Low subwoofer signal? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 05-26-10, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dan

Low subwoofer signal?

Hello,

I have the europower ep4000 bridged mono at a sdx15 driver at the moment.

My problem is that the signal from AVR subwoofer preout is to low for the ep4000 resulting in very low output from the subwoofer itself. I've read some threads about this and people fix it by using samson s converter.

Have a reckhorn b-2 I hooked up. This greatly improves the output, but I dont like to have to boost the signal to get improved response..

Ordered the samson converter today, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I want to equalize and do some room corrections, with the Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP-1124P.

If I get the DSP and hook it up, will I still have to use the samson s converter? Something tells me that the DSP performs the same task as the samson converter does..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-26-10, 10:07 AM
Shackster

Re: Low subwoofer signal?

Quote:
rodsprit wrote: View Post
Hello,

My problem is that the signal from AVR subwoofer preout is to low for the ep4000 resulting in very low output from the subwoofer itself. I've read some threads about this and people fix it by using samson s converter.

Have a reckhorn b-2 I hooked up. This greatly improves the output, but I dont like to have to boost the signal to get improved response..

Ordered the samson converter today, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I want to equalize and do some room corrections, with the Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP-1124P.

If I get the DSP and hook it up, will I still have to use the samson s converter? Something tells me that the DSP performs the same task as the samson converter does..
I own the Behringer EP4000. Initially, I used an RCA to XLR cable and the signal was really low. I had to raise the level on the amp all the way up. I bought a Samson S-Convert and immediately I had to lower the level on the amp. The Samson S-Convert works perfectly out of the box. Just use the factory default settings. You need an RCA sub cable to connect the sub out from the receiver to the S-Convert and a cable with male XLR on one end and female XLR connector on the other end to connect the S-Convert to the amp.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-26-10, 03:46 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

Quote:
Hello,

Let me guess your AVR is a Pioneer, Without boosting your signal how do you think you can achieve full output of the EP4k? if you did some research like you are saying you probably did find out people are using the BFD for this specific reason and the convenience of the EQ built in as well. Also are you sure EP4k is set properly, does your AVR is adjusted properly IE the output is not set at -30db or the surround is not set at +10db compare to the sub.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-26-10, 04:43 PM
Elite Shackster

I use a phono to headphone jack and dont have any problems at all, perhaps its worth trying that method too, and possibly cheaper than the s-convert?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-26-10, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dan

Quote:
kouack wrote: View Post
Let me guess your AVR is a Pioneer, Without boosting your signal how do you think you can achieve full output of the EP4k? if you did some research like you are saying you probably did find out people are using the BFD for this specific reason and the convenience of the EQ built in as well. Also are you sure EP4k is set properly, does your AVR is adjusted properly IE the output is not set at -30db or the surround is not set at +10db compare to the sub.
harman kardon avr 745. I don't think the reckhorn boost the signal the same way or as good as the samson converter does.

Bought samson converter online yesterday, and today I purchased the DSP-1124P.
Should I return the samson converter or is there any benefit to using it??
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-10, 06:08 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

Im surprise, i own a HK and not problem at all, the BFD should be enough, since you already bought the sanson box just wait till you try the BFD alone and once satisfied just return it.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-10, 10:28 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
The equalizer is “unity gain,” meaning it outputs the same signal level that is input, coupled with the gain of any filters applied. IOW, the BFD is not a level-boosting component like the S Convert.

How do you have the amp connected? Use a RCA to 1/4” TS (mono) cable and the amp should convert the signal to line level. That might not happen if you’re using a RCA to XLR cable, which might explain the low signal level.

Also, check your AVR’s sub output level. If it can be increased, do it.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #8 of 11 Old 05-27-10, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Dan

Thanks for reply,

I use rca to jack. The AVR is +10db on sw, which is max. I'm getting good results, but I would like to turn it up even more. Would want it to be like this with my AVR set to 0db gain.

How should I connect?
AVR -> samson -> DSP -> amp, or AVR -> DSP -> samson -> amp
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-10, 04:39 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
I use rca to jack. The AVR is +10db on sw, which is max. I'm getting good results, but I would like to turn it up even more.
If you want to do that merely for a better blend between the mains and sub, that’s fine. I guess you do know that increasing the level of the input signal will not increase amp’s power output?

You might try this experiment. Disconnect all your speakers from both the AVR and sub amp, and turn the AVR volume up all the way (or to the 0 dB setting, if you prefer). If you’re able to activate the sub amp’s LED clip indicators, then you’re getting all you’re going to get out of the amp. If that’s the case, all the S-Convert is going to get you is a means to increase the bass level compared to the mains. This also means the amp will clip sooner than it would otherwise.

Quote:
How should I connect?
AVR -> samson -> DSP -> amp, or AVR -> DSP -> samson -> amp
Either way is fine.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-10, 10:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

In addition to what Wayne has posted....Is your trim on the amp all of the way up? You ideally don't want to have your SW out turned up too much and definitely not maxed out.

In case it is not known already the knobs on the front of the amp are not gain/volume controls and it has no relation to the amps maximum output capabilities. Any time that you have the trims less than full it is attenuating the incoming signal/amps sensitivity. The first thing to do is crank that all of the way up if you are having volume issues, then adjust the AVR's SW out level to further boost or fine tune.