Anyone ever DIY the amp section? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Anyone ever DIY the amp section?

Any of the subwoofer guys here, that is. :P

Plate amps are nice but have their limitations, and class H type pro amps are great except they're huge, loud and heavy, and esoteric audiophile amps are often overpriced, underpowered and unecessary for this purpose. Actually, for their own purpose too, which is why I was looking at the hypex Ucd400 to make a pair of monoblocks for stereo listening when I noticed their more powerful offerings... the Hypex Ucd700 and UcD2k modules look just right for most of our purposes.... seems like an interesting alternative; if possibly more expensive than an EP4000. I'm sure there's other class D type modules out there with the same type of output ability, and in these lower frequencies even traditional class D designs work well... so I just got a bit curious if anyone here's done anything of the sort...

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-16-10 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 05:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Anyone ever DIY the amp section?

I used to build a lot of amplifiers, and still do occasionally. I just don't find it good value in terms of cost, time and performance on the whole; second hand is better. However, for someone who hasn't done it before, it can be a great learning experience and well worth the effort even if the cost is higher. Plus you can build it to a higher spec than a commercial manufacturer can.

Oddly, I didn't find it listed at the Hypex shop, but in another site for €379 or ~ $US529 + postage, duties etc if applicable. To make this into a complete plate amp, you'll need at least a PSU (transformer, rectifiers, caps or SMPS), a case, heatsinking, connectors, low pas filter (and most likely high pass filter) and some EQ. These last couple you can get from a MIC2200 or similar. Then there will be a myriad of little parts you'll find you need as you go along; usually at 2am or Sunday afternoon when the stores are closed.

For DIYers, unless you can make your own, the case is often the hardest part. Plate amp chassis are not common and a decent 2RU chassis will be $50 or likely more. Experience has made me reluctant to mount electronics anywhere that vibrates if I have another choice.

PSU transformer will be >$100, for example the Antek AN10450, and maybe $60-100 for the rest of the parts. Note the Tx is rated for 1kVA and this is the absolute minimum I would use; ideally it would be better to use two of these.

You'll need to read the application notes and determine how much heatsinking is required, but if you intend to use it very hard, assume you'll need to dissipate 200W or so. Better to overdo this for a few extra $ than have the amp fail.

Add another $50-100 in misc parts and you should be just about there.

Note, I'm in Australia, so I just did some quick googling to look for parts. What you can come up with and for what cost via local or other sources, you'll need to find for yourself.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Well it is a bit cheaper at the hypex shop..

Which would come out to roughly ~450 us or cdn

post #4 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 06:30 PM
Senior Shackster

That's a better price and I'm surprised I missed it as I did look. You'll still need all the other bits though.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 06:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Forgot to mention that I've had some of the smaller Hypex modules, LC Audio and Tripath units (41Hz). The Hypex seemed he best and generated the least RF hash. Bruno Putzys knows his stuff.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
That's a better price and I'm surprised I missed it as I did look. You'll still need all the other bits though.
Oh I'm not building it, I've already got a tapco J2500. What I'm maybe next year thinkin of building is a pair (or trio) of UcD400 monoblocks. It's either that or emotiva/outlaw's 200w monoblock offerings, and I really want to go class D plus it doesn't seem too convoluted

It's just that the UcD2k piqued my interest and I figured I'd see if anyone's done it over here for a sub. I may have considered it if I didn't already have the tapco.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-16-10 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-10, 06:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
What I'm maybe next year thinkin of building is a pair of UcD400 monoblocks.

It's just that the UcD2k piqued my interest and I figured I'd see if anyone's done it over here.
Plenty of builds and more tech details on diyaudio including posts from Bruno and Mathis (sp?) from Hypex.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-04-10, 07:37 PM

Currently doing a build will post when done!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-10, 11:42 AM
Shackster
Steve

I was trying to post a website which has several amp projects including a sub amp. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts yet to have that privilege. I have built the P3A and P101 and found them to be very good amps (google Ellliott Sound Products). There is a subwoofer amp project with PCB's available as well.
Steve