haskins recommends for subs are the same topography as these Berhinger units...but likely much higher quality
post #19 of 21 Old 05-27-10, 05:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Big D wrote: View Post
There is no manual available for download, but the quickstart guide shows it as a fixed 100Hz and doesn't define the slope, so the inbuilt xover is of dubious practical value.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-28-10, 02:40 AM
Shackster

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
There is no manual available for download, but the quickstart guide shows it as a fixed 100Hz and doesn't define the slope, so the inbuilt xover is of dubious practical value.
You are correct about the crossover, but the manual gives the slope. The crossover is fixed at 100Hz and the slope is 12dB. My understanding is that you can bypass the built-in crossover.

Here is the manual and brochure for download:

Manual: http://www.behringer.com/EN/download...0A1X_OI_EN.pdf
Brochure: http://www.behringer.com/EN/download...WeBrochure.pdf

Last edited by Big D; 05-28-10 at 02:51 AM.