Amp for DIY sub - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
tom

Amp for DIY sub

I just checked PE's website and now the due date on the Bash 500 amp is 4/6/07. I am not willing to wait that long. I need some help locating an amp now. What would you reccomend? It will be pushing a Dayton Titanic 15" in 300 liters ported. The enclosure is not finished yet so tuning and volume are still up for change.

I can get the Dayton 540 Watt plate amp for $250, but are there better options for that price? The Behringer amps are talked about on here alot, but how do you implement crossovers with those rack amps?

In summary, I need to know where to get 500+ watts for $250 or less. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 08:28 AM

Aaron

Re: Amp for DIY sub

With a Behringer or any other pro amp, you have to build your own highpass filter. See the links for some examples.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/active-filter.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/project99.htm
post #3 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
tom

How hard is it to build one of those crossovers? Also, how much does it cost to build one?

Changing the rumble filter on the Dayton amp voids the warranty, that worries me slightly as I feel the factory setting of 18hz is too high. Is anyone familiar with changing the rumble filter on the Dayton 540watt plate amp?

post #4 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 09:26 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Quote:
letzleta wrote: View Post
How hard is it to build one of those crossovers? Also, how much does it cost to build one?
I guess it depends on how familiar you are with assembling electronics. It's not a terribly complicated circuit, but if you want to do it nicely, it can be a little work. In college, we made printed circuit boards using a process that's somewhat similar to photography. Other options are to put it on a "bread board" or "wire wrap" on a pre-drilled board. I would probably pass on those options due to reliability concerns. You could also solder on a pre-drilled board, which is more time consuming, but will improve reliability over everything but the PCB. Once you're done with assembly, put it all in a nice little box. I think you would be fine to use a little wall wart power supply.

The parts aren't that expensive. I'm thinking less than $40 even counting the power supply and box. I'm pretty sure you could get all the parts at Radio Shack or online at Mouser, Digi-Key and maybe PE... FWIW, it's amazing how much wall warts cost at Radio Shack (IIRC, they can easily go up to $20). They're super easy to find at any thrift store for about $1. I'm not a big thrift store shopper, but when I do hit one, I always poke around for power supplies. I don't care if the plug on the end fits anything I have or not; it's so easy to change the plug with a $2 part from RS.

I don't know anything about modifying the HP filter on the Dayton. If it's a simple mod, I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it were on my amp. I bet modding the fan on the Behringer will void the warranty, and I was ready to do that until I moved that amp to the basement.

BTW, I use a Behringer EP 2500 with no high-pass filter in an IB configuration. I haven't had any real problems running that way, but this thread makes me consider putting a HP filter at about 10 Hz...

-- Otto
post #5 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 10:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Try this OAudio amp or this Rythmik Amp. The OAudio one is pretty tuneable and the Rythmik one can be ordered with whatever rumble filter you want. They both have more switches and knobs then the PE one.

All that being said, I ordered two of the 500W Dayton BASH amps last year and they haven't arrived yet. I don't want to cancel my order as last year's price was way low. I have a BFD so the extra knobs mean less to me.

Last edited by BoomieMCT; 02-06-07 at 10:17 AM.
post #6 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
tom

Boomie... thats funny because I had that rythmik amp in my watch list on ebay.

Which brings me to my next question... will I notice a difference between 540 watts RMS and 380 watts RMS? Will 380 be enough for the Titanic?
post #7 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 10:23 AM

Aaron

Looks like the price on the Nady XA-900 has dropped down to $150. 400W/ch @ 2 ohms, 300W @ 4 ohms, 200W @ 8 ohms, 675W bridged mono @ 4 ohms.
post #8 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 10:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Quote:
letzleta wrote: View Post
Boomie... thats funny because I had that rythmik amp in my watch list on ebay.

Which brings me to my next question... will I notice a difference between 540 watts RMS and 380 watts RMS? Will 380 be enough for the Titanic?
Peak output will be 1-2 dB less. Whether or not you notice the difference depends on your listening tastes and room size.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 10:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Quote:
JorgenMan wrote: View Post
Looks like the price on the Nady XA-900 has dropped down to $150. 400W/ch @ 2 ohms, 300W @ 4 ohms, 200W @ 8 ohms, 675W bridged mono @ 4 ohms.
Where? I'd like to check that out.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-06-07, 10:27 AM

Aaron

Quote:
BoomieMCT wrote: View Post
Where? I'd like to check that out.
Musician's Friend, musician.com, just google "nady xa-900".